It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 05 no start and weirdness
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:50 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi I need help from all of the smart people. My 05 has been down for a couple of weeks and I am stuck. Here is the situation. I have been having problems with the serpentine belt flying off due to the tensioner wearing out. The last time I drove the beast I could hear a tack-tack-tack at idle. I pulled over shut down and looked under the hood. The belt had worked off the pulleys and a string of it was flying around. I cut it with my pocket knife and tenderly drove to work. When I left the office the CRD would not start. It would crank and almost fire up, like a gasser that is flooded, crank, speed up but never idle on its own. Towed to my mechanic who is very good with every Diesel but VM, factory trained on Duramax, VW etc. He tested it and it popped a PO344 (camshaft sensor) so he replaced that but could not get it to start and run reliably. It would start and idle, drive around the block but then wouldn't start. He tested the sensors and the harness and it lead to a diagnosis of computer. I ordered a junk yard computer, sent it to Keith at GDE to get the reflash and back home. Installed and this computer shows P0344-CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR INTERMITTENT SIGNAL PLAUSIBILITY, P0560-ECM VOLTAGE TOO LOW, P0564-S/C SWITCH #1 SIGNAL CIRCUIT PLAUSIBILITY . P0589-S/C SWITCH #2 SIGNAL CIRCUIT PLAUSIBILITY . P0688-AUTO SHUTDOWN SENSE CIRCUIT LOW.

Mechanic still thinks its a computer error but I am not convinced. I feel that when you don't know its easy to point at the mysterious computer and blame it. Keith has offered to test my old computer but I am holding off shipping until I have a better grasp on the situation.

Going back to the last event, the belt flapping around I am wondering if a harness or object could be damaged? I am considering towing it home because I can guess at problems for free. I have the FSM but I don't have or cant find the code trouble shooting step by step.

Ideas, thoughts, guidance please.

Thanks Clay.

Magnaflow (ish) exhaust

Post subject: Re: 05 no start and weirdness
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:38 pm 
LOST Member

I'm not experienced enough to have anything to contribute, but I am interested to see what you've got going on.

More kudos to Keith.

:POPCORN:

Blue Samco hoses, because I want people to say, "Here's a guys who knows what he's after."
MAP sensor: clean.
As soon as the CRD reached the limit of the warranty, CEL went on.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:41 pm 
LOST Addict

Hmmm.......has the battery been trickle charged overnight to make sure that its not the problem.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:45 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Try it with a fresh known good loaner battery as battery "issues" can do this sort of thing. I've seen new batteries to this and I've seen tested "good" batteries do this and I've seen just charged batteries do this.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

I agree with the battery. I had a Dakota once that would start without a jump start but wouldn't idle for the first 10min of running. Replaced the battery, problem solved.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:25 pm 
LOST Newbie

Oh I was not specific but it will crank like nobodies business. Fairly new red top Optima. Not feeling the battery fix.

New update from the mechanic, more weirdness.
Maybe a new direction. I had them install the old computer to compare against the "new" computer. Old computer will occasional start and run but will not restart. Mechanic started checking fuel pressure, when running there is plenty of pressure. When not starting little to no pressure. I am pretty sure this was done with the "crack the fitting" test.

This could be a fuel delivery issue but none of the codes are showing fuel issues. Not sure how it works but I assume there is a pressure regulating valve on the rail leading to a return. Is this electronically regulated? What would cause intermittent pressure issues?

Magnaflow (ish) exhaust

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I hope you well get better advice soon but in the meantime check to see if you have the updated fuel filter head, because the first generation are prone to failure. Intermittent fuel pressure problem might be a intermittent leak in the fuel system. (fuel filter and priming pump)

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited CRD, JBA coilovers-4.5 Arms, 5xMoab's with 265-75-16 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ, Safari snorkel, Suncoast T/C, GDE Hot tune, Mandrel bent CAC Tubes, EHM to airbox, Mopar skid's, Fumoto Drain Valve, 3% Tint, ARB front bumper, Full set of Miller tools (9599) to loan within my immediate vicinity.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:11 am 
LOST Junkie

cmpbiker wrote:
Oh I was not specific but it will crank like nobodies business. Fairly new red top Optima. Not feeling the battery fix.

