It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why are these things impossible to hate?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:10 am 
LOST Member

I purchased my CRD with 47,000 miles on 9/24/2011
Today marks the 5 month mark and i have put 10,000 miles on it.

10/03 - alternator decoupler went
10/15 - previous owner installed daystar spacers were replaced with OME/bilstein
10/15 - neww UCAs installed
10/15 - new front rotors and pads
10/17 - alignment
10/31 - new thermostat
12/07 - new torque converter
01/25 - front left wheel bearing, parking brake shoes and hardware, rear brake pads
02/02 - rear drive shaft u joints
02/04 - front left lower ball joint
02/06 - serpentine belt
02/16 - serpentine belt and belt tensioner
02/20 - finally removed rear spacers and installed the other half of the ome/bilstein set

2/24 - sitting at mechanic to diagnose the humming noise i have been searching for in the front left. Also a loud clunk when going forward to reverse with wheel turned. And finally, a leaking seal at the front differential.

Without the bill that i will get tomorrow, and doing most of the work myself, and the torque converter being covered under warranty, I have spent $2,700. Thats a 27 cents per mile maintenance cost.

This list was repairs only. It didn't include the GDE hot tune and flash tool, the double din navi, speakers, the roof lights, hella bumper lights, HID's, led interior lights, larger treadwright tires, and bluetooth obd scanner, and all the other crap that is still on my list to buy for this ungrateful b!t*h

Everyone who knows me tells me to get rid of it...what i cant figure out is....why don't i want to get rid of it...why don't i hate it...why don't i say its a piece of crap that always needs a repair...WHY DO I LOVE THIS TRUCK SO MUCH? Its literally like dating a stripper....everyone around you tells you to get out fast, everything inside you tells you that you're an idiot, there are short lived moments of total love and excitement followed quickly by moments of regret and sorrow. But every morning you wake up and love her. And every time she leaves, you take her back.

OK im done now...i just needed to get that out. There isn't anyone i could talk to that would understand...except for you guys.

OME 790 and Bilstein 916 up front
OME 948 and OME N132L in rear
245/75/16 Treadwright Warden A/T on Richard Cepek DC-2
Euro torque converter
Renegade roof lights
Pioneer Z110bt double din navi w/ reverse cam

Post subject: Re: Why are these things impossible to hate?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:29 am 
LOST Member

Sounds like to me you've got an awesome Liberty now!

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport CRD: Samco, No Muffller, EGR removed, Mechanical Fan Back On, Rancho RS5k's, Self Installed Rockers, Lifters, Engine Mounts, and Timing Belt, CCV to Airbox Mod, Hacked RB1, CD-Changer, AuxInput; 2005 PowerStroke Excursion 6.0: Rancho 9k's, SuperChipped, Stock otherwise. BioDiesel Maker.

Post subject: Why are these things impossible to hate?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:30 am 
LOST Junkie

Haha. I love strippers and my crd.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:15 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

All I have got to say is this.... Welcome to the club and your strange happiness is contagious.

I put that much money into it plus more and I still will not give up the power of this beast..... there is nothing else out there that can compare to it unless you're willing to trade it in for a few thousands dollars in return and purchase a BMW diesel for $58,000 or a VW Tourareg TDI for $61,000 or a Mercedes Bluetec for $67,000, and all these vehicles have been known to have difficult to resolve issues as well, with big if not bigger repair bills.

My CRD is worth more to me than what the book says because I can't replace it for another one that is available out there these days.

We own a great little powerhouse that costs us pennies to drive even with the repairs we have to do to them. Do a search to see how much a major repair costs on one of the others and you will see that owning our little diesel is cheap.

If you want a diesel SUV in your world that requires small change to keep compared to the others out there, then you will need to repair what needs to be repaired and maintain it correctly to enjoy the CRD for time to come.

And that's why we are here and what the members of this board are doing, learning all there is to know about keeping our CRD’s in top shape.

We do not own a gasser version of the KJ, we Own a Diesel Jeep that requires more attention and if that can't be done then don't waste your time.... get rid of it and move on to another vehicle.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:05 pm 
Oilburner
Oilburner

Spit, you got to do what the P.O. didn't...maintanence.. :|

Solo Liberty en Español: Jeepliberty.es

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:54 pm 
LOST Addict

Maybe you can relate to this guy :-)r

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=AFqhPaSL79I

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The previous owner beat it almost to death and you brought it back to life. With all the suspension mods, it looks like it did a lot more than driving Long Island Streets.
Now you need to do some more mods to help it live longer.
My sig ran out of room so here is a mod that is not on my sig list:
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f228/swappe ... fan-48653/
It helped the AC work better in hot traffic.

