It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2006 Liberty Limited CRD - TPMS?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

I know this is a basic question, I have searched but I would like a definitive answer. Does my 2006 Liberty Limited CRD with EVIC have the tire pressure monitor sensors? I'm considering to purchase a set of winter tires and steel rims, but from what I understand the TPMS units are not compatible with all steel rims.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

This is what Id try.(but I dont have evic)Turn the key on do not start engine. Look at you dash if you have the flat tire icon then you have TPMS. Check owners manual if you have one.

Post subject: Re: 2006 Liberty Limited CRD - TPMS?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have an '06 Limited CRD and have the TPMS. I get notified when my tire pressure is low on the EVIC "Low Tire Pressure"

Other than that, I don't know if there is an incompatibility with steel rims. You'd think tire pressure is uniform and not rim composition dependent. :ALONE:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:20 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The owners manual implies all 06s had TPMS; it's less clear for 05 models. In either case your EVIC may or may not display tire pressure but if one is low I suspect the EVIC will display a message of some sort; you could deliberately lower pressure in one tire to find out but only at a location where you can add pressure back.

Based on a quick Google check I don't see any suggestion TPMS won't work with steel rims but of course you will need sending units in each tire. Best bet for a decent price is the Dorman aftermarket ones from like Amazon or RockAuto for like $25@. IIRC the system is self calebrates (e.g. just install the TMPS stem with battery; mount tire; drive for a bit and the system should recognize the new sensors - repeat when you remount OEM Al rims)

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:07 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Clumsy.
US 2006 Liberties came with TPMS on all 5 wheels. There are two different systems. One for vehicles with EVIC and one for those without. The sensors in the wheels are the same. The spare is monitored too so you can't skimp out with just 4. Some older systems required a magnet and a vido dance to calibrate things but as papa said these are self calibrating.
I don't have an EVIC so can't say for sure but I believe you can get the air pressure for each tire by pushing buttons :SOMBRERO:

You can also look at the valve stems. If they have a hex nut shaped piece by the wheel that's the sensor. Being that a 06 is 6 years old unless your the original owner it's possible it's been previously been disabled.

Now I have a question :BANANA:
Where do you live that a set of good all weather tires such as BFL LongTrail T/A wouldn't be a good choice for all year along?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:46 am 
LOST Junkie

There are also 2 evic versions of the TPMS. One shows individual tire pressures on the evic, the other does not, but gives a generic low pressure warning and idiot light chime off the dash.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Provent @ 43,000 km
SEGR in progress
SAMCO Sport hoses @ 48500 km
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:42 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the help folks, I checked the dash by turning the key to the on position but not cranking the starter and I do notice the TPMS icon. I checked the owners manual and I apparently have TPMS.

I am considering buying a used set of winter tires mounted on steel rims that do not have the sensors attached. Presumably, to install new sensors I would need to buy the sensors and have the tires remounted. If I were to run the tires without TPMS would I only be annoyed by the dash icon or would I also receive chimes and warnings constantly?

I live in Canada and all my cars run both summer and winter tires.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:10 am 
LOST Newbie

WolverineFW wrote:
There are also 2 evic versions of the TPMS. One shows individual tire pressures on the evic, the other does not, but gives a generic low pressure warning and idiot light chime off the dash.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

I've got the second flavor. Just a chime and low tire pressure, the stealership told me it was expensive to replace the TPMS on one wheel, if IIRC over $100 partly because of the need for "calibration." Didn't get it done, but mysteriously it was repaired along with the oil pan they replace after stripping the drain plug (but that's another story). :goink:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:19 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Given my location I won't comment on running summer/winter tires for obvious reasons. Assuming that's a good idea you probably should go ahead and install sensors (ca. $25 per sensor +$10 install) or you will be nagged by the light, no problem, AND a chime every 5 minutes or so (at least when stoutdog had a TPMS sensor die the chime nagged him constantly).

