It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HARD SHIFT AT 20 MPH
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:59 am 
LOST Member

I have a 2006 CRD with automatic trans and at 20 MPH it's like hitting a wall when the trans shifts. I have no codes or CEL. What could be causing this?

GDE ECO Tune
Fumoto
Samco Hoses

Post subject: Re: HARD SHIFT AT 20 MPH
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:51 am 
LOST Member

Just had the Princess's in for the same thing. They reset the shift points with the DRB and it was back to the same hard shift by the time we got it home. Back in. Re-checked, it was the valve body. They put it back together so she could drive it until the back ordered valve body arrived. One month later, new valve body. No issues again. Now her's was a Chrysler something or another and she'e got an 8/80 warranty so all this was on warranty.

13 Edge Limited AWD

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:53 am 
LOST Member

Thanks, I read your post but wasn't sure it was the same thing. I'll see if the dealer has a valve body before I take it in.

GDE ECO Tune
Fumoto
Samco Hoses

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:04 pm 
LOST Member

BACK ORDER NO ESTIMATE OF AVAILIBILITY :(

GDE ECO Tune
Fumoto
Samco Hoses

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:30 pm 
LOST Member

Second to third shift was, bog then bang into gear under normal easy throttle. Hard throttle was, slight bog then bang into gear.
When she took it in, that was the same, BO no estimate of delivery. That's why the Tech put it back together for her. I have a friend in parts that I've known through many Chrysler vehicles and he said if they have one in service they get priority for parts as opposed to just going in to order one. She got her's in a month and that was a surprise that it came in so soon. The poop I get from the parts boys, that after the bankruptcy they lost many of their parts suppliers and some replacement parts are long listed and hard to come by.

13 Edge Limited AWD

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:41 pm 
LOST Member

Does anyone know if there is a filter on this transmission? I want to try the simple stuff first before going for the big stuff. Valve body $627 ouch!!!!!

GDE ECO Tune
Fumoto
Samco Hoses

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:59 pm 
LOST Member

Yes. Two filters. One looks like a flat transmission filter and one that looks like a mini screw-on oil filter. You can try the "Quick Learn" reset on the Jeep on your own. Or you can have the dealership reset the shift parameters with the DRB. We tried all that stuff. Maybe you'll get lucky.

13 Edge Limited AWD

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

WIX filter set with pan gasket 58843 about $25.69 at Amazon with free shipping.

I'll display my ignorance just to get the question out there. Would a Transgo kit fix the issue as opposed to replacing the entire valve body? If not the 545RFE is a very common transmission so it seems to me obtaining a good valve body from a wrecked vehicle should be relatively easy.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:35 pm 
LOST Member

Papa, that would have been my course of action had not the Princess' Jeep been on warranty.

13 Edge Limited AWD

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:06 pm 
LOST Member

I missed something. Will the transgo kit work? I saw one on Ebay for $45 says you have to drop the trans to install.

GDE ECO Tune
Fumoto
Samco Hoses

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:34 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I don't know and truckbouy2's post is not clear on going with the transgo kit or a used valve body.

I have the transgo kit but SunCoast did the install as part of installing my SunCoast torque convertor. I do know you don't have to drop the transmission, except possibly as noted below, but you do have to open the bottom up and drop the valve body to swap out valves. See http://liberty.eurekaboy.com/transgo.htm and viewtopic.php?f=5&t=66810&p=733681&hilit=transgo#p733681

I also know that everyone now days recommends that you NOT install the included resistor. As I understand it the "learn" feature will shortly defeat whatever that resistor does.

I understand there are 2 transgo kits for our transmission but I don't have a clue what the difference, other than price, is. It may be that the pricey kit has stuff to do the valve in the pump; if so then you do have to drop the tranny to get to the pump.

