It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to install a Safari snorkel!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:43 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hello to all, will be receiving in the mail today my previously ordered Safari snorkel! Wondering if any one on here has that brand of snorkel in a crd, and how difficult was the install? Are there any known links / posts for that install? Thanks.

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited CRD, JBA coilovers-4.5 Arms, 5xMoab's with 265-75-16 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ, Safari snorkel, Suncoast T/C, GDE Hot tune, Mandrel bent CAC Tubes, EHM to airbox, Mopar skid's, Fumoto Drain Valve, 3% Tint, ARB front bumper, Full set of Miller tools (9599) to loan within my immediate vicinity.

Last edited by Tony P. on Tue May 01, 2012 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: How to install an ARB snorkel
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Stu's
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64859

Doc's
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=474964#p474964

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:45 am 
LOST Member

Man, that's a bitchin' looking Jeep! :JEEPIN:

GDE Eco Tune & TCM @ 46K
Engine mounts replaced @ 55k/93k, Timing Belt @ 90k
Lift Pump @ 97k
OME Lift, 1.5''
Kenwood TM-V71 Ham Radio / Cobra C75WX CB
Surf Racks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

I am watching this thread I want one to. I have been told by a Dodge, cumming off road guy the first thing you should be asking is how to install an emergency shut down because if you are gonna get your diesel wet it will suck in water and keep running till it hydrolocks = no more motor. I am not an expert but a oh sh** button may be a consideration.
Ive heard the install is just a whole saw and some screws?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:06 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I received the snorkel yesterday and it appears that it is not going to be a quick bolt on. The instructions appear to be clear however, complex. So I will not have the time required for the install until at least another week or so. I will try to take pictures during the install.

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited CRD, JBA coilovers-4.5 Arms, 5xMoab's with 265-75-16 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ, Safari snorkel, Suncoast T/C, GDE Hot tune, Mandrel bent CAC Tubes, EHM to airbox, Mopar skid's, Fumoto Drain Valve, 3% Tint, ARB front bumper, Full set of Miller tools (9599) to loan within my immediate vicinity.

Post subject: Re: How to install a Safari snorkel!
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have started the installation of the snorkel, and should be finished with it in a couple of days or so. I have been working on the installation during the last three evening (after work) with approximately 9 hours of work into it. I have been very careful and taking my time during the install because I want it installed properly. I have also taken several pictures during the install and plan on posting with a few side notes to aid any one else who wishes to tackle this modification.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:06 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hello to all and thank you for looking. If you have helpful information or need further clarification please feel free to post or let me know. The instructions with the safari snorkel are well written and explained with good details on how to. This is merely helpful hints/tips which I found to be easier. Throughout four evenings of installation total time required to complete the modification was approximately 15 hours, an added delay is because I have the EHM to airbox which required special attention, and adaptation for the completion.

Have on hand fender flair clips as they tend to break during the removal process, I broke three. Some rust prevention primer paint, small paint brush, a variable speed drill with a good set of drill bits, center punch, metal files, round, semi round, flat, etc...

The instructions advise to use a hole saw which did not work for me. I went through two hole saw bits during the first quarter panel skin. Their are a total of three sheet metal skins you must cut a large hole through in order to reach the engine compartment. I found a dremel tool very helpful, including the removal of several plastic ribs in the air box.

The instructions also advise to remove the front quarter panel as per the (FSM). I was able to complete the modification without the removal and or installation of the quarter panel.

The instructions also mention that their is a side marker instead of our radio antenna. I simply bent the antenna parallel to the snorkel and zip tied it.

Also, other links suggested to place door trim molding around the edges of the three large cut holes to protect the snorkel from the sharp edges, and aid in sealing the large port into the engine compartment.
ImageImageImage

Last edited by Tony P. on Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:17 pm 
LOST Member

Nice work, Tony P. ! :rockon:

GDE Eco Tune & TCM @ 46K
Engine mounts replaced @ 55k/93k, Timing Belt @ 90k
Lift Pump @ 97k
OME Lift, 1.5''
Kenwood TM-V71 Ham Radio / Cobra C75WX CB
Surf Racks

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:12 am 
LOST Newbie

Notice any performance (seat of pants and/or mpg) difference? I had one on my Land Rover (3.9 gas) and it seemed quicker at speed. I'm considering a 200 mile a day commute in the fall and any little mpg difference would add up really quick.

87 Suzuki Samurai - VW 1.6NA Diesel, SPOA
12 Toyota Prius V

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:33 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

what happened to the pics?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

usa591 wrote:
Nice work, Tony P. ! :rockon:

Thank you for the complement usa591!
racertracer wrote:
what happened to the pics?

racertracer I hope you can see the pics maybe it was a glitch when you tried to see them.
fastring wrote:
Notice any performance (seat of pants and/or mpg) difference? I had one on my Land Rover (3.9 gas) and it seemed quicker at speed. I'm considering a 200 mile a day commute in the fall and any little mpg difference would add up really quick.

I have not checked for MPG yet, if there is an improvement it's minimal with city driving. I have not had an opportunity to take the Jeep out for a long drive on the highway since the installation of the snorkel. Only noticeable differences as of yet is the sound of aspiration depending on throttle position and ambient noise, and of-coarse the aesthetics of the jeep. Seat of the pants has been post suncoast and GDE hot tune!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:26 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Can't wait to do mine, I like the Safari better than the Airflow, good choice!

05 CRD Sport Dark Kahki

RRO: Adventure Rack/Rails ** MOPAR: Skids/Renny Flares & 255/75r17 (32.1) BFG M/T on JK wheels ** ARB: Bumper/IPF lights/790/948/shocks ** GDE: TCM/Hot Tune ** ROCKLIZARD: Super Sliders/Komodo Bumper

My Build Thread
US Army Infantry

Post subject: How to install a Safari snorkel!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:44 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

arengant wrote:
Can't wait to do mine, I like the Safari better than the Airflow, good choice!

Having seen both in person the safari looks better and seems to to be made better.