PS re. jkbkwarner's comment. The normal price for a TPMS sensor at a dealer and many independent places is a total ripoff on the order of $80+, in some cases $80+ just for the sensor and anyone who charges "extra" for calibration 1) doesn't know our system is self calibrating and 2) is ripping folks off for what takes mere seconds with a magnet. The best price I've found for a perfectly good aftermarket sensor that will self program is the Dorman 974-001 - $24 Amazon, $31 Summit Racing. FYI the average life of a TPMS sensor battery is 7 years with a range from 5-12 years.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

papaindigo wrote:
I've found for a perfectly good aftermarket sensor that will self program is the Dorman 974-001 - $24 Amazon, $31 Summit Racing.

So this is $24 EACH ... one would have to order at least 4 of these.
http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-Solutions- ... an+974-001

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:03 am 
LOST Addict

I had one go bad because the valve stem cracked and it leaked slowly. It happened to be the spare. My EVIC told me the spare was low but not any tire pressures. I needed some more air in one other tire before and it only indicated the location. I wish mine did show tire pressures.

I did get a doorman sensor to replace the broken one from rock auto, the tire shop wanted $50 for one. so when I took the Doorman one in to be fixed up in the wheel he liked how it was designed better than the oem one with the Dooman ones the valve stem can be changed if needed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:55 am 
LOST Newbie

Be careful ! USA version working on 315 Mhz and part type is DORMAN 974-001. Europe version working on 433 Mhz and part type is DORMAN 974-002. For Canada check on old sensor. There is mark for Mhz.

'09 Jeep Patriot 2.0 CRD

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:48 pm 
LOST Newbie

Follow-up on this thread ... i bought the Dorman 974-001 sensors from Amazon. I also bought a 2nd set of 16" Liberty stock rims. I'm getting winter tires installed in the next few days on these rims.

When I swap rims do I need to do anything special to have the TPMS "pair" or connect with the Jeep? I saw a reference in another post that it should just "pick them up" after driving a few miles. Is that true? Is there a procedure that enables the jeep to read the new TPMS sensors?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

System is self learning no need to play with magnets or anything else. Another place where the FSM is wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:35 pm 
LOST Member

papaindigo wrote:
The owners manual implies all 06s had TPMS; it's less clear for 05 models.

I can't address the '05 models, but in '06 only the Renegade and the Limited have TPMS as standard equipment.
It wasn't even an option in the Sport (CRD or gas).
My Sport definitely does not have it, as I have changed the tires myself.

TPMS wasn't "required equipment" until the '08 model year (or specifically, "models produced after September 2007").

linewarbr put this up a while ago if you want to see the options matrix from the sales brochure:
viewtopic.php?p=597691#p597691

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:26 am 
LOST Member

On my '06 I installed 5 new Tire Pressure Monitors after installed my Moab wheels and and had to go to the dealer and have the spare manually programmed with a Starscan as I got a steady TPMS light in the dash indicating that something was not working.

After my trip to the dealer no more light!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:59 am 
LOST Newbie

Final followup on this thread.

I had the Dorman TPMS sensors installed on my extra set of KJ rims and a fresh set of Hankook RW11 winter tires. On the first drive, the TPMS indicator did not come on at all. I drove for about 10 minutes over 15mph on the way home and from what I understand from the Dorman instructions, this allows the sensors to connect.

Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:08 pm 
LOST Member

did you just do the four on the ground or did you also include the spare tire?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I screwed up my factory sensor in the spare and installed this Dorman, it still says spare low even after a ride over 10 minutes long with no stopping? DORMAN Part # 974001, could it be I got a bad sensor? I filled the tire to 33PSI? Maybe the tire needs to spin?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:40 pm 
LOST Addict

From what I remember, all cars sold in us 2005+ have tpms. Even a cheap Hyundai accent or ford focus. It's part of "fuel efficiency" commitment, lol.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.