It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Liberty Torque Converter Alternative!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

So we are about a week out on pricing. Will be selling in our DX2 store on the website. I will be posting all the included upgrades later this week.

www.dynamicdiesel.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

So I post the following in the KJ forum group at JeepForun.com:

"Greetings,
  It seem that my transmission completely disengaged ( for lack of any other way to describe the phenomena) while I was driving on my way to work this morning on the freeway.  It didn't come out of gear, per say, it just all of a sudden ceased transferring power from the engine to the wheels (BTW- I drive full time with the transfer case in full time 4 wheel drive).  I coasted to the offramp of the freeway and pulled off to the shoulder.  I put the transmission into 'PARK' and that worked.   I checked the transfer case by first positioning it into 'NEUTRAL' which caused the jeep to roll forward predictably.  Then I positioned the transfer case into each position from '2WD' all the way to '4WD Lo'.  Each time in each position, the transfer case engaged as it should have normally.  Now when I tried all of the  transmission positions ('R' 'D' '2' and  '1'), the vehicle wouldn't move forward and acted as if it were in 'N'-Neutral and the engine would just rev up as I applied the throttle.   I think I hear a high pitched but subtle whirring whining sound as I rev the engine.   The engine seem to run normally.   I checked the transmission fluid and it is at the correct level and didn't have any abnormal smell, look or consistency.   I can't think of anything else and from the looks of it, it sound like it might possibly be the torque converter rather than a major transmission problem.  Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that I've been told that in some newer transmissions, plastic bands are used instead of gears. Whether it be the transmission or torque convereter, I'm one to replace with aftermarket and heavy duty and I don't mind paying for it as long as I get what I pay for. I'll always opt for overkill and not skimp with crappy and cheap. Ok, I'm ready for any and all input and advice from my fellow 'Jeep Forum' peeps. "

So now I'd like to hear it from this forum. Who make heavier duty trannys and TC's for our Libby's. Whatchya think?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Where are you located and what model year KJ CRD do you have? I cannot comment on your symptoms directly but the "plastic" torque convertor parts were only used relatively early in the 2005 model year and all those torque convertors "should" have been replaced under the F-37 recall. It's highly unlikely to near impossible that one of those early torque convertors that was not so replaced would have lasted this long but if on did and only now went out I'd think there would be a good chance that it would be replaced for free under the F-37 recall and with any luck at all the only TC replacement available would be the heavier duty "Euro" TC.

Right now the common TC upgrade is the Jeep "Euro" TC or the aftermarket Suncoast although the folks that started this chat may have a 3rd alternative. There also, I think there is mention of it in this chat, a California outfit that has a TC upgrade in the $200 range but I cannot comment on "quality". Finally I suspect any good TC rebuilding shop could custom build you a TC if they had the right specs.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:54 pm 
LOST Addict

It could be that your torque converter took a dump, but maybe the bolts holding it to the engine flexplate sheared off. Should be easy to tell if it's the latter.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm in So Cal. If I crawl underneath the jeep, how can I tell if its the bolts that might have sheared from the flex plate? I it is the TC, I'm thinking about upgrading to a Suncoast. How about Trannys and transfer cases? Should I stick to the stock or are there a heavier duty aftermarket trannys and transfer cases available? Also, in my quest to learn more, I'm seeing such words as 'Striker', F37, GDE, and so on.... anybody wanna sell me a dictionary of KJ terminology?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:22 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

travelndog - best place to start for a KJ CRD dictionary and all around introduction is to read Sam's NOOB guide.

PS check out viewtopic.php?f=5&t=65062&p=717444#p717444 on access to the TC bolts.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

I would be interested in this middle of the road option... The billet cover is worth a little extra $$$ over a stocker any day. The billet stator is also nice to see, do you plan to furnace braze the turbine fins? What lining are you planning to use on the apply piston, raybestos, alto, borg-warner? Or do you actually plan to use an HD friction plate that allows for double the friction surface (as with the HD single disc converters for full sized diesel trucks)?

Either way, if this piece has what you've already mentioned, and comes in closer to say $500, I'd be all over one in a heartbeat!

BTW, Rusty at TCS has been looking to dig into one of these converters and does all his manufacturing in house as well. He says there's been a lot of interest from his customers, it might be worthwhile to give him a call. He may be interested in helping you get these into production :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

Sorry guys shops been pretty busy. Hard to balance tech duties and getting a TC ready as well. I am really close on a final price. Looks like it will be 500-600 plus core. Working on getting the core price down. I will list all internal parts hopefully early next week. Hang in there. So our new splash page is www.jeeplibertydiesel.com for now. Go take a look and give me some feedback.

Jeff

www.dynamicdiesel.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

Any update on this. I was towing my 5000lb camper the other day and noticed the first signs of shudder. On the same note where can I find prices for the Euro TC. I can't find any recommended suppliers in the message forums and would like to use someone the boards have experience with if this thread OP doesn't have something ready in time.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:16 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Any of the online OEM Mopar suppliers will do depending on who has it at what price. My parts notes show the Euro torque converter original part number as 68037142AA but that it is now apparently available only as a rebuild with part number RL037142AA.

That said I went with the SunCoast. If you are within reasonable driving distance of Ft. Walton Beach, Florida I'd highly recommend a trip there. Dropping the tranny on a KJ is not a simple task and SunCoast does installs. It was a long day what with the ca. 3hr drive there and back but I got the SunCoast converter with Transgo pump kit installed, full tranny fluid change, new tranny filters, and inspection of the tranny including all the clutches except for the indestructable 1st and reverse. Many thanks to Ron Wolverton and his staff it was worth every penny to be positive it was done once and done right.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:11 pm 
LOST Junkie

papaindigo wrote:
Any of the online OEM Mopar suppliers will do depending on who has it at what price. My parts notes show the Euro torque converter original part number as 68037142AA but that it is now apparently available only as a rebuild with part number RL037142AA.

That said I went with the SunCoast. If you are within reasonable driving distance of Ft. Walton Beach, Florida I'd highly recommend a trip there. Dropping the tranny on a KJ is not a simple task and SunCoast does installs. It was a long day what with the ca. 3hr drive there and back but I got the SunCoast converter with Transgo pump kit installed, full tranny fluid change, new tranny filters, and inspection of the tranny including all the clutches except for the indestructable 1st and reverse. Many thanks to Ron Wolverton and his staff it was worth every penny to be positive it was done once and done right.

But did you drive it like you stole it on the way home?

Provent @ 43,000 km
SEGR in progress
SAMCO Sport hoses @ 48500 km
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Only a little bit but enough for me.