It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: SEGR kits - 2013 -
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

You have a PM

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

I just finished up soldering my board, getting ready to work on crimping up the connectors and just wanted to throw out a big THANK YOU to UFO, and everyone else involved in the SEGR development. I'm really impressed with how professional this thing looks and how easy it has gone together.

I will say that it's been a while since I've done this much component soldering, proving my age here, but I don't remember things being so darn small! Good thing I inherited a pair of cheater specs a few months ago, or I'd be lost!

Now, if mother nature will just quit dumping that cold white stuff on us in the next few weeks, I can do the install.

Jim

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well, I received my SEGR kit Thursday afternoon and had a chance to install it today. I must say I was a bit intimidated with the electronics part of it, But The instructions were very detailed, so all went well. Went to the local O'Reillys and had my check engine light turned off. The jeep seems to have more power, Will check the MPG next Fill up.
thanks UFO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:43 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Good to hear things are going well, thanks.

'01 Beetle TDi B100, EGR delete
'83 Mercedes 240D B100, no EGR

--- SEGR Builder ---

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:53 am 
LOST Newbie

Install done. PM for a question.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

My Liberty is in the shop currently. Once it comes home, I would like a kit. How difficult are these to put in..... SEGR Installs for Dummies. Thanks, Ken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

CRDNH wrote:
My Liberty is in the shop currently. Once it comes home, I would like a kit. How difficult are these to put in..... SEGR Installs for Dummies. Thanks, Ken

I'll let others chime in on degree of difficulty. I wrote the installation instructions included with the kits, so PM me with your email and I can send you a copy.

--- SEGR Builder ---

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

With one caveat, I would say that the install is not difficult. It is easier with an ohm meter as some of the wire bundle colors on mine were not that easily identified. Checked them with the ohm meter to be sure. For me, the hardest part was routing the cable through the firewall. In retrospect, I believe I would have drilled another hole and used a grommet rather than try to use the existing wire bundle grommet. During the process of putting the cable through the firewall, the grommet popped out. That thing is a mother to get back in. Without that portion of the install, I would have been done in about 3 hours. Because of the difficulty with that, it took me 6 hours. I was tempted just to leave the SEGR unit in the engine compartment but didn't know if the unit was temperature sensitive and weather sealed. In the summer, it gets pretty hot under the hood.
Randy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I would not consider leaving the SEGR under the hood. TurboTim sent me a dead SEGR that had been installed there and got wet, and it was a mess. That's the only dead unit I've ever heard of. Yes, it also gets quite hot in the engine compartment.

--- SEGR Builder ---

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:06 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I am going to place an order for more parts this weekend, enough to build 3 more units. PM me if you want one, DIY kit, built assembly, or even a bare PCB.

--- SEGR Builder ---

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I gather this involves routing wiring thru the firewall into the cabin but don't know the size of the wire bundle. That said for what it's worth at least on the 05, probably the 06 also, there is an unused grommet located behind the fuel filter head (IIRC you have to undo the fuel filter head, lay it to one side with everything still connected, and then undo the bracket the filter head mounts to. The grommet hole comes into the cabin a bit above where the go pedal is located and I'm virtually positive it's left over from when the go pedal (maybe still is on the gasser) was physically connected by a cable or some such to the carb or some such.

Do not pull the grommet out as I'm convinced it's impossible or near impossible to get back in place. Much easier to make an X thru the grommet with a skill knife and just push stuff thru. If you are into water crossings some silicone caulk would reseal the grommet just fine after the wire(s) are routed.

geordi and I found this spare hole when installing oil pressure, boost pressure, and turbo temp gauges.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The wire bundle is 3/8", not that big really, it consists of (9) 18AWG wires with a corrugated plastic sheath.

--- SEGR Builder ---

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm new to all of this (forums, forums, etc.). I have a 2005 Liberty CRD. It has nearly 120K on it. Just had the timing belt/water pump replaced. Now I'd like to get rid of that pesky CEL from the EGR trouble codes. Which would be better to do that, the SEGR kit or the GDE eco tune? Are there still SEGR kits available? :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:34 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have 3 kits available, if you decide which route to go. Your EGR equipment needs to be in working order to support a GDE tune, however the tune is definitely a good way to go if you want better drive-ability, power and/or fuel mileage.

The SEGR will keep the CEL off even if your EGR and AFC valves don't work, although if they are stuck in the wrong position they will either need replacing or blocking off.

--- SEGR Builder ---

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:23 am 
LOST Newbie

Newbie. Pm sent.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:55 pm 
LOST Member

Possibly a stupid question, but if our CRD's are odd because of the volume of EGR they use, is it possible to 'trick' the computer into using less EGR, so that we're more in line with what a typical diesel uses?

Could the SEGR kit be designed to alter the readings the computer is receiving so that it doesn't demand so much volume of Exhaust Gas?

Thanks,
Jon

Did you hear about the guy who was hooked on brake fluid?
He swears he can stop any time.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

groelzj - that's essentially what the GDE tune does among other things.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The SEGR kit completely disconnects the EGR, no middle ground there.

--- SEGR Builder ---

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:38 am 
LOST Newbie

If I was to get a GDE tune and installed a SEGR kit would the SEGR screw up the tune?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:06 am 
LOST Addict

GNU wrote:
If I was to get a GDE tune and installed a SEGR kit would the SEGR screw up the tune?

It will have zero effect. You would essentially be turning off egr twice.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next