It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another Glow Plug issue??
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well, at least it surfaced after I changed the glow plugs. I used the Etecno 7v plugs and replaced the GP relay at the same time. The battery was completly disconnected during the whole time. After I completed, I started the Jeep and several times the thing died like the security system took over (5 sec running then died)This happened twice. The jeep started to idle normally and rev up as normal, then I hooked up my code reader, and the dash died and got a "no buss" on the dashboard. quickly removed the reader and the dash came to life and everthing was fine. I changed the battery in the code reader, same thing. took the jeep to the local O'Reilly's and borrowed their scan reader, same thing. Went to a auto shop and with their snap on scanner, they could not communicate. The jeep runs fine.
My scanner is a Actron unit and it has never giving any trouble, but only use it to read codes and erase them.

Any ideas??? :banghead:

InMotion Stage 2
SEGR - runnin' good
Cummings Lift pump
Fia - Winter / Summer Cover
Turbo Timer

Post subject: Re: Another Glow Plug issue??
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If running okay and no CEL on I would not worry about it. Seems that the only real reader that will work on our CRD's are the one at the dealership. To me the computer buss and communication is not that good on our CRD's, I wonder if it is the same on the gassers as well? :2cents:

Post subject: Re: Another Glow Plug issue??
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

even on the V6's there are some codes that need the dealership's code reader - however
The CRD has a jury rigged computer system that Mickey Mouse would be ashamed of.

On computer systems you can only have one master control - and other systems have to respond to it...Well

VM motori - because they sell the engine for many applications - has a master in the engine software
and Jeep - because they use multiple engine in the Liberty's has a master in it's software.

so the correct response would be to rewrite one - however that's not what Jeep did
they put in a bug - that after the engine starts and runs ~ 15 minutes or so - locks up that software.........

so it's not unusual for a code reader (or a Scangauge ) to read data initially - and then lock up after about 15-20 minutes of running....