It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NO POWER
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ok now I've got a problem, turned on to the freeway about 80 miles from home, and the Liberty coughed and just lost all power, made it home, accelerator pedel floored trans in 3rd OD off, could get up to maybe 75 down hill and after a 2-3 mile run, up hill I was in 2nd max speed 45, made it home somehow, now will start if I step on the gas, but otherwise will die again, you guys with some time with this car can you help me?Liberty has about 4,800 miles. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:33 pm 
LOST Addict

Check the fuel filter first. You can swap it out yourself, $38 at the dealer. If that doesn't do it, then you need to get the vehicle itself into the dealer.

If you take it into the dealer and let them change the filter, you'll get popped for the labor, as dirty/contaminated fuel isn't covered under the warranty.

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:44 pm 
LOST Addict

To expand a little, if the fuel filter swap does get it running, I'd still get it to the dealer pronto and let them evaluate whether or not the fuel system needs to be drained and flushed.

If it is contaminated fuel, hang onto your fuel receipts, as you'll need them as proof along with the repair bill to go back to the station owner and recover the cost of repairs.

FWIW, sounds just like what happened to mine second time the fuel filter clogged on mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks guys I knew someone would have an answer, I'll try the fuel filter, funny I've driven my Dodge Cummins 15,000-20,000 miles between fuel filter changes.It felt like it was lack of fuel, now to find out where it is?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:44 am 
LOST Newbie

My CRD did the same thing.
After I got it home and it sat overnite.All was fine the next day?No problems since.14,000 Miles!
I ordered a fuel filter at that time.Didn't need it.Have it in reserve for when I do.Hope it never happens again.I would like to know what went wrong?
Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks trailblazer, I was going to get on my motorcycle and try to find a fuel filter, but after reading your post, went out to try the Liberty, yep started and ran perfectly, what gives?I would hate for this to happen on a long trip.I'll get a filter and keep it with me, just in case.Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

I am NO EXPERT but I am guessing this was some sort of Computer problem.Before mine acted up.I went to start it and cranked the engine over for a few seconds.Then let up expecting it to start.When it didn't start right away I quickly Turned off the Ignition and then got back into it.
I am thinking this may have did something to the computer.I now engage the starter untill the engine starts.
Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:35 pm 
LOST Addict

805gregg wrote:
Thanks trailblazer, I was going to get on my motorcycle and try to find a fuel filter, but after reading your post, went out to try the Liberty, yep started and ran perfectly, what gives?I would hate for this to happen on a long trip.I'll get a filter and keep it with me, just in case.Thanks again.

Good idea. FWIW, I'd add an aftermarket fuel filter ahead of the stock one, preferably one that's easier to drain and in a location that's easier to change out. The stock filter is a PITA to change out in your driveway with all the tools near at hand, I can imagine trying to do it at a rest area or along the side of the road. Probably not necessary for normal commuting and using the same station that you know has good quality fuel, but on a long trip where you don't know what you'll be getting it's cheap insurance and peace of mind.

Post subject: this is called "limp mode"
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:50 pm 
LOST Junkie

Mine has done this twice. The first time, it was 80 miles after an EGR transplant, and I discovered that turning the engine off, then restarting reset the 'puter, and it was back to normal . . . as long as I only gave it half-throttle. I found then that bumping the shifter into neutral as I rolled down the road, engine off-then restart (don't take the key out, for god's sake!) worked just fine.

Turned out it was 'cause the mech who did the EGR forgot to tighten the fittings on the fuel line from the tank and she was suckin' air.

The second time it happened, it was 'cause my sensor array in the intake had burned out. We're still fighting that one.

In any case, this behavior is called "limp mode" and it supposed to allow you to get home after something bad-but-not-totally-fatal has happened. Something that causes the computer to decide Bad Things Have Just Happened. There is, however, no need to drive any great distance in limp mode. Chances are (depending on what it was that happened) you might be able to reset the computer, and have normal power, as long as you take it easy on the go pedal. Both times for me, that was what happened.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:37 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I talked to my disel mechanic, he said it sounded like my turbo was shut off by the computer and when I started it the next day it reset the computer, if it happens again I will stop and turn off the engine let it rest and try to re-start.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:49 am 
LOST Newbie

Sounds like what happened a few times to our CRD, we also had intermittently the CEL on/off. Took it into the dealer, diagnostics said the boost sensor was malfunctioning intermittently. Boost sensor has been replaced (25 minutes), no more power loss, definitely more torque and mileage has improved considerably. :D

- Reese Pilot brake controller

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Took my Liberty to see if they could find anything on the computer, it showed (2) codes were stored in the computer po299,po300, then they were told by tech hot line to flash program the powertrain and transmission with all curent updates whic too about 45 min then they performed bulletin #18/008/06, so I guess it is fixed. Anybody know what those codes mean?