It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ETC light is flashing -what the?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:38 am 
LOST Addict

The ETC light started flashing on the dash. No codes present and it seems to come and go at various times. It will pop up when I start it in the morning, and the disappear on next start up for a few start cycles then pop up again.

I did a search here and other places and checked the usual things, suspected chaffed wires, battery voltage, etc. I also pulled off the CAC to engine hose and cleaned the Intake Throttle (aka Flow Control Valve) and it seemed to be working ok anyhow still clicking away on shutdown in the usual way.

I don't have any floor mat problems where they interfere with the accelerator, and the connector on the accelerator is firmly connected and wires all intact.

So any ideas? I don't want to take it to a dealer because they cost me big time.

Post subject: Re: ETC light is flashing -what the?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:23 am 
LOST Addict

Do you brake with your left foot?

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:32 am 
LOST Addict

Glen,

What kind of code reader do you have? On export CRDs the ETC light flashes when there is a failed glow plug based on my recollection.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:15 pm 
LOST Addict

That was my first thought too. Glow plugs.

I'm Toight... Toight lik a Toiger.

And

When I go to the Toilet, Chuck Norris is there to tear the squares off for me.

"Pass me another one Chuck, and keep em coming!! On sencond thoughts..Go get the hose"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:50 am 
LOST Addict

If you touch the throttle with your left foot on the brake it will trigger the ETC light.

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:16 am 
LOST Junkie

DOC4444 wrote:
If you touch the throttle with your left foot on the brake it will trigger the ETC light.

DOC

What he said! Been there, done/seen that... :rockon:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:30 pm 
LOST Junkie

DOC4444 wrote:

DOC

Except Glend is running a GDE Tune which should have disabled that from happening.

Provent @ 43,000 km
SEGR in progress
SAMCO Sport hoses @ 48500 km
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:37 pm 
LOST Addict

Thanks for the replys guys. In order of asking:

Touching the brake and accelerator at the same time was my initial thought as well but the problem has come and gone a couple of times and I have been careful to avoid that and don't do it as any sort of normal driving practice because I know it can cause system problems.

I have a cheap ebay code reader but it reads both engine and transmission codes and has picked up things in the past so I think it would get the code that is normally displayed or held in memory. But it is not a Jeep scanner and I really want to avoid taking it in to the service guys because of the risk of them reflashing (yes I know I can reflash back to GDE but I haven't got the dongle thingee setup yet).

Re the possible Glow Plug, my reading of the Service Manual on this is not clear about what the cause could be. It does seem to happen first thing in the morning. I should point out it is the middle of summer down here and the starting temperature would be maybe 70F in the morning and it never gets really cold here. I do allow a few seconds in the morning for the glow plugs to warm up as is my normal practice anyway. The rest of the day would see the temps rise into the 90Fs. I still have the original glow plugs in the KJ but I have a set of the trial metal ones sitting on my workbench. Perhaps there is a glow plug diagnostic failing on cold start, but it runs fine and starts fine.

Here is more info on the problem from things I have tried over the last view days:

It does seem to be an event that happens early in the day which led me to focus on the battery charge state or a possible cold open circuit wire which makes the circuit when it gets hot and expands (far-fetched I admit).
I had the battery on the charge overnight and the problem still appeared on first start up.

I discussed the problem with a Sydney Jeep CLub member and an experienced Chrysler Jeep Service Mechanic and he led me to believe it could be related to the Flow Control Valve operation or the accelerator module. I have removed the CAC to engine hose and cleaned the flow control valve butterfly and throat although having had a Provent installed since new and running the ECO tune it was very clean already. The Flow Control Valve makes it's normal shutdown noises (most of the time - sometime I can't hear it for ambient noise reasons).

So in a nutshell, does not appear to be FCV related. No obvious chaffed wiring. Primarily happens early in the day - immeadiately (say 5 seconds) after the start up lamp test and sequence, there is a bing and the ETC light starts to flash (it never goes to steady on) and continues to flash until I shutdown no matter how long I drive it. No code showing during this period.

Can we clarify what can trigger the ETC in export models? Keith does GDE have any input on that?

Thanks for your help.