It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: HARD SHIFT AT 20 MPH
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:24 pm 
LOST Member

Stan, they didn't say what exactly was wrong with the valve body. All the tech said something is sticking in the valve body. You know how Jeep is, they just throw parts in. I don't think they investigated the valve body problem. I know the tech very well who worked on it, if the junk truck hasn't been there yet I maybe could get the old valve body and you could analyze it if you are well versed on valve bodies.

13 Edge Limited AWD

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:27 am 
LOST Member

Princess's Jeep is back under the knife. Same issue. I'll keep you abreast of the next set of parts Jeep throws at 'er. :banghead:

13 Edge Limited AWD

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

Here is an update on my libby. Tranny shop called yesterday said it was done. I was excited to pick it up. Picked it up at closing time didn't have time to test drive before they left. When i pulled out shifts were firm and crisp I was happy until I got it up to highway speed. It shifted into od and felt good when all the sudden it did a funny shift and it made a loud bang and dropped out of od back into 4. I thought it was just air from the install wasnt to worried yet but it started shifting really bad and slipping now I was getting really nervous so I parked it and called the shop the next day and asked them what fluid they used it was mercon 4 I told them when I dropped it off that it took atf+4 and I would supply it if they didnt have it they said no they would get it. So now it is back at the shop and I dont no what is going on they were going to try to flush it all out but I dont no if the damage is done already and they are going to have to do an overhaul or what. If it is damaged they are going to have to fix it. I took it to the tranny shop because they are supposed to be the experts. I could have done the job if I had the time but maybe I will end up with a new tranny out of this.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:57 pm 
LOST Member

dksmj73 wrote:
...when all the sudden it did a funny shift and it made a loud bang and dropped out of od back into 4. I thought it was just air from the install wasnt to worried yet but it started shifting really bad and slipping...

Mine did this also after I changed the fluid and filters because it was low on fluid. The manual says 5 quarts after a filter change but it took closer to 9 and a few days of checking until the level maintained 'full'.

ORM, air filter mod, and less restrictive exhaust has increased my 'everyday' driving 3 mpg.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:52 pm 
LOST Member

Other than irritation will the hard shift hurt the transmission :?: :?: I don't have time to deal with it now.

GDE ECO Tune
Fumoto
Samco Hoses

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:19 pm 
LOST Junkie

Transmission - I don't think so.

U-joints perhaps.

Rubber components in the rear.. yes, if it's a daily driver then within 6-8 months the rubber isolators in the rear lower control arms will become so loose that it will begin to torque steer - that is, pull one direction when you press on the accelerator and the other under deceleration. The rough shifts hammer them until they begin to come apart, letting the rear axle pivot around the upper control arm's ball joint (center, top).

Try and deal with it as soon as you're able. Worse case, they're not difficult to replace (the R/LCAs).

Mark

tedder wrote:
Other than irritation will the hard shift hurt the transmission :?: :?: I don't have time to deal with it now.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 5:34 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks Mark, will be next month before I get to them.

GDE ECO Tune
Fumoto
Samco Hoses

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

I got the libby back from the shop for the second time after they changed the fluid and it shifted a little better but still messed up. I took it to autozone and pulled the codes and wow what a shock. Here is a list of the codes p0700,p 0702,p0730,p0733, p0735,p0870,and p1776. That is seven trans codes wtf did they do to my libby. I just wanted them to change the tc and install a transgo kit. The only thing I no they did wrong was use the wrong atf. Is it possible that the wrong atf is responsible for all these codes or is there another problem?

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:45 pm 
LOST Member

Is it still slipping and banging? Have you checked the fluid level? I got some P073x codes when my fluid was low. Like I mentioned earlier, it took a few days of adding fluid before my transmission was finally full. I hope your problem is that simple.

ORM, air filter mod, and less restrictive exhaust has increased my 'everyday' driving 3 mpg.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:44 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the reply stan I did check the fluid but it is hard to get an exact reading on the stick. It appears to be slightly above the top hole of the hot mark. The shifts are ok at light throttle around town but under heavy acceleration it shifts unpredictable and when it shifts into od at 64 mph the esp locks the front tires for a fraction of a secnond it will actualy skid the front tires for a second. Talk about scary that freaked me out the first time it did that. If you drive it hard upto 65mph it will either shift real funny and not skid or it will just hold 4 without shifting and the only way to get it to shift is to shut the vehicle off and restart. Also the tc doesn't apear to be locking up or if it is it will not hold lock. I am taking it back to the shop for the third time today wish me luck. Those codes seem to suggest that they either piched the harness or fried the electrical components in the trans. I hope I am wrong any input would be greatly apreciated. Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

