It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seriously considering CRD
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:07 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello everyone,
I joined the sight because I am interested in acquiring a Diesel Liberty. I currently own an 08 Dodge with a 6.7. When I bought it new in 09, I used it helping my dad farm. However, I now live an hour away so I don't use it much for that anymore.

I guess my first question is on realistically these things tow. During the summer it will have to tow a two horse trailer with all associated gear for weekend camping trips. It will also occasionally tow cars, building materials etc. It also needs to get me to my backcountry hunting spots.

On my Dodge, I did the deletes and the rig now easily gets 20 mpg on the highway. However, it is more vehicle than I need, maintenance is not cheap ( Almost 300 a piece for tires) and with fuel prices definitely on there way up, (even if they can play nice in the middle east), I would like to buy something that does better. I have been doing the research and already have a list of mods to perform.

I guess in general, are you happy with yours and would you recommend one to me, considering what I will be doing. Do you have enough interior room? I have a wife and two kids, so that is also important. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Post subject: Re: Seriously considering CRD
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

I love my CRD Liberty, Saying that I also have a 2003 Ram 2500 Cummings for towing. The liberty can tow don't get me wrong but it depends on the load. I believe correct me if I am wrong The liberty has a 5000lb towing capacity. The receiver hitch is low and the spare tire interferes with the hitch. Tongue Ground clearance on a horse trailer or car trailer would be low for me. Moving Horses is like no other load its dynamic since horses are moving animals they could move the liberty around quite a bit. If you are looking at pulling heavy often I would recommend something else, The little diesel is great the body just isn't built for towing.

Timing Tool Current Wait List https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Jvg_433Tfencao2HWJE3jXYB8Kk_myAtXJhmNNevqnw/edit

Timing Tool Rental FAQ https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UP7CTZ4WZCnj1HlTvpFTX2WfvhauaTwLqghNKhfjI0o/edit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:42 pm 
LOST Addict

It's fine as a single or two person vehicle that can easily tow it's own weight and gets "reasonable" mpg but
- lack of space in the back means it's not a good family vehicle.
- don't expect it to be comfortable on a long journey.
- don't expect to get the 30+ mpg that some are quoting.
- don't expect it to be cheap to maintain.
- be prepared to do some of the work on it yourself
- don't expect support from the stealership.
- don't expect required parts to be readily available when it breaks
- have a backup plan so that you're not left without a vehicle when it breaks.
- reliability would be a concern if you want to venture off the beaten track.

I use mine for commuting to work and occasional towing, trailers, boat etc but no more than a tow away from home. I can't imagine I'd ever be comfortable taking it on a long trip. In fact, my wife has a 13 year old Grand Caravan that I would trust on a road trip before the CRD. Just too many expensive and "national backorder" parts that can go wrong and leave you stranded.

It would make a great fun/hobby vehicle but I'd rather not have to rely on it as a daily driver :( .

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:33 pm 
LOST Member

I wouldn't want to more tow more than 3500 pounds for a long ways. Thats just me if the max is 5000 you should back off a little bit. The short wheel base not good for towing. I get 23 or so miles per gallon. It hard to get parts from time to time.
On the other hand i realy like the truck. It turns sharp to get in out of places. It four wheels pretty good. It will pull more than it should. Fun to drive.
Some will say 7500 pounds it might. I wouldn't trust the transmission.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:43 pm 
LOST Member

Transmission would probably be fine, torque converter on the other hand....better think suncoast

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:02 am 
LOST Junkie

I've towed with mine and it did ok. The last time I towed horses was back in 1997 using a Ford Bronco with the 5.8L engine and it did ok but not great because of the short wheelbase and dynamic load-darn horses were moving and kicking the entire time.

I'm thinking that the CRD would not tow 2 horses well due to weight and wheel base.

1. Weight of trailer 2000-2400 lbs...don't forget weight of hay, water, saddles and tackboxes.
2. Horse weight: 1000-1200 each

You are looking a minimum of 5000lbs to maybe more.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have decided to keep the pickup. The slight increase in fuel mileage while empty is countered by the better mileage when towing.