It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My 7-year CRD anniversary
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

I haven't been on the forum for awhile--too many other things to do and nothing exciting to say, but a license renewal reminded me that my 7-year anniversary as a CRD owner (brand new in 2005) had just passed. Unlike many posters on this forum, my CRD is very low mileage (under 30K). I bought the CRD in anticipation of driving it many miles in a year. A job change, relocation, and the inversion of diesel fuel prices changed those plans. I now drive a lot less and use my gas 4-cylinder car for most of my distance driving, the CRD saved for those times that I need a 4WD, which is still more often than most people do.

With that introduction, here is my 7-year anniversary review of the CRD:

Fuel economy. Unsurpassed in a "true" 4WD. Factory stock, my CRD got around 22 mpg city and 29-30 mpg highway--all in driving above 5,000 ft. elevation and much of it in the mountains (mpg hand-calculated at every fill-up since Day One, by the way). Adding a Frankenlift II and larger tires cut the fuel economy until I installed the GDE tune, which brought the CRD back to its fuel economy before the lift.

Backcountry capability. Compromised out of the factory by the independent front suspension and lack of stock ground clearance. The Frankenlift and larger tires solved most of that--not as good as my 3" lifted Jeep Cherokee, but pretty adequate. The Cherokee manages about 10 mpg with 4.0 Six in pure off-road use, the CRD will get nearly 20 mpg off-road--guess which one gets used more?

Reliability. Aside from the early warranty issues and EGR issues (the latter seemingly solved by the GDE tune), my biggest expense was the $400 replacement of the left rear door power window motor (about a month after the Liberty went out of warranty). The transmission still shifts roughly when manually shifted down when descending a grade, but it's done that since Day One with no transmission failure. Apparently a common problem on CRD's, mine has a slow voltage leak in the electronics that will drain the battery if the vehicle sits for more than about 2 weeks without being started. Still, the original Optima battery lasted until February of this year.

My conclusions. For moderate to somewhat arduous off-road use, the CRD WITH the Frankenlift and larger tires is about the most fuel economical vehicle one can find for the job. Truly hard-core Jeepers need to look at a Wrangler or older Cherokee among later model vehicles for a Jeep with uncompromised off-road ability. The CRD's biggest limitation is the vehicle's overall size. For more than 2 people carrying any significant gear at all, it is simply not large enough--though its small size does make it very maneuverable on tight trails.

Other observations. Though the CRD is very fuel economical, the new crop of diesel 4WD pickups (model year 2011 and newer) makes one wonder what could be done with a modernized CRD. I now have a 2012 Ford SuperDuty F-250 4WD with the 6.7 diesel that is delivering outstanding fuel economy for its size. With a light load, the F-250 will achieve a hand-calculated mpg of 20.5-24.0 mpg over a route that I regularly travel where my CRD has typically averaged around 26-29 mpg. Considering the EMPTY weight of the F-250 is nearly 3,000 lbs. heavier than the CRD, a 5-8 mpg penalty doesn't seem like much. The CRD's torque and power are more than adequate to leave most gassers in the dust at the high altitudes where I travel, but the F-250 will leave the CRD in the dust without even breathing hard.

I have no plans of getting rid of the CRD--it still serves an important purpose in my driving. If Chrysler would ever wise up and offer the 2.8 CRD--modernized--in the Wrangler, I might think about trading. That, and Chrysler needs to get serious about actually serving its customers after the sale. All I hear from Chrysler owners these days is horror stories of waiting weeks for parts, etc. from Chrysler's moribund parts system. I pray I don't have a serious parts failure on my CRD.

Post subject: Re: My 7-year CRD anniversary
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:55 am 
LOST Newbie

Nice write up. I agree, I wonder was a Ford Ranger with a new design 4cyl diesel would get for MPGs. Its like many years back when I would see the 4 door rangers and nissan pickups in baja and wonder "Why dont they sell those in the US. A 4 door pickup, now that would sell!" It took a decade, but we got them and now all trucks are 4 door it seems. Hopefully, we'll get diesel mini trucks and hopefully, mini trucks that are actually still...mini.

87 Suzuki Samurai - VW 1.6NA Diesel, SPOA
12 Toyota Prius V

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Congratulations, Good synopsis. My 7 year aniversary is coming up at the beginning of June. I factory ordered in April 2005 and waited 6 weeks for my KJ to arrive. Probably close to 116,000 miles by then. Diesel is cheaper than gas right now so I'm driving the Liberty every day and keeping the Ranger parked.

X2 on the diesel Wrangler or for that matter small diesel pickup. I'm going to drive the wheels of this Jeep, but sure would like to find a replacement in the next couple of years so I can retire the 99 Ranger.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

I agree that the US really needs some fuel-efficient diesel small to medium 4WD pickups. I was intrigued when I read about the Jeep J-12 "concept" pickup that Chrysler built off of a modied Wrangler Unlimited chassis. If that were available in extended-cab, crew-cab, and standard cab models with a fuel-efficient diesel engine--and built with the off-road capability contained in the concept truck, Chrysler would have a run-away success. There a lot of potential customers out there who need a small to mid-size 4WD pickup with the true off-road capability afforded by a solid-axle front suspension, decent ground clearance, and an economical high low-end torque engine. Chrysler should build it--now.

By the way, a friend of mine saw the J-12 concept truck at the Easter Jeep Safari in Moab. He said it was one cool pickup--reminded him of his Dad's 1964 Jeep Gladiator that my friend drove to learn to drive when was growing up in a Colorado mining town.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I've got money that says we will never see it but if you want to look check out Ford Australia (http://www.ford.com.au/newranger) for what they call the Ranger - 2 door/4door, 4x2/4x4, stick/automatic, and 2 different diesel engine options

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

My prediction is that, until fuel hits $7-$8 per gallon (which I think is coming faster than anyone wants to believe), the US won't see any fuel-efficient diesel engines in small pickups. By then, it will probably be too late.

My biggest beef about the Liberty CRD is that so few were produced that it is now sort of a "cult vehicle"--few out there, and, as a result, not many mechanics who know how to work on them and there is a frequent scarcity of (or long waits for) the parts that are unique to the CRD . Had Chrysler had the wherewithal to get a 2007+ CRD certified, they probably would have sold a lot of them in the years since the 2005-2006 CRD's were marketed. That is an example of why I think Chrysler is increasingly a "has-been" auto manufacturer: they continue to build and market products of dubious value, while they always seem to let promising vehicles (a next-generation CRD and the J-12 concept truck, for example) sit on the shelf. To Chrysler's credit, at least they continue to build the Wrangler--about the last true out-of-the-box hard-core backcountry capable 4WD out there. Good thing--it is one of the last "cash-cow" vehicles that Chrysler has. The CRD could have been another, particularly if the engine had found its way into the Wrangler, but they squandered that.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:24 am 
LOST Newbie

"If Chrysler would ever wise up and offer the 2.8 CRD--modernized--in the Wrangler, I might think about trading."

We have had these since the KJ was launched :)

There is a new 3.0 VM engine in the Grand Cherokee which looks like it is excellent, hopefully they will put that in to the Wrangler as some stage.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:34 am 
LOST Member

Good post.

If I may add myself - at this 7 year date I am happier now with my truck than ever. Similar to the TDI models, the roots of the truck are fantastic, but some small details cause pain and suffering.

1) Hard to Start - Fixed with Glow Plug Update/ Recall AND Optima Yellow Top AND Lift Pump
2) Shuddering Transmission - Fixed with Euro TC
3) Transmission Schizophrenia - Fixed with GDE Trans Tune
4) Fuel Economy - WAY improved with CDE ECO Tune & Trans Tune
5) Unsatisfactory Road Feel - Improved by getting OE tires off, replaced with Michelins
6) Unsatisfactory Road Feed 2 - Fixed with Koni suspension

Today - truck can get 35 mpg on the highway with passengers. Ride is smooth as silk, acceleration is fast, transmission shifts like I was driving a manual. I'm so thrilled with this thing I would love to pick up a 2nd.

Plus, now that IDParts stocks lots of the stuff (plug) it is much easier to maintain. I'll have cam, lifter and rockers kits available soon too.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

fastring wrote:
Nice write up. I agree, I wonder was a Ford Ranger with a new design 4cyl diesel would get for MPGs. Its like many years back when I would see the 4 door rangers and nissan pickups in baja and wonder "Why dont they sell those in the US. A 4 door pickup, now that would sell!" It took a decade, but we got them and now all trucks are 4 door it seems. Hopefully, we'll get diesel mini trucks and hopefully, mini trucks that are actually still...mini.

The Ranger down here in Australia is a fantaistic vehicle. I am not fond of the new one as it is so large, but the previous generation is a great rig which gets 30 MPG with gobs of power.

The 4 dorr Wrangler with the CRD down here is very powerful and comes with either the auto or a 6 speed manual. I have driven the 6 speed and it is a pure joy to drive. It is rated at 32 MPG hwy but I suspect that with an Eco Tune it could go closer to 35 - 36 without much effort. It is indeed a shame that they do not sell that rig in the US.

I agreethat it is a shame that Chrysler did not do a better job of marketing their CRDs. Many folks see my rig in Santa Fe and do not even realise that it was a US-available engine (including the mechanic at the dealer who told me that they would not work on it because they do not service grey market vehicles...).

The CRD has become a cult vehicle in the US because it is a great idea whose time came... and Chrysler missed it, despite having a ticket.

I have lived in Australia for 7 years and LOVE Toyota diesels. They are trouble-free, efficient and well-designed. I do not know why the Europeans and the Americans can not do the same thing. The VW and Jeep are the only two vehicles offered with diesels in the US and they are only good after a lot of home-engineering. The Subaru boxer diesel is fantastic out of the box, but it is not offered in the US. How sad that in a country like Australia where all wheel drive is about as useful as a condom in a nunnery, one can buy a Subaru diesel but in my own country, where snow makes all wheel drive almost essential, one can only buy the thirstier petrol Subaru.

Until the Japs start to sell their fantastic diesels to the Americans we will simply have to make due with the American and European excuses for diesel vehicles and tinker with them to make them reliable. I love my CRD - especially once all the of the GDE, ProVent and other 'corrections' are done to it. However, if Toyota sold its D4D in the 4Runner in the US, i would jump right in.

Chamba

CU Alumni
Flinders Law Alumni