Finaly a good news update I got the libby back today and it shifted great. The guy at the tranny shop said they had to swap out the valve body. They must have messed up something in the shift kit install. I no they didnt just go get a valve body off the shelf but what ever they did it worked. My guess is being a tranny shopp they had a junk 545 rfe and stole the valve body out of it. So the new euro tc feals great no shudder or loud road noise and no more hard shifting. It shifts so smooth you almost dont even notice the shifts. We will see how long this lasts it shifted great for 4 days after the stealer ship changed the filters last time and then it started the hard 2 3 shift. So I hope this was the long term fix only time will tell.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:50 am 
LOST Member

Princess's Jeep: new TCM. Hard shift gone. The nest is back to a peaceful state.

13 Edge Limited AWD

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:13 am 
LOST Junkie

Truckbouy,

How's princess's Jeep shifting these days? Was the TCM the final cure?

RUNNING B100
Pic of my Jeep!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:55 am 
LOST Member

The Jeep started the hard shift about a week after all the Chrysler visits. They had and have no idea what the issues is. The tech (who I know from another dealer is quite good at what he does) hooked it up to his drb drove it after resetting many times and said he watched the pressure slowly ramp (too high ? He never speculated out loud) up. His mumbo jumbo was it could be an internal leak. The only way would be to tear it apart and then it might not be found. Long story short, she needed the Jeep for work so enough getting jerked off by Chrysler for now. Keeping in mind this issue has been going on off and on for darn near the time since we got this. About a month or so after the last time in, I took it back. "Same issue you've been working on. Ok. we'll look at it." Half day passes, "I guess we can't find an external cause, we'll have to tear it down." "Oh by the way, the warranty is expired and you're looking at about 3400 bucks." So after a comment or two about their business practices, integrity and some spirited dialog I moved along. A bit more gleaning and studying here I've determined through the wisdom of the LOST'ers, that could be just the way it's going to shift. I showed her how to accelerate through it. So that's just the way it is. I've owned Chrysler vehicles (mostly Dodge trucks) for a long time. Some well built, some garbage. The more complicated they build this stuff, the more stuff that fails, and the sad part is they can't fix them because the techs aren't trained well enough because the people that design them can't figure it out. This is my first "high tech" jeep and my last high tech jeep.

13 Edge Limited AWD

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:20 pm 
LOST Junkie

Well that's a bummer. The mystery continues. Thanks for the update.

RUNNING B100
Pic of my Jeep!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:08 pm 
LOST Member

I just cataloged it under quirks and mysterious issues. The pan is clean, fluid is just like the last time I changed filters. So I don't think it's hard parts or clutch packs. I searched and read everything thing here on this transmission. One (can't remember who) had it torn down & rebuilt only to have the same issue arise. The information and knowledge here at LOST is just outstanding. I've been with the tech when he called on the mighty Star tech, tack or ship. Might as well contacted AAA. These CRDs are almost dinosaures compared to the new GC diesel and the D 1500 diesel. I cannot imagine the customer frustration when the always present Chrysler LLC quirks and mysterious issues begin to show up. If she blows and it obvious, the mystery will be solved. As for now, it's like the Kennedy assassination, theories galore.

13 Edge Limited AWD

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:42 pm 
LOST Addict

In case you want to go with a manual, you may find this interesting:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=64320&view=previous

More than likely you'll need to re-flash the tcm, if I remember correctly, it will still be needed.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

I know this is an old post I had the same problem with my jeep liberty turns out there is a control arm that is above the differential that wears out and causes the whole drive line to bind when shifting. The controll arm is a v shape that has a bushin on either side of v and what looks like a ball joint in the center of the v. No more bang when shifting after replacing.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:35 pm 
LOST Junkie

mtrapuzz wrote:
I know this is an old post I had the same problem with my jeep liberty turns out there is a control arm that is above the differential that wears out and causes the whole drive line to bind when shifting. The controll arm is a v shape that has a bushin on either side of v and what looks like a ball joint in the center of the v. No more bang when shifting after replacing.

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing. This has been driving me crazy. Do you have a part number?

RUNNING B100
Pic of my Jeep!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

I replaced the ball joint some months ago as it was somewhat loose.

This has made no improvement on the rough shift at 20MPH from 2 to 3 on my CRD.