It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SOLVED Something is humming and slowing my Jeep SOLVED!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:32 pm 
LOST Junkie

Problem:
A few weeks ago I started to notice a humming or subtle grinding noise from the front of my Jeep that reminded me of the three times in my life when I've had a wheel bearing go out on different vehicles. It has also had a little bit of a "drag" feeling to it. My gas pedal was also vibrating more than I've ever noticed before too. When it's running in park, I do not hear these noises or feel this vibration.

Attempt at a solution:
I took it in to trusted mechanic today and sure enough they said a front bearing was showing a lot of play. They also replaced all of the pads and rotors and lubed my rear U-Joints after telling me they looked good. (By the way, I seem to have to replace my rotors and pads every 35k. That seems like a lot)

My question:
I drove it home tonight and it's still humming/rubbing/vibrating, and the pedal still vibrates while driving. I've had this Jeep since new, and it just feels like something is holding it back while in drive. As soon as I let off the gas, it slows down and the whole time it hums. It's not LOUD, but it's something that wasn't there before a few weeks ago.

I'm starting to suspect something with my transmission. I just had my trans fluid changed with the filters for the first time ever at 110k, and I just got the new GDE FT ECO Tune and TCM tune. When I drove home tonight, I slowed to about 15 MPH and shifted into neutral (I hope this isn't bad for the trans). It seemed like the vibration went away and the "drag" was removed. The gas pedal was also smooth. When I switched back and forth while rolling at 10-15 mph there was a noticeable difference. I also noticed a little "swish" sound while in Drive. Is there any problem with the trans that could explain this? Could it be a bent rear drive shaft? Does it stop spinning in Neutral? Could it be my GDE TCM tune?

Any advice would be nice.

Build Date 1/05
200k miles.
Original Owner

Last edited by Big Montana on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Something is humming and slowing my Jeep
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:01 am 
LOST Junkie

What about a bad motor mount? Would that cause a drive line vibration that goes away when the vehicle is put in neutral?

Build Date 1/05
200k miles.
Original Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:37 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Random thoughts:
1. motor mounts - per GDE to diagnose "Put your foot on the brake and put in in gear if your vibrations are worse in drive then it is your passenger side mount if it is worse in reverse it is you driver's side"
2. CV joints
3. "U" joints - FYI unless you or a previous owner has replaced the "U" joints with aftermarket ones that have a grease fitting your mechanic did not lube the "U" joints as the OEM "U" joints have no grease fitting. Note also that several members have found that the "U" joints cannot be adequately inspected while on the vehicle; rather the shaft(s) with "U" joints have to be dropped to check in which case some "U" joints that looked fine on the vehicle were found to be bone dry with not much more than dust for needle bearings.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:12 am 
LOST Junkie

It must not be to engine mount then, because there is no vibration while at a stop.

I replaced the u-joints two years ago with greasable ones. I have since only remembered to grease them once... that was yesterday when I told the shop to do it. He told me they were fine, but I'm starting to wonder if I should just pull them again and throw on something else that doesn't require the idiot owner to remember them.

I had a bent rear drive shaft years ago that was replaced by the dealer after I had a vibration during slow driving. I bent it pulling someone out on ice and snow. That's what they told me any way. I may have just had bad u-joint, and they replaced the whole thing under warranty for my deductible.

This vibration feels a little different though. I'm going to check the fluid in all of my diffs and the transfer case. Has anyone had a rear axle go out? I've noticed that when I come to stops I feel like the rear end cinches up a little bit. When I release the brake to go, I feel like the back drops a little bit and there's a slight clunk as I hit the gas. I suppose that could be an indication of u-joints.

Build Date 1/05
200k miles.
Original Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:19 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

That rear end thing might be the slip joint which I think refers to the one in the drive shaft. I know there has been some discussion that binding in this joint can cause odd clunks and such on stops and starts. Don't right now have a link to one of the posts but the fix seems to be drop the shaft and clean/grease the joint.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:42 pm 
LOST Junkie

I just drove again today, and I feel like the brakes are on as I drive. There is no pull to one side though. I wonder if I just got a bad bearing. It still hums and seems to slow down too quickly when I let off the throttle. Smooth my ride is not.

Build Date 1/05
200k miles.
Original Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:31 pm 
LOST Addict

Dragging brakes are a common KJ problem. Get the brakes nice and warm, then immediately jack up and check for brake drag, before they cool off. It can be the flex lines collapsing internally when hot, pistons that do not retract properly, binding sliders or some combination of these. Search my posts for details.

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:15 pm 
LOST Junkie

I'm going to check my mount this weekend, but now I feel the vibration in park when I hit the gas. I'm starting to think engine. I just had the timing belt replaced, and if you recall my past post about them breaking the belt while trying to line up the locks. I'm wondering if there could be something off behind the timing belt cover. He also failed to replace the pulleys and tensioner, so now that the new belt is adding new tension, I suppose there could be failing pulleys. This is fun.
I had the shop check the bearings and both drive shafts again and they claim they're fine.

Build Date 1/05
200k miles.
Original Owner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

could it be stuck in 4 wheel drive and wound up the transmission just a thought we get this with landrovers and we have to put in reverse and go back for 20 yards to get it right

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:10 pm 
LOST Junkie

I wonder if it's unrelated to the engine - perhaps one of the u-joints?

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:07 pm 
LOST Junkie

So an update...

I had the Jeep worked over pretty good... I think they did anyway. And they have come to the conclusion that my rear upper control arm is bad. They wanted $575 to replace it, but I'm still wondering if that is the cause.

I get a constant vibration that seems to match the velocity of the vehicle. It still has
I've noticed that it makes a funny creaking noise from the rear when I back it up in the morning. I suspect that this could be the bushings of the arm.
I get a hard clunk sometimes when I'm rolling up to a red light and I hit the gas to accelerate once the light changes.

I've JUST had the lower rear control arms replaced with the recall.
I JUST got the FT Eco tune and ECU tune.
I've already replaced all of the brakes and had the bearings, both drive shafts, and the U-joints checked.

I guess the problem would be that the axle is curling back as I accelerate and the angle of the U-Joint is changing to the point that is causes a vibration.

My problem with this theory is that the sound doesn't change when I remove my foot from the gas pedal. I feel like removing the power from the engine would at lease lessen the angle a little. Perhaps our engine puts out enough power even with no throttle to keep the axle twisted back. That could explain the clunk after I accelerate while coasting toward a stop.

Has anyone changed the rear upper control arm for a problem like this?

Build Date 1/05
200k miles.
Original Owner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:25 pm 
LOST Junkie

I'm inclined to believe them. Good news is you can change it yourself - it's not difficult, if you are handy at all with the standard tools.

I will be doing the same R&R soon. I did it once before, but transmission hard-shifts started breaking down the new one before I figured out the cause... :(

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:32 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

$575 seems a bit steep for a part that's under $200, unless you go aftermarket heavy duty, and what looks like 1hr labor but sometimes your time is worth more to you. This may solve your problem but per my earler post have you greased that slip joint?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:19 pm 
LOST Junkie

papaindigo wrote:
$575 seems a bit steep for a part that's under $200, unless you go aftermarket heavy duty, and what looks like 1hr labor but sometimes your time is worth more to you. This may solve your problem but per my earler post have you greased that slip joint?

Papainigo: No I completely forgot that. I didn't even remember what you were talking about, and I just had to read about the Yoke. I will check that immediately. Thanks sir. I really hope that's it. I even hear a little creak when I move in the mornings or right after work when it's cold.

Build Date 1/05
200k miles.
Original Owner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Greasing that joint probably won't address your vibration issue but based on other chats it may fix "I've noticed that it makes a funny creaking noise from the rear when I back it up in the morning. I suspect that this could be the bushings of the arm. I get a hard clunk sometimes when I'm rolling up to a red light and I hit the gas to accelerate once the light changes."