Best I can do. You will have to get more/better information from others.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:36 pm 
LOST Member

If her Jeep wouldn't have been warrantied and KNOWING there was a valve body problem I probably would have sought out a good valve body from a wreck and installed a Sonnax valve body kit in it. Just adding a Transgo kit might not fix the issue. There might be something in the valve body that is an issue, IF that is your situation of which I'm not sure nor are you yet. Best bet is not to speculate too much and take it to Jeep dealer or a good transmission shop that you trust. The good transmission guys see a lot of this stuff and can advise you on the issue far better than me and you won't be just throwing expensive parts and manhours at it. Removing, installing a Sonnax or Transgo kit, and re-installing a valve body isn't a bad job (IF THAT IS THE ISSUE). If you have decent mechanical skills and don't mind transmission fluid in your arm pits, piece o' cake job.

13 Edge Limited AWD

Last edited by truckbouy2 on Fri May 11, 2012 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:42 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks Papa, did you have any codes when your's failed?

GDE ECO Tune
Fumoto
Samco Hoses

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:49 pm 
LOST Member

There were no codes when the Princess' went. Just the second to third bog and really hard shift. They looked three times for codes and reset the shift parameters twice with the DRB. Both times made no difference in performance.

13 Edge Limited AWD

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

My kj is doig the same thing 3 4 shift feels like you hit the brake hard and let off it as it makes the shift. Then it started doing the same thing on the 2 3 shift. So I took it to the stealer ship and they didn't get any codes so they dropped the tranny oil pan and found the main filter had split. So they changed the filter, did a quick learn on the tcm charged me $200 dollars. When i got it back it shifted great for 4 days then it started to slowly come back but only on the 3 4 shift so far. I talked to the dealer and explained to them about the f37 recall and they checked if my recall could be warranted and dc said since it was done in 06 and lasted this long that they would not do the recal work again since it lasted 6 years and 116000 miles. So i asked the dealer how much to have them perform the same work as the f37 and they said $2400. I thought that sounded crazy for a tc change. They were charging for a tranny overhaul with a new tc and front pump. I started donig research on the forum and believe this is my cheapest option. My theory is that the tc is starting to fail causing the tcm to compensated at the shift points but the tc is to inconsistent when it locks and unlocks that the tcm can not compensate any more. I forgot to mention that there is also alot of n oise coming out of tc area around 50 to 59 mph and if you are going up hill with cruise set it sounds horrible. So I bought a euro tc from mopar parts and a transgo shift kit from ebay and dropped it off at the tranny shop today. Should get it back next week and I will post how it worked. I think the shift kit on ebay is a updated kit because it does'nt have a resistore and it also works for the 68 rfe. I think they figured out that the tcm canceled out the resistore after a while so they dropped it from the kit reducing the price (just my opion don't no if that is true).

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:18 pm 
LOST Member

thanks sounds exactly what mine is doing and by the way this is my wifes "bert". i just drove it to Texas on business and it started doing it's thing. she blamed it on me. :(

GDE ECO Tune
Fumoto
Samco Hoses

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

I guess I should have mentioned in my last post that I didnt take it to the dealer. I took it to a tranny shop the total is going to be $900 when done not $2400.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:13 pm 
LOST Member

"thanks sounds exactly what mine is doing and by the way this is my wifes "bert". i just drove it to Texas on business and it started doing it's thing. she blamed it on me. "

That's funny. The only time I get to drive the Princess' Jeep is to pull it in the garage for service or when something is wrong. "Why is that doing that and what did you do to it when you worked on it last time. YOU better fix that." :ROTFL:

13 Edge Limited AWD

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:33 am 
LOST Member

tedder wrote:
BACK ORDER NO ESTIMATE OF AVAILIBILITY :(

Bout par for the course, these days. :ALONE:

Blue Samco hoses, because I want people to say, "Here's a guys who knows what he's after."
MAP sensor: clean.
As soon as the CRD reached the limit of the warranty, CEL went on.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:41 pm 
LOST Member

Does anyone know what was wrong with the valve body that caused the hard 2-3 shift? Sticking valve? Mine is doing the same thing off and on. Sometimes it shifts smoothly. Sometimes it chatters. Sometimes it bangs.

ORM, air filter mod, and less restrictive exhaust has increased my 'everyday' driving 3 mpg.