It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cure for Road Crape & Bugs in airfilter
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:34 am 
LOST Addict

If you want to stop about 90% of the bugs, gravel and general crap from entering the air box it is easy to do. All you need is about a one square foot piece of the door/window screen material from you local hardware store. I had a whole role and cut a 10 inch round piece, pulled out the tube that enterys the air box from the front, slipped the screen over the end of the tube and reinstalled. You can use a large zip tie and secure it around the the excess that sticks out around the tube. It takes longer to cut the screen then do the install, and it still is only a 5 minute job. Removing the screen is just as easy if not easier, allowing for easy cleaning when needed.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:29 pm 
LOST Member

sounds like a good idea. do you have a picture?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:13 pm 
LOST Member

Ripple wrote:

x2

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:45 pm 
LOST Addict

longarm wrote:
Ripple wrote:

x2
Picture??? :roll:

Man just cut a circle out of some door/widow screen using a 10" dinner plate for a guide and then stick it over the tube and then shove the tube back into the airbox. You can us a zip tie to neaten it up if you want. This will keep about 90% of trash out of the air box, just as it did on my wife's VW Jetta diesel.

Will do pictures later in a couple days when I get done with another mod that will need pictues.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:55 pm 
LOST Addict

Think this will/can be plugged with snow/ice??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:13 pm 
LOST Addict

Why not just put a screen over the entire radiator opening? That way you can block all bugs and debris from entering anything. If it plugs with ice you just get hot and will know it. The plugged intake you might not know until it's too late. It will pull air from somewhere and could get ugly fast!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:15 pm 
LOST Addict

onthehunt wrote:
Think this will/can be plugged with snow/ice??
Anything is possible, but I really doubt it unless you drive into a snowbank. VW has had them in their car for years, they call them snow screens and put them in some of the worst places to get at to clean the bugs and trash out.

In this area I am mainly concerned with bugs, sand and things like beans, corn, rice and cotton being sucked into airbox. This just takes about 30 seconds to remove and replace, no tools required unless you ziptie it for some reason. You could buy enough to have a couple of spares and if traveling across country and it needs changing, just swap them out and throw the dirty one away or you could clean it to reuse next time. I gave $7 for a role that would probably make a hundred of these things or more.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:34 pm 
LOST Addict

onthehunt wrote:
Why not just put a screen over the entire radiator opening? That way you can block all bugs and debris from entering anything. If it plugs with ice you just get hot and will know it. The plugged intake you might not know until it's too late. It will pull air from somewhere and could get ugly fast!
Man that was the project I was talking about doing this week.

You just pop out the grill and flip nit over to remove the black insert in behind, and cut the screen oversized with two slits for the two tabs and then with help of wife press the black grill insert back on and it will hold the screen nice and tight. Only tool required is someting to cut the screen with before starting the install. Now one of you guys get it done right quick before I can and take pictures so I don't have to do that part. I did this for another car a couple years ago, worked fine and the screen cleaned just by passing the wash wand over the grill at the car wash.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:20 pm 
LOST Member

Quote:
In this area I am mainly concerned with bugs, sand and things like beans, corn, rice and cotton being sucked into airbox

Old Navy,
Where the heck are you driving to be concerned about beans, corn and rice?

Quote:
VW has had them in their car for years, they call them snow screens and put them in some of the worst places to get at to clean the bugs and trash out.

That screen was the first thing I ripped out of my TDI. It really restricted airflow.

Allen

2005 Toyota Tundra V8 4X4 TRD (ebay baby!!)

1984 Jeep CJ7 (Toy)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:57 pm 
LOST Addict

fireman1028 wrote:
Quote:
In this area I am mainly concerned with bugs, sand and things like beans, corn, rice and cotton being sucked into airbox

Old Navy,
Where the heck are you driving to be concerned about beans, corn and rice?

Quote:
VW has had them in their car for years, they call them snow screens and put them in some of the worst places to get at to clean the bugs and trash out.

That screen was the first thing I ripped out of my TDI. It really restricted airflow.

Allen
We grow more rice here in SE MO than China, Soybean is even bigger in MO and that's why we have two new soybean to diesel plants being built at present to help the out put of the ones we already have, they grow a lot of corn here for a rotation crop and most of it is not for human comsumpsion. The amount of cotton grown has slacked off in favor of rice by a lot of farmers, but there is still enough cotton balls in the road from harvest time as to sometimes play heck with cooling systems or filters on ocassions.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:27 pm 
LOST Member

I can understand the cotton, but unless you are doing a Thelma & Louise, I hope corn wouldn't be an issue. :roll:

2005 Toyota Tundra V8 4X4 TRD (ebay baby!!)

1984 Jeep CJ7 (Toy)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:39 pm 
LOST Addict

fireman1028 wrote:
I can understand the cotton, but unless you are doing a Thelma & Louise, I hope corn wouldn't be an issue. :roll:
Ever seen about 10 bushels of corn fall off a truck and then between the falling and hitting the pavement at 60 mph, then parts of corn cobbs and kerrnels of corn go flying about the time a truck passes going the other direction and it sounds like you just got hit with blast of #4's from a 12 gage shotgun. :shock:

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

oldnavy wrote:
onthehunt wrote:
Man that was the project I was talking about doing this week.

You just pop out the grill and flip nit over to remove the black insert in behind, and cut the screen oversized with two slits for the two tabs and then with help of wife press the black grill insert back on and it will hold the screen nice and tight. Only tool required is someting to cut the screen with before starting the install. Now one of you guys get it done right quick before I can and take pictures so I don't have to do that part. I did this for another car a couple years ago, worked fine and the screen cleaned just by passing the wash wand over the grill at the car wash.

hey oldnavy, jus wondering if you ever did this mod?

other mods coming soon...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:49 pm 
LOST Addict

Not yet, been too rapped up with small home remodeling and the CCV for the CRD and all kinds of other crap. I did put the screen over the tube where it enters the air box from the front. Maybe I will get to it this weekend.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:35 pm 
LOST Addict

Ok, both mods are done and so far seem to work fine. No problems as yet from the mod. Will try to get pictures this weekend sometime, hopefully first thing in the AM. I want a before picture with the screen clean and after a bug run across the rice and bean farms.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:33 am 
LOST Addict

Just cut a 10" circle form window screen wire and fold over the intake tube then sholve intake tube back into the airbox. It works great and you can leave the tube sucking cool air from front of the radiator like it was designed to without all the trash. Took about 10 minutes & $0.50 worth of material and takes about 5 minutes or less to remove, clean, and reinstall.

This mod took about two hours and about $2 worth of screen wire and 3 packs of Krazy Glue. I laid the wire across the grill after poping out the black setion and then applied the super glue t corners to hold in place. then I cut the wire between the panels and then trimed the excess wire and then finished glueing the wire to grill back. Then when dry I reinstalled the blach portion of grill, then reinstalled in Jeep. The one thing to remember is leave a small amount of slack for reinstall of inner grill.

So far it works great and no increase in engine temp, will try it out this weekend sometime on the road across bug & crap alley. Will take after pictures.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:02 pm 
LOST Addict

These are pic's of mosquito's after a run through bug ally, the big stuff was not out due to rain. The mosquito's were as you can see, out in force thanks to rice fields. Nothing got passed the screen and into airbox or even to the screen in airbox tube.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine