It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ram Transmission Control Module (TCM) users and results
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:03 pm 
LOST Member

I ran the 5.7 TCM for over a year. The problem I had with it was it tended to lug the engine way below 1500 rpm's. If you live in really flat country, like maybe southern Florida, it may work there. If you live in any hilly country and drive speeds of less than 55mph, in my opinion, this won't work for you. I pulled mine & had GD insert their tune into my original CRD TCM. The GD tune makes the tranny function much better for my driving environment than the 5.7 TCM did.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Dennis.

I've had the "euro" tc and new style front pump and a "pre f-37" tcm for about 4 years now give or take.

And GDE's "Full torque" tune

In my mind it's about as good as you can get and keeping it under 2000 rpm's is easy.

But when towing our 3000 pound plus camping trailer the F-37 is much better.

I just wish there was a switch to move back and forth instead of changing them but since I now have a Silverado for towing the pre f-37 is in all the time.

Joe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:30 pm 
LOST Addict

I just grabbed a 56029053AE off ebay for $50. For that price if figured it was worth a try to get some better MPG's. The only issue i foresee is that the fiance drives the jeep a few times a week when we car pool and may have a hard time.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:37 pm 
LOST Member

mass-hole wrote:
I just grabbed a 56029053AE off ebay for $50. For that price if figured it was worth a try to get some better MPG's. The only issue i foresee is that the fiance drives the jeep a few times a week when we car pool and may have a hard time.

I did get a mile or 2 better mpg, but for me risking tearing up my stock tranny or torque converter (while it was lugging) wasn't worth the extra mile or two of mpg's.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:18 pm 
LOST Addict

Dennis MacGyver wrote:
mass-hole wrote:

I did get a mile or 2 better mpg, but for me risking tearing up my stock tranny or torque converter (while it was lugging) wasn't worth the extra mile or two of mpg's.

I'm already running GDE's Hot tune on a completely stock transmission and havent heard a peep out of it. My jeep was a late November 2005 build so I think it got the updated(not euro) TC from the factory and it seems to be holding up no problem. If the TCM does give me issues then i will pull it out.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for your posts everyone. I ended up getting a Ram TCM off ebay for $50. I love the improved shifting. Anyone that has a f37 done to their crd should do this mod. I recently installed a euro spec. torque converter, a new front pump, and transgo shift kit in the tranney so my drivetrain is set up pretty well. If your drivetrain is set up correctly I highly recommend this mod!!! Don't think just do it!!! You won't be disappointed.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Anyone shocked by the current eBay pricing on the 5.7L TCM ?

Or, even surprised?

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:10 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Something's been nagging at my mind since reading this thread, finally triggered a recall: the RAM and GC TCM both require a hard-wired input that the CRD TCM gets off the PCI bus, namely the Vehicle Speed Sensor input - this can be pulled from the Body Control Module, Antilock Brake Module, and the large firewall connector - the wire is Dark Green with Yellow stripe DG\Y and needs to be wired to TCM pin 28, which is now blank - anybody address this requirement, yet?

Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

gmctd wrote:
Something's been nagging at my mind since reading this thread, finally triggered a recall: the RAM and GC TCM both require a hard-wired input that the CRD TCM gets off the PCI bus, namely the Vehicle Speed Sensor input - this can be pulled from the Body Control Module, Antilock Brake Module, and the large firewall connector - the wire is Dark Green with Yellow stripe DG\Y and needs to be wired to TCM pin 28, which is now blank - anybody address this requirement, yet?

Can you remember the point of that connection? I've just installed in my 2005 KJ, and it all seems to be ok. If that wire is essential, I'll do that asap.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:40 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The Vehicle Speed Signal VSS is generated within the Antilock Brake Module ABM off the Rear Wheel Speed Sensor, and is outputted on pin 3, which has no wire because not needed in the KJ system - add a wire from ABS module pin 3 to RAM TCM P56029053AD\E connector pin 28 - best to get required wiring\pins from donor vehicle in bone yard -
problem will be the ABS and TCM on GC's and RAM's are both on driver-side fender, but the KJ TCM is on passenger-side
fender - VSS wire in KJ is dark green with yellow stripe but RAM is white with orange stripe, so I had to punt: used a
light green with white stripe from the speed sensor connector on a donor vehicle wiring harness to get enuff length and still maintain approx color scheme for future considerations

Also the Pinion Factor will need setting on a new or refurbished TCM, or verified on a used replacement from a 'nuther vehicle

Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:24 am 
LOST Member

I installed a RAM TCM today and was having issues with it. The biggest issue was with reverse, when shifting to reverse, it would act like it was in neutral and do nothing until I revved the engine to 1,000 rpm. After reaching 1,000 rpm the would engage and grab real hard. All other gears seem to work fine. Transmission fluid level is good. When I reinstalled the original TCM reverse worked fine. I wonder if my unit was damaged? (Purchased from local wrecking yard).Would anyone be interested in installing/testing this TCM? I can ship it. I guess I will have to try my 2001 Grand Cherokee with a 4.7 TCM soon.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:36 pm 
LOST Addict

I just installed mine today and it seemed to work pretty good out of the box in terms of shifting what not.

It does keep the RPM's much lower, it seems to engage locked - 5th at 45mph, but it is ultra touchy and will pretty quickly downshift as soon as I start climbing a hill. If I maintain low enough throttle to keep it locked in 5th it loses a lot of speed on the hills around here.

The other thing I have found is that it seems to hang in first gear longer than I would like. It will go well past 2000 rpms and even up to 3000 rpms if I do not lift off the throttle @ 2000. And this is with very mild acceleration, its not like i'm stomping on it.

It will kick up a gear if you just do a quick lift off the throttle and you can get it to shift when you want(up to a point). So far its fine, I will keep driving it and see if it learns a little more.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:28 pm 
LOST Addict

mass-hole wrote:
I just installed mine today and it seemed to work pretty good out of the box in terms of shifting what not.

It does keep the RPM's much lower, it seems to engage locked - 5th at 45mph, but it is ultra touchy and will pretty quickly downshift as soon as I start climbing a hill. If I maintain low enough throttle to keep it locked in 5th it loses a lot of speed on the hills around here.

The other thing I have found is that it seems to hang in first gear longer than I would like. It will go well past 2000 rpms and even up to 3000 rpms if I do not lift off the throttle @ 2000. And this is with very mild acceleration, its not like i'm stomping on it.

It will kick up a gear if you just do a quick lift off the throttle and you can get it to shift when you want(up to a point). So far its fine, I will keep driving it and see if it learns a little more.

Oh, one other thing i have noticed is that the ram tcm is MUCH smoother on the kick down to 2nd and 1st when I am manually downshifting. I tend to engine brake a lot, especially towing. The stock F-37 TCM would pause for like 5 seconds, during which time the jeep would be free wheeling, and then it would slam into 2nd. I've had my tires chirp doing this. The ram TCM is quick and fluid and causes no drama what-so-ever.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:06 pm 
LOST Junkie

It also runs the transmission at a higber pressure so if you do have an upgraded TC and Trans Pump, you might get some hammering of the pump

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:55 am 
LOST Addict

So far I have seen no improvement in MPG's with this tcm, in fact i feel like i struggle to achieve what I was with the F-37 tcm. Yes it does lock up much earlier but in my case I typically either drive below 40mph(city, getting to the highway) or above 65mph(on the highway) which pretty much negates the advantages of the low 4th and 5th gear lockup. Additionally, the ram TCM may try to lower the RPMs on light throttle but is much more willing to downshift, I find that when I do get up to speed on back roads all it takes is one hill and its jumping out of TC lockup either because I couldn't maintain enough speed up the hill or had to push the throttle down too far in the attempt to maintain speed.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:25 pm 
LOST Newbie

I picked up a Ram TCM a few weeks ago and pretty much concur with what others are saying. It has shown me how much I hate the F37 flash. I really like the how it shifts quickly into 5th and locks up the converter as well as the firm and responsive shifts. I could live with the higher RPM from 1st-2nd as well as the inability to use full throttle if it was just myself driving...however I am very hesitant to let somebody else drive this without them understanding how this TCM works. It is just too easy to be heavy on the pedal and rev it over 4000 RPM's. I am pretty sure I am going to send my F37 TCM to GDE to be programmed and will put this one up for sale in the next week or so in case anybody is looking to buy one.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:11 am 
LOST Addict

f5hunter wrote:
I picked up a Ram TCM a few weeks ago and pretty much concur with what others are saying. It has shown me how much I hate the F37 flash. I really like the how it shifts quickly into 5th and locks up the converter as well as the firm and responsive shifts. I could live with the higher RPM from 1st-2nd as well as the inability to use full throttle if it was just myself driving...however I am very hesitant to let somebody else drive this without them understanding how this TCM works. It is just too easy to be heavy on the pedal and rev it over 4000 RPM's. I am pretty sure I am going to send my F37 TCM to GDE to be programmed and will put this one up for sale in the next week or so in case anybody is looking to buy one.

I got my TCM flashed a month ago to the GDE Eco tune and its quite a bit better than the Ram setup. They fixed the hard downshift when you turn O/D off or manually select 2nd which is nice, its a nice smooth shift now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:56 am 
LOST Member

f5hunter wrote:

GDE can tune the Ram TCM to work with your CRD. Last year, I purchased a 2003 Ram TCM and a spare 2006 CRD TCM. I sent both of them to GDE. I sent the Ram TCM for Keith to retain and experiment with and the CRD ECM for an ECO tune. I am currently running the GDE ECO TCM tune and am very pleased with it. Keith has since loaded the CRD ECO tune in the Ram TCM and tested it in their CRD. He has told me (via email) that the Ram TCM took the ECO tune and works in the CRD without issue.

Personally, I would have the Ram TCM tuned and keep the CRD ECM as a spare. I kept my original CRD TCM as a spare.

GDE FT ECO tune, GDE TCM ECO tune, ARP studs, HDS-001 203F T-Stat, 3.7L nylon fan & Hayden 2905 clutch, Carter P76148M in-tank pump, Racor 245R122 filter head & 2 micron R25S fuel filter, Provent 200, Samcos, Fumoto F-102, Litens 920834A de-coupler, PML rear diff cover, OEM trans pan with welded in bung, JBA UCAs, full skids.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

95Z28A4 wrote:
GDE can tune the Ram TCM to work with your CRD. Last year, I purchased a 2003 Ram TCM and a spare 2006 CRD TCM. I sent both of them to GDE. I sent the Ram TCM for Keith to retain and experiment with and the CRD ECM for an ECO tune. I am currently running the GDE ECO TCM tune and am very pleased with it. Keith has since loaded the CRD ECO tune in the Ram TCM and tested it in their CRD. He has told me (via email) that the Ram TCM took the ECO tune and works in the CRD without issue.

Personally, I would have the Ram TCM tuned and keep the CRD ECM as a spare. I kept my original CRD TCM as a spare.

Thanks for the info!! Now I gotta decide which route to take...I very rarely tow, but does the ECO TCM tune tow ok??

And thanks Mass-hole for the recommendation and update info.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:06 pm 

95Z28A4 wrote:

Anyone know the year model spread on the Ram TMC's that can be reprogrammed and used in the Jeep CRDs??? :?:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next