It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: NY diesel inspection change as of July 1,2012
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:56 pm 
LOST Member

Connecticut does have emissions tests, every two years, and it only costs $20. No safety inspection.

They plug into the OBD port, same as NY. My Liberty always passed fine; just clear any codes a few days before you take it in.

BTW, Vermont will allow you to register your vehicle there, with a NY address. I have seen Vermont registration cards with a New York address right on the document. I don't know if you have to show proof of some address in Vermont, or own property or what, but it can be done.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:50 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
It could be what they call an "non resident registration" or something along those lines. I did that in New Hampshire with a motorcycle that I didn't want to pay the sales tax on, while I was up there for the summer. What would have been about $600 in Florida, was $150 and a $15 "inspection" to see that it had taillights. They mailed the title to my home address, no problem.

The lady at the tag office did suggest that "the vehicle needed to stay in New Hampshire" when I left... I might have forgotten that part when I packed up a few weeks later. :roll: 8)

I'd think that as long as you had an address to use, all would be fine. Obviously NH has inspections too, so if you are doing any out-of-state registration, it might help to use either a state you know isn't STUPID with the inspection (or using inept people / tech) or better yet... A state that doesn't bother with this nonsense.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:23 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Jlseifried wrote:
I just took my 06 liberty crd to get it inspected, and the nys inspection computer said that it could not connect. I then took it to the dealer, and had the same problem. The dealer scan tool was able to read the ECU/PCM just fine, with no codes present. Also another scan tool was able to read the ECU/PCM. Has anybody else had this problem, or have any ideas? There are no mods to the vehicle and the software in the ECU/PCM is up to date.

Thanks

I had the same problem today. The problem is with the state computer system, not our CRDs.

My CRD kept failing, but there were no codes or other problems. The technician called Albany and the emissions people gave me a one-time pass. I will have to go through the same thing next year. The odd thing is when they were given the plate number, the person (in Albany) said "I know that plate number". It seemed like Albany knows their system is having a problem with CRDs, but has not provided a fix yet.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

All inspection stations were required to purchase a new inspection computer at the end of last year and begin using it january of this year. I had been waiting for the new inspection Hw/Sw to see if that was the issue, and it was. When they connected the new system it was able to recognize the ECU and successfully read it. Does your guy have the new system? Or maybe there is still a problem with the 2005 CRDs.
When my guy called albany they didn't want to know nothing and told him to call some company in Indiana (guess no one in NY can write crappy Sw). When he talked to them he got questions like is the computer plugged in, is it connected to the OBDII connector, is the software running..., try rebooting. After all that the support guy said that is was not his problem.
I'm still pissed about the fact that it initially cost me 8hrs of labor at the dealer to tell me there was no problem.

Good luck with your issue, sounds like at least the state recognizes that there is a problem if only the 2005 year.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:57 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

That's strange. I got my crd inspected on the last week of January and noticed that the inspection software on the screen of the computer was different. I asked the guy if they got a new program and he said yes he did and they've been using it ever since the first week of January. He plugged me in and everything checked out ok. 10 minutes and I was out the door.

I remember one of a members cousins was having issues and his crd was an 06 also.

Read here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=75128

06 CRD
OME HD w/clevis top plate
JBA 4.5 UCAs
245/75/16r Goodyear Duratrax
Fumoto Valve, V6 ABM
Rock Lizard Super Skinks
Cobra 75 WX ST
ECO GDE tune, 2.5 straight piped
ProVent, Samcoed
Non F37ed TCM
DieHard P1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:49 pm 
LOST Member

Just had the same problem, I've been to two shops and the computer is not communicating with the CRD. Looks like I just need to get a shop to call Albany to get a waiver for a year? Is that right? Maybe they'll get it sussed out by next year...
Where did you have yours done VMKJ?? Might have to run over there.

In action on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oCq4Xa1lH4

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:08 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PM sent Barley.

06 CRD
OME HD w/clevis top plate
JBA 4.5 UCAs
245/75/16r Goodyear Duratrax
Fumoto Valve, V6 ABM
Rock Lizard Super Skinks
Cobra 75 WX ST
ECO GDE tune, 2.5 straight piped
ProVent, Samcoed
Non F37ed TCM
DieHard P1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:57 pm 
LOST Member

She's all inspected up. My shop just had to call the DMV Technical Assistance Unit and they took care of things on their end. They were very helpful about it, every shop most likely has the number handy, I'd list it here but I left it with my Jeep when I dropped it for the inspection and never got it back. FYI.

In action on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oCq4Xa1lH4

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:44 am 
LOST Newbie

Just want to add that my '05 CRD experienced the same issue when I went in for my inspection this year. I use a private mechanic, but we contacted the local dealers and they hadn't had any experience inspecting one of these in the last year. He opened a support ticket with the NYS inspection people and they are aware of the issue. They were able to make an exemption on their end and then the Jeep sailed through the inspection. So basically, I didn't actually get an OBD test, but I still had to pay for it. Plus, my CRD was parked for a few weeks while we figured this out.

My mechanic was told that the issue should be resolved on their end by the time I come back in next year, but if it's not, we're not sure if we'll have to go through the same process again, or is the exemption set for my VIN/plate number for now...

EBC 3GD Dimp&Slot Rotors & Green Stuff Pads
ClsIII Hitch, Tow Kit, Prodigy P2 (towing camper or toys), Cargo Basket
P225/75R16 Wrangler AT Adventure
110,000+ miles (Timing Belt done!)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:25 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

My 06 LTD passed the 2014 inspection with no problems, I think it is because the 06 uses all CAN protocol?

Now I will have to see how the 06 Sport does in a couple of months?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

i just had my '05 Liberty in for inspection today and had the same problem. Shop computer could not read the jeeps brain. Fortunately, with the help of this thread, I was able to convince the mechanic to call NYS. He gave them the VIN and the plate number and within 10 minutes the inspection was complete. Apparently NYS is familiar with this issue with our jeeps (they informed my mechanic that there are 35 such jeeps in the state with the same problem). Once the vin is in their system the problems is solved.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:41 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

This does seem to be more of a problem with the 05 CRDs.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just had my crd in for inspection, like others it would not connect to the server, the shop called Albany and the did some vudo.....and it passed without even being connected to the computer.....I got my sticker. Im happy, the shop is happy and the state is happy! :BANANA:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:22 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Anybody know if Jersey has these inspections? I may be moving up there sometime in the next couple of years, and I'd rather not have to keep an address in Georgia if I don't need to... But I'm allergic to giving money to the state for them to tell me that I need to give them more money.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:34 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

geordi wrote:
Anybody know if Jersey has these inspections? I may be moving up there sometime in the next couple of years, and I'd rather not have to keep an address in Georgia if I don't need to... But I'm allergic to giving money to the state for them to tell me that I need to give them more money.

Jersey is a little money hungry, NY is the worst, and one of the states that the Libbly CRD was not available, and for a lot of years even the VW TDI. I am not sure you are going to like it up here southern Man. Maybe consider NH as the least regulated state on the NE coast.

This is a good start if you are making plans on becoming a Yankee. :mrgreen:

http://freedominthe50states.org/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:57 pm 
LOST Addict

NY'er by birth... Exiled to the 6th borough by my family when I was 2.

I love NY (screw the idiots with the t-shirts) so I'm not worried about that stuff. I work in the film industry and live in an RV, so NY and Long Island is just too expensive and doesn't offer any options for the RV anyway. But I have to be close to Manhattan and Brooklyn b/c that is where the lions share of the work is. I found a place that includes electric (so basically all utilities except internet) for 800/mo... But its in Jersey.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:10 pm 
LOST Member

I suggest keeping the GA business license and title the jeep to the business.

We keep our NJ office vehicles titled in PA in an affiliate company that is just for our vehicles.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:24 pm 
LOST Addict

Looking at that site that you posted FLman...

"Local zoning laws are extremely strict, rent control is authorized, eminent domain has scarcely been reformed, and private malls and homeowners’ associations must allow political speech on their property. Labor laws are predictably costly, with a strict workers’ compensation mandate, short-term disability and paid family leave programs, a “smoker protection” law in employment, and of course no right-to-work law. Occupational licensing is ranked worse than average, and there is extensive community rating for private health insurance. The state also scores poorly on the regulation of other insurance, although rate classification prohibitions were apparently removed during 2009—10.
New Jersey’s gun control laws are among the most restrictive in the country, not surprisingly given the state’s ideology. Its marijuana laws are not as liberal as one might expect from a left-leaning state, although a fairly restrictive medical marijuana law was enacted in 2010. New Jersey is ranked as the very worst state for travel freedom, with primary seat belt enforcement, motorcycle and bicycle helmet laws, a cell phone driving ban with primary enforcement, a federally compliant open container law, sobriety checkpoints, and mandatory underinsured motorist coverage for drivers. Fireworks and raw milk are prohibited. Cigarette taxes are high, and smoking bans are as draconian as any in the country. On the positive side, home and private schools are hardly regulated at all. Same-sex partnerships are also recognized. Alcohol is not very regulated, although there is a “happy hour” ban. The state’s crime adjusted incarceration rate is fairly low."

I'm not seeing their problems as downsides. ;)
Rent control is a good thing if you are a renter, I don't smoke, and I'm not really a fan of being killed by a gun nut or an drunk driver.
I like workers comp and family leave (not that I'd need that).. And I'm a film union member already. I don't partake in weed... Although I think that law will be changing federally soon anyway.

I think I'd be OK with the landscape up there. ;)

Post subject: NY diesel inspection change as of July 1,2012
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:58 am 
LOST Addict

By gun control in NJ understand this: you can get killed by any idiot that illegally has a gun and have no legal means to carry a gun yourself to defend against those felons. Crime rate in jersey (city) is one of the top in the country.

Good luck :p

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:39 pm 
LOST Addict

You can be killed by an illegal gun user anywhere. Adding more guns to the mix doesn't make you safer, it increases the chances that you will be gunned down by your OWN gun or the criminal will be more likely to use his against you first.

I'm more concerned about being shot by a COP than I am by criminals, because I have already been badly mistreated by cops in the south on three different occasions. Guns won't help that.

I don't care if someone else feels they need to carry to feel safe in society, it isn't for me. I feel there should be less guns overall, not more. This isn't the Wild Wild West anymore, and everyone these days (cops especially) are WAY too trigger happy and stressed out to be responsible with the power of life and death. It just isn't a good combination. Are there some safe and responsible gun owners? Certainly, the vast majority are.

But on the VERY FIRST DAY of the "guns everywhere" law in Georgia, some idiot got into a confrontation in a quickie-mart demanding to see another idiot's gun license - Neither were cops, and both were carrying... The first idiot pulled his, without cause and escalating the situation.

This is what we as a society want to encourage?