If not looking into that rear upper arm is worth the effort. Shouldn't be too hard to inspect even if you have to drop it off the vehicle to take a good look. If it's bad I'd be inclined to replace as a unit rather than mess with the replaceable parts.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:49 am 
LOST Newbie

Any update?

I am having the same humming noise.
I initially thought it was just the diesel thing (not only am I Jeep noob but a diesel on top haha).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:25 pm 
LOST Member

I have the humming sound when I accelerate and when I let off, it stops no matter the speed. I just replaced the rear u joint and the clunk is gone for now. I also replaced the rear axle seal/bearing with timkin bearing kits. put 80/90 dino oil back in rear end. still have hum. Almost think it could be tire hum. I might put back the uniroyal's to see if it still does it.

265 70r 16
SC Bumper
Glass Pack
Provent
Dodge 2500 in tank Lift pump
Samco Hoses
Rocky Road UCA
Transgo shift kit
Updated torque converter
Weeks Kit 1 & 2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

i think the rear upper control arm was recalled on 05's for excessive rust issues, ?maybe im thinking wrong?, but if there was a wore out ball joint on the arm would that allow for play so the axle would roll a tiny bit and make a thud when coming to a stop? im not a mechanic so maybe this is worthless garbage, but maybe it will help someone in the know think of something.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:36 am 
LOST Junkie

Well, I don't have much to update though I think it's getting worse. When I first put the vehicle in reverse or drive after sitting cold (or getting a car wash) there is a creaking sound while I begin to roll forward or backward. "creak, creak, creak, creak." Something is binding up. I can't isolate where it's coming from though. I removed the front drive shaft because I rebuilt that myself with a kit, and I wasn't sure if that was messed up. I feel less of a vibration in the gas pedal and steering wheel, but the Jeep still seems to have a drag and the noise is still there. I think I made it mad because driving home yesterday was louder. If I hit the gas from a full stop and take off, the noise seems more pronounces than if I just slowly roll forward with little gas. I think the vibration and loud humming noise is just the creaking sound at a quicker velocity. If I can find what's rubbing, I can fix it. I put the Jeep in neutral from 40 mph and it didn't change the sound one bit. I coasted all the way to a stop and the sound matches the velocity of the wheels. I would have thought if the noise is caused by the bad upper control arm and tilt to the axle that the noise would have changed without pressure from the drive train.

It doesn't seem to be the brakes. The noise does seem to change a tiny bit when I hit them, but it doesn't change if I simply let up off the gas pedal. My next step us to replace the rear U-joints and grease the slip yoke, and then after that look into replacing the upper control arm. The recall was only on the lower control arm I though. I had that done right before the noise started. It would seem like there is a connection, but I didn't notice the noise the day I picked it up from the dealership. If it had I would have noticed it and driven right back in. It has developed since then though, so perhaps the UPPER control arm is compromised by the new lowers.

It's a fun project an by that I mean my daily driver that can't go down or I'm screwed.

Build Date 1/05
200k miles.
Original Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:10 pm 
LOST Junkie

check the yokes, and while you are doing that check the U joints even though they have been replaced relatively recently.

Then I would check the transfer case cable and make sure that it is moving freely and that it shifts the transfer case properly, that is, the handle position agrees with the dash indicator.

A dragging brake is another good candidate, especially a rear. How long has that brake fluid been in there, anyway? A brake flush is always good PM; I do mine every 18 months.

2005 Liberty CRD- ARP studs, Fumoto, Hayden FC, inline Tstat, ETechno 7v GP, Platinum P1, in-tank lift pump.
1983 Volvo D24T
1981 Volvo D24
Dodge Cummins TD
Case 580B
Mitsubishi MT180 diesel
Kubota BX25 diesel