It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fuel leak at tank when filling
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:21 pm 
LOST Junkie

Every time I fill my CRD, it leaks a significant amount of fuel from the top drivers side of the tank. I took it to the dealer and they had no idea what it is. I even took the mechanic to the fuel station and filled it while he watched under the Jeep. He confirmed it was coming from the vent. I got home and pulled the white (check valve?) off and it was evident that it was leaking at this tiny valve. Question is: is there a part number for this tiny simple assed thing? It looks the same as on a weedeater. Is it even a check valve? I took it apart and there was no ball or rubber thing inside, it was completely hollow, so either it is not a check valve, or it is defective. I need to fix this asap as it is starting to piss me off!! :banghead:

Post subject: Re: Fuel leak at tank when filling
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Have you pulled parts manuals for Sir Sam's NOOB guide and looked there?

I'm not clear if you are talking about a tank vent or a vent up by the filler. If it's the latter you may have loose or decayed hose or maybe you just need to run the pump until the auto shut off and stop there although for what it's worth in the past I've filled to clear fuel at the filler with no leakage.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:23 pm 
LOST Junkie

papaindigo wrote:
Have you pulled parts manuals for Sir Sam's NOOB guide and looked there?

I'm not clear if you are talking about a tank vent or a vent up by the filler. If it's the latter you may have loose or decayed hose or maybe you just need to run the pump until the auto shut off and stop there although for what it's worth in the past I've filled to clear fuel at the filler with no leakage.

This is the tank vent, not the one by the filler. but the one on the tank itself. I could not find it in the parts manuals. I have always topped it off with no trouble. This is a recent issue. Even if I let the pump auto shut off, it'll leak a little. It is an annoying mess that will only piss someone, other than me, off at a gas station, haha...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:36 am 
LOST Junkie

Hey, remember, you are paying Big Bucks for every spoonful of fuel it leaks away, too.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:47 am 
LOST Junkie

So the small air vent valve is not available through Chrysler from what I can tell. You have to buy the entire fuel tank?! What kind of crap is that?!

Post subject: Fuel leak at tank when filling
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:49 am 
LOST Junkie

Mine would leak a little whenever I would top off the tank. I got a 3-4 foot piece of 1/4" tubing(I think?) and relocated the valve up by the filler neck. It has not leaked since.

RUNNING B100
Pic of my Jeep!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:20 pm 
LOST Junkie

Got a message from the dealer. They ordered some "kit" to replace the valve. I was under the impression that no such thing was available. I will try to find out some more info and get some answers when I take it in for repair... Maybe Chrysler finally decided to release parts to fix this. I did quite a bit of research on it, and I am not alone. Gassers have this issue, and there have been a few CRD's with this issue. I want it fixed right, I don't want to modify it if I don't have to.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:01 am 
LOST Addict

You want to put the vent way higher than the tank. I bet this is what the repair kit does.

K&N, Samco Hoses, Michelin 245/70-16 LTX A/T2, Fumoto F-102, V-Force Muffler, Mopar, Hitch, Trailer Wiring, Skid Plates, Slush Mats, Rear Shelf, Predator Stage 1, Transgo, ORM & CodeReader, Facet 40109 Pump
"IT'S A DIESEL THING, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND"
Certified Services Auto & Truck Repair

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:48 pm 
LOST Addict

Anyone know for sure what sized hose or tubing to extend the vent? I'm finally eliminating the quick connect today, and want to relocate the vent because it leaks sometimes

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:12 pm 
LOST Addict

I sold my Jeep last summer

K&N, Samco Hoses, Michelin 245/70-16 LTX A/T2, Fumoto F-102, V-Force Muffler, Mopar, Hitch, Trailer Wiring, Skid Plates, Slush Mats, Rear Shelf, Predator Stage 1, Transgo, ORM & CodeReader, Facet 40109 Pump
"IT'S A DIESEL THING, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND"
Certified Services Auto & Truck Repair