It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: exhaust leaking out rear injector
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:23 pm 
LOST Member

Glad to hear that things went well. Congratulations!

Too, it sounds like a bit of patience was required for injector and related hardware egress and ingress.

I have to agree about the engine. I too have been most impressed with my CRD and it's abilities on road and off.

#1 Liberty: '05 CRD Limited Stone White
(SOLD Dec. 2013)
#2 Liberty: ???
"Why guess when you can know?"- Carroll Smith

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:01 am 
LOST Newbie

Nice one :D

S

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:07 pm 
LOST Newbie

I had what I thought was a lifter issue by the sound of it and it turned out to be injector seals on the back two injectors. So to validate what I thought was the second injector seal, I started the engine up cold, I got my garden hose out and just ran water along the entire area around the injectors. It ended up being the back two injectors that were blowing exhaust out bubbling the blowing the water. After that, I drove it around to evaporate all of the remaining water off from around the injector area and got the engine nice and toasty for about 30 minutes. I then came back, pulled in the garage and saturated all of the injectors with WD40 to allow it pull in the WD around the injectors while it was still toasty to suck it in when it starts to cool down. Once I let the Liberty cool down and set for a few days, I started to unhook the electrical going to the injectors, the returns, then cracked the first injector line in case there was still some pressure on the rail. To my surprise, there was no pressure, but I still took all of the necessary precautions. I ended up disconnