It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: OIL PAN DRAIN PLUG STRIPPED!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:48 pm 
LOST Addict

O.K. People:

Just did oil changes on all three of my vehicles, and the oil drain holes are all bone dry - no issues whatsoever!! :BANANA: :pepper:

Thank you all for your responses and insight; it was much appreciated!

Jeff :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:55 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

No problem! :?

1977- Jeep CJ-5

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

turbobike wrote:
you need the following:
41/64 drill bit
18x1.5mm tap
F104 Fumoto drain valve
The whole thing should be around $50 (US) total.
total labor time is no more than 10 minutes (if you're slow)

Hi guys so I bought myself a Jeep Liberty CRD 05 and upon doing my first oil change I saw it had black silicone around the plug. My fear came true. It was stripped and now even after trying to seal it off I have a slow leak.

My question is if anyone with experience can confirm that these drill bit, tap, and drain valve sizes will work? I'm in Canada so I'm looking to find a supplier to solve this asap. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:36 pm 
LOST Addict

20DDan wrote:
turbobike wrote:
you need the following:
41/64 drill bit
18x1.5mm tap
F104 Fumoto drain valve
The whole thing should be around $50 (US) total.
total labor time is no more than 10 minutes (if you're slow)

Hi guys so I bought myself a Jeep Liberty CRD 05 and upon doing my first oil change I saw it had black silicone around the plug. My fear came true. It was stripped and now even after trying to seal it off I have a slow leak.

My question is if anyone with experience can confirm that these drill bit, tap, and drain valve sizes will work? I'm in Canada so I'm looking to find a supplier to solve this asap. Image

I would double check on the exact drill bit size to use... perhaps it would be better to use a slightly smaller drill bit and ream the hole out to 41/64ths.

The last time I checked, the Fumoto oil drain valve distributor here in Canada is in Port Coquitlam, BC.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:23 am 
LOST Member

Original thread on the oil pan is 3/8" = 9.5 mm. So you can opt for 12 mm fumoto (F-109 or F-107 or F-103 ) or 14 mm fumoto (F-106) or any higher size. I prefer to stay as small as possible for two reasons:
1. You want to keep the threads as small as possible compared to the boss on the drain pan for better strength
2. If the thread strips again then you want to be able to able to jump to the next size :lol:

So I am going with F-109 which is M12x1.5 which needs a Z drill bit.

2nd gen fuel head with 2nd stage 2 micron filter, in-tank lift pump, G2 Rear Diff Cover

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:48 am 
LOST Newbie

pjigar wrote:
Original thread on the oil pan is 3/8" = 9.5 mm. So you can opt for 12 mm fumoto (F-109 or F-107 or F-103 ) or 14 mm fumoto (F-106) or any higher size. I prefer to stay as small as possible for two reasons:
1. You want to keep the threads as small as possible compared to the boss on the drain pan for better strength
2. If the thread strips again then you want to be able to able to jump to the next size :lol:

So the 18 mm fumoto I ordered that was suggested here is a bad idea eh? Ah crap why did I rush into taking the advice of that guy. It still hasn't arrived so I'm sure I can order another one.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:12 pm 
LOST Member

You can install 18 mm fumoto but it might be too close to the edge of the drain hole boss. Measure first before drilling.

2nd gen fuel head with 2nd stage 2 micron filter, in-tank lift pump, G2 Rear Diff Cover

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:49 pm 
LOST Addict

pjigar wrote:
You can install 18 mm fumoto but it might be too close to the edge of the drain hole boss. Measure first before drilling.

I agree with this assessment. My oil drain plug hole was not so badly stripped that I had to bore it out and cut new threads, so I got the Fumoto Oil Valve that would be the normal replacement. I simply used, in conjunction with the gasket that comes with the valve, 3 wraps of thread seal tape to make the joint between the oil drain hole and the Fumoto Valve oil tight. With the extra thread seal tape, my valve tightened up quite nicely and I have had no problems since that time, (about 3 years ago).

Have you inquired with the person who sold you the valve if you can exchange it for another :?:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

I ordered a 12mm size and waiting for it to arrive. The other I can just return. Spoke to fumoto sales person directly. Oil isn't leaking too badly. Got an extra 1ltr of oil to top up until I can replace the broken setup.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:36 pm 
LOST Member

20DDan wrote:
pjigar wrote:

So the 18 mm fumoto I ordered that was suggested here is a bad idea eh? Ah crap why did I rush into taking the advice of that guy. It still hasn't arrived so I'm sure I can order another one.

