It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: DZL_LOU
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:53 pm 
LOST Addict

tired_old_dave wrote:
Did you also ask for help at edmunds as dzl_lou? On that forum someone complained about exhaust fumes/smell in the cabin. The zone rep/engineer per the post rolled up his shirts sleeves and "retaped an exhaust connection?". Can't give the name or the date. My Jan 05 build date is so clean a jeep manager asked how many times have I cleaned under the hood. Never cleaned, just tightened everything.
That is the way our CRD is under the hood, but the interior is starting to take on the look of a dumpster. The little women will not wash it or vacuum it out. It has had three wash jobs since buying the thing last Oct and has only once been vacuumed out.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Last edited by oldnavy on Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:33 pm 
LOST Junkie

Dave:
I remember the post, but don't remember the poster's name. It was someone here in NH who had a problem with both exhaust odor in the cabin and the overheating. His dealer could not (would not?) fix the problem and he invoked NH's Lemon Law. He had no response from DCX until the last day when they sent out the regional tech to his house (?). The tech taped up the exhaust seal (manifold?) to fix the problem. I don't know what happened with the overheat problem as he only had it with towing in hot weather, but by the time the tech came out it was cooler. If I remember right, NH law gives you lemon "privilages" until the experation of the warranty, so he was going to wait until this summer to see what happened with the towing/overheating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:30 am 
LOST Junkie

vtdog wrote:
Wow-air filters get dirty!!! Who wudda thunk? What an amazing find, dirt on an air filter.

Seriously, you guys gotta calm down. Every squeek and rattle, or unexpected jolt and many here run screaming into the night like 12 year old girls. Please, get a life.

Yeah, that's why I joined this forum to get good discourse on shared experiences with the CRD. An opener like this is truly insightful and the hallmark of a mental giant.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:36 am 
LOST Junkie

tired_old_dave wrote:
Did you also ask for help at edmunds as dzl_lou? On that forum someone complained about exhaust fumes/smell in the cabin. The zone rep/engineer per the post rolled up his shirts sleeves and "retaped an exhaust connection?". Can't give the name or the date. My Jan 05 build date is so clean a jeep manager asked how many times have I cleaned under the hood. Never cleaned, just tightened everything.

Yes, thank you for sharing that information. Nice to see that DCX is using duct tape. I also noticed small strips of black duct tape on the terminations of the hoses. I'm going to check all the clamps on the hoses carrying or recirculating exhaust gases.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:57 am 
LOST Addict

DZL_LOU wrote:
tired_old_dave wrote:

Yes, thank you for sharing that information. Nice to see that DCX is using duct tape. I also noticed small strips of black duct tape on the terminations of the hoses. I'm going to check all the clamps on the hoses carrying or recirculating exhaust gases.
Yup, check you CCV hoses. They be taped up also, sounds like someone got caught with thier pants down.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:34 pm 
LOST Junkie

DZL_Lou

I would rather be known for my bluntness and lack of civility than for a habit of pants wetting whenever the car does something "unusual". Its just a car, drive it, enjoy it, but don't obsess over it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:43 am 
LOST Junkie

vtdog wrote:
DZL_Lou

I would rather be known for my bluntness and lack of civility than for a habit of pants wetting whenever the car does something "unusual". Its just a car, drive it, enjoy it, but don't obsess over it

It's good that you've identified yourself to be "known" for something.

New EGR Flow Control Valve @ 25,020 miles
New Transfer Case input/output seals @ 32,787 miles
SEGR Kit @ 52,000 miles
SunCoast TC and Transgo Shift Kit @ 52,000 miles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:57 am 
LOST Junkie

Dzl:

Sorry I got your panties in a twist

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:33 am 
LOST Member

fireman1028 wrote:
It's not the fact that air filters get dirty, it is that some (if not most) CRD owners are new to diesel's and some maintenance items (like air filters) do not need to be replaced until around 25-30 k on a gasser.

Prior to my CRD I owned a VW Jetta TDI, and I changed the air filter every 30k (the owner's manual suggested every 20K). Some TDI owners ran their air filters longer and used an add on device to monitor the filter's effectiveness.

Here's the link if anyone is interested:

http://www.filterminder.com/

I'll have to check my air filter because I wasn't planning on changing mine for a while yet. If I have to change mine after 7,500 miles I would think this is something unique to Liberty CRD's, not diesel's in general.

Fumoto Oil Drain Valves (Oil Pan & Transfer Case)
V6 Airbox Mod
New Driveshaft, New EGR
2003 Wrangler Sport 4.0L, Bright Blue
2007 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 4 Door, Red Rock Crystal Pearl WOW!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:45 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I still change my V6 Liberty air filters every spring and fall, even if I drive just 15K a year. We're talking about $12.00 extra a year to keep clean dirt free air flowing through the engine. Not exactly a lot of money to keep the abrasive levels down in our engines. This should further translate into less abrasives in the cylinder walls, engine oil and bearing surfaces. On the CRD, add the turbo compressor vanes and you keep benefitting from not testing the limits of what your engine can stand in regard to saving a few bucks on air filters. It should also help increase oil change intervals or at the very least keep the abrasive levels down on standard interval oil changes.

I read that using 12 to 15 psi of boost will double the airflow through an engine versus a normally aspirated engine - if this is true, our 2.8L diesel is breathing for a 5.6L sized displacement. Since the filter is identical on my 02 V6 and 05 CRD, I notice that the CRD filter is much dirtier than the V6 at the same mileage intervals. This makes sense. I also believe the black debris to be mostly tire and road oil residue picked up from highways. There is also quite a bit of sand or silica particles on my air filters.

So, assuming 15K miles per year, over a 100K mileage interval, we are talking about 6 extra air filters, or $72 over a normal lifetime for most drivers. To put it in perspective, that's about the same cost as 12 cups of gourmet coffee over the lifetime vehicle ownership of most owners, or about 2 cups of coffee per year. Pretty cheap insurance. Your CRD will be happy. Your denist will be happy. Your teeth will be whiter. Such a deal.

IronMan Lift/Shocks/Provent/Moog ball joints/ V6 Airbox/Fan/Hayden
Cobalt Boost/EGT/Oil/Trans/Volt gauges/Aeroturbine 2525
Yeti Hot Tune/Odessey 65/Samco's/Michelin Defenders

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:16 am 
LOST Member

Mine was nasty at about 7 or 8K miles. Changed it and it's a little dirty again. I'll be dropping a new one in next month before my road trip to D.C.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin, 1759