It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Smoke.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:15 am 
LOST Newbie

Good Day.

Just a question. Under normal conditions, how much smoke should I be getting from the jeep 2.8CRD? I noticed that under really hard acceleration (between 3000rpm and up.) It. Gives quite a lot of a pretty light gray smoke but there is a lot of it. When driving normally I haven't really noticed smoke. What would indicate a worn out engine? What kinf of mileage should I expect before the engine needs a rebuild?

Post subject: Re: Smoke.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:26 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sounds pretty normal. If you can get a GDE tune in your part of the world that smoke will go away. Assuming you do a timing belt job, with/without the water pump, every 100,000 miles and keep up with regular air filter changes and use the proper oil (IMHO a oil and filter change interval no longer than 6,000 miles) I'd not be surprised to see several hundred thousand miles before a "rebuild" if by rebuild you mean rings/piston/bearings and such.

I assume you have read Sam's NOOB guide.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:45 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the info. I am currently at about 118000 miles. Yeah by rebuild I mean rings pistons sleeves bearings etc. Here the service interval is 100000 kms (65000 miles) for the timing belt. That's according to the service schedule in the car.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'd forgotten that different interval.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Check the waste gate on your '04, it might need to be freed up so it seats well. Check your boost hoses and make sure you are getting full boost with no leaks.
Also make sure your EGR is not stuck open. With the '04 you may be able to fix it for good with a ball bearing in the vacuum hose to the EGR actuator. TonyCDR would know if the ball bearing trick works on your '04.In the US the EPA never let us have the '02-'04 CRDs.
The '05 & '06 US/Canada versions need an SEGR kit to shut off the EGR.
The one tune some like, shuts off the light and reduces the EGR.
Getting rid of the choke point in the converter to muffler flange and getting rid of the stock muffler will let more air flow through and burn up the fuel better so you get less smoke. I am sure you would rather turn every cc of fuel into power instead of smoke.

Fuel cooler, Oil Separator, Progard 7
Gauges EGT Boost Trans Temp Oil Pres, Michelin LXT AT2 245 70 R16
7,000# Draw Tight hitch, PML EX Deep Trans Pan
Centrifuge, SunCoast, Transgo, RAM TCM, InMotion Stage 2
Wife's 99 TDI VW Beetle