Heads up. I messed up too! I think the guy before me saying 18mm fumoto was correct. I opened my oil drain and measured it. The drain hole measures about 16.5mm. Which means what I said earlier was incorrect. I was going by the Fumoto website measurements from the following site which seem to be wrong or may be someone already threaded my oil drain before I bought this car. Either way, sa I said, measure before you drill.

http://www.fumotousa.com/parts.php?partname=F-102&partnumber=19

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:00 pm 
LOST Junkie

I calp'd my fumoto f-102 and it has an OD of 5/8 (16mm).

RUNNING B100
Pic of my Jeep!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:58 am 
LOST Addict

This has been an issue on these engines since they first were sold here 10 years ago. I strongly recommend that if your plug is currently NOT stripped that you install a Fumoto valve or some similar quick change valve during your next oil change so that you never have to remove it ever again.

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:40 pm 
LOST Addict

LibertyCRD wrote:
This has been an issue on these engines since they first were sold here 10 years ago. I strongly recommend that if your plug is currently NOT stripped that you install a Fumoto valve or some similar quick change valve during your next oil change so that you never have to remove it ever again.

I absolutely agree with this... a steel plug threaded into an aluminum hole that is removed and replaced regularly is just a bead idea in any circumstance, but especially when it concerns an oil drain plug into an expensive aluminum oil pan. The cynic in me thinks this was done deliberately because the manufacturer and the dealers want the benefits of a really expensive repair.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:55 pm 
LOST Member

By the way, I realized about the incorrect size of hole while I was in the middle of the oil change. My temporary solution was to install back my original Fumoto with threads coated with 90 seconds epoxy. The epoxy is holding up well with the stripped thread solid. I will keep monitoring for leaks. If I find no leaks then I will stick with this epoxy solution forever!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

Success! Oil pan was badly stripped so I got the Fumoto F104S valve and a 16.5mm drill bit. And a tap 18mm x 1.5mm thread. I used both a course and fine tap. The Fumoto screwed on smooth and now I'm leak free! Looks really nice and the valve is easily accessible. Also I have some sort of protective cover just before the oil pan that is 2-3 inches lower so even if I off-road I won't hit it. Super easy to do once you have the tools.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

I ran the used oil through the engine twice to get rid of the aluminum shavings. Flushed about 3ltrs through it. So glad this forum exists as I just saved myself a lot of down time and a lot of money!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

So I'm long ways from home. Got coolant leak and find a shop to get it in. While there decide to have an oil change too. Mechanic finds a solid washer with the drain plug, says the threads are pretty lousy and puts an aluminum crush washer in place. No leaks day 1, day two it's leaking. Anybody know of a jeep shop in the Front Range ( Denver, Fort Collins, etc. ) that might install a fix like the Fumoto? Oddly enough, there were no leaks before this change. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:52 am 
LOST Newbie

HI, I live in Sydney Australia.....not much of a mechanic. MY mechanic is off hospital till end of Jan, and has asked me to supply a bigger bolt for the Oil tank........ my vehicle is 2008 CRD engine. I believe he wants a bigger bolt with bigger ring. I think you have to buy a kit with bolt and new size ring. I have only seen a couple of places on the responses here and have not found a suitable new oil tank bolt. Can anyone send me a link to a place that supplies them?? Thank you if you can..... Happy New year!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:22 pm 
LOST Addict

BSG wrote:
So I'm long ways from home. Got coolant leak and find a shop to get it in. While there decide to have an oil change too. Mechanic finds a solid washer with the drain plug, says the threads are pretty lousy and puts an aluminum crush washer in place. No leaks day 1, day two it's leaking. Anybody know of a jeep shop in the Front Range ( Denver, Fort Collins, etc. ) that might install a fix like the Fumoto? Oddly enough, there were no leaks before this change. Thanks.

I am pretty sure the Mechanic over-torqued the threads of the drain plug, and further stripped the threads in the oil pan hole. I have a couple of customers in your area, but I do not know of any recommended service shops.

At this point you may have to drill out the hole and cut some new threads. Find the next larger size to go that you can purchase a Fumoto oil valve for; cut and tap the hole to fit the valve. I use pipe tape as well as relying on the gasket that comes with the valve. None of the vehicles I have installed a Fumoto oil valve have EVER leaked.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:25 pm 
LOST Addict

GI-LOG wrote:
HI, I live in Sydney Australia.....not much of a mechanic. MY mechanic is off hospital till end of Jan, and has asked me to supply a bigger bolt for the Oil tank........ my vehicle is 2008 CRD engine. I believe he wants a bigger bolt with bigger ring. I think you have to buy a kit with bolt and new size ring. I have only seen a couple of places on the responses here and have not found a suitable new oil tank bolt. Can anyone send me a link to a place that supplies them?? Thank you if you can..... Happy New year!!

See my previous posting.

Cutting and tapping a larger hole simply to use a larger drain plug will fix the problem in the short term, but what if some ham-fisted kid that does oil changes strips the threads again?

Get a larger Fumoto oil valve, and the problem is solved for good.