Fuel cooler, Oil Separator, Progard 7
Gauges EGT Boost Trans Temp Oil Pres, Michelin LXT AT2 245 70 R16
7,000# Draw Tight hitch, PML EX Deep Trans Pan
Centrifuge, SunCoast, Transgo, RAM TCM, InMotion Stage 2
Wife's 99 TDI VW Beetle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:33 pm 
LOST Member

I would have traded any other truck. But you have to love it. :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:40 pm 
LOST Member

I got mine with 72k miles and it now has 115k. At 73k miles I converted it to run on grease ($1100) at 100k I changed the timing belt and waterpump and all that other stuff ($1300) at 110K I changed the low pressure A/C. I also changed the oil about every 5k miles. ~($400 total) Plus about $200 for EMH, fuel filters, etc. I did change the rubber hose that was leaking going to the EGR cooler, but that was just labour I had the hose. I have saved about $5000 in fuel at least. I am way ahead. I think I really like the Jeep! My wife loves the Jeep also.

2006 Liberty CRD -- Spare tire replaced with Veg tank, semi filter for veg, FPHE, Electric common rail line heater, fill vegetable oil tank every 3 days. ORM, EHM comes out in front of the passenger rear tire. Wife has new job and 20 mile round trip to work. I borrow her Jeep a lot and live in South Florida.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

I still love this post! I printed spitfire360's post off with racertracer's reply and have them on the wall in my office next to the Hot Crazy Matrix. So may people still ask me where I got a Liberty Diesel. Like most now, I am over 200K miles and am facing head gasket problems and probably lifters too. I was pricing all that stuff out the other day and was getting sticker shock but then I looked at my wall again and Lol. It is so true. These little diesels have their claws in us and the Hot Crazy Matrix (if your jeep is a girl) tells us to run like hell in the opposite direction. Anyway I wanted to shout out to others and bump this back out of the void so others don't give up on these little diesels.

This post should be a sticky!

I love you lost community!

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited, 2.8L Diesel (205K miles and still going!!! Thank you LOST & GDE), Samco hoses, GDE Stage II turbo kit, TransGo shift kit with Gen III torque converter, Gen II fuel head, Carter P4600HP lift pump with new rubber fuel lines, K&N air filter, 5v glow plugs, Cooper Discoverer HTP245/75R16.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:56 pm 
LOST Addict

Phatjimmy wrote:
I still love this post! I printed spitfire360's post off with racertracer's reply and have them on the wall in my office next to the Hot Crazy Matrix. So may people still ask me where I got a Liberty Diesel. Like most now, I am over 200K miles and am facing head gasket problems and probably lifters too. I was pricing all that stuff out the other day and was getting sticker shock but then I looked at my wall again and Lol. It is so true. These little diesels have their claws in us and the Hot Crazy Matrix (if your jeep is a girl) tells us to run like hell in the opposite direction. Anyway I wanted to shout out to others and bump this back out of the void so others don't give up on these little diesels.

This post should be a sticky!

I love you lost community!

I did the rockers and arp studs when I did my timing belt. I’m pretty sure that job was worth like 1/5th the value of my Jeep and that was at 93k miles. There is a point where I am not sure there is any logic in throwing that much money at these things. It’s purely emotional.

I love my Jeep, but at this point it’s because I have so much time/effort invested in it. I cannot imagine getting rid of it unless something catastrophic happens because of the time put into it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:47 pm 
LOST Member

Some people need challenges. No greater feeling in fixing your own stuff, having resources to help (Lost) and RIDING around on the results, then FEELING the improvements first hand.
There are worse ways to piss money away!!
After pulling mine out of 3 yrs. of sitting in the back shed last week,
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=81484

I suddenly remembered it's a pretty neat styled ride, and the lil puffer just adds to the mystique!

Sasquatch elbow kit, samcos, GDE eco FT. 11-26-14
80,500 miles, engine is disassembled, awaiting parts 3/18
Budget?? Sure! 'Everything I have'.
New "Pet" name for My Jeep; 'Soul Sucker'