Maybe a new direction. I had them install the old computer to compare against the "new" computer. Old computer will occasional start and run but will not restart. Mechanic started checking fuel pressure, when running there is plenty of pressure. When not starting little to no pressure. I am pretty sure this was done with the "crack the fitting" test.

This could be a fuel delivery issue but none of the codes are showing fuel issues. Not sure how it works but I assume there is a pressure regulating valve on the rail leading to a return. Is this electronically regulated? What would cause intermittent pressure issues?

There is a fuel pressure solenoid attached to the high pressure fuel pump.

A stupid question maybe but does your jeep have the SKIM security system with the transducer in the keys...does the SKIM key symbol flash on the console or stay on permanent?

If so, how did Keith manage to program your junkyard ECM properly....the PCM needs the unique SKIM data...did you send him a spare key for the programming? :?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

Bill,
Never seen a SKIM message, so I would have to say no. Keith used the codes from when I had him do the original flash.

Reading through the FSM it seems like we still have an issue with the Camshaft Position Sensor or mechanism. From what I have read during the first 30 seconds the system wants the pump to push as much pressure as possible. The exception is that if the CPS doesn't read a position then it wont close the solenoid. If I read between the lines if the Crankshaft Position Sensor is problematic then the pressure will build but the injectors will not fire. make sense?

Magnaflow (ish) exhaust

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:56 pm 
LOST Junkie

Billwill wrote:
cmpbiker wrote:

A stupid question maybe but does your jeep have the SKIM security system with the transducer in the keys...does the SKIM key symbol flash on the console or stay on permanent?

If so, how did Keith manage to program your junkyard ECM properly....the PCM needs the unique SKIM data...did you send him a spare key for the programming? :?

Keith can probably explain it better, but he programmed my spare ECU with no issues and all I sent was the VIN number and injector codes.....no keys. The SKIM may be in the BCM and check the VIN with the ECU.

Provent @ 43,000 km
SEGR in progress
SAMCO Sport hoses @ 48500 km
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

What did you determine was the problem?? My boss used my car and the belt came off, I replaced the belt, and the alternator pulley, I scanned the computer and had a P0430 code for the camshaft position sensor malfunction. I replaced the sensor as well, and now I'm still getting the P0340 code along with P0344 camshaft position sensor intermittent. I would like to say I'm dealing with an identical problem except my little CRD won't even start, It hits a few times and gives up.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:30 am 
LOST Addict

Billwill wrote:
cmpbiker wrote:

Bill, I may be wrong, but as I know skim connects to bcm not ecm. I know Keith doesn't need any other info but vin number and optional, injector codes. Replacing bcm needs a new pairing with the skim which I think is dealer only.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:09 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I've had plenty of issues with wiring on my CRD. One of which was the pigtail to the fuel pressure sensor close to the firewall. Perhaps you have an issue with the connector or wiring to that cam sensor.

I had the ABS issue with the sensor in the rear diff, and had the sensor replaced, which did not fix the problem. My mechanic finally was able to find TWO breaks in the wiring in the harness to that sensor.

'01 Beetle TDi B100, EGR delete
'83 Mercedes 240D B100, no EGR

--- SEGR Builder ---

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

Did anyone find the answer to this?
Having the same code P0344 & P0340 Hits a few times and dies.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:13 pm 
LOST Addict

Two things
You may want to start a new thread with the history and codes to save people a lot of time reading through the other posts and you may want to PM original poster if they are still active or email them or both. For instance did your belt break ?

The most likely two things with those codes are
1. It actually is the cam sensor
2. Its a bad ground or short , this could be anywhere not necessarily just the wires going to that sensor.
3. Weak or shorting battery.

I would fully charge battery with it disconnected and if possible do a load test. next inspect clean and reconnect all the grounds especially the one not in the manual in front and below the battery tray. Look for shorts in wires especially in the portion of harness to the cam sensor. Try just wiggling etc if you don't find obvious one and see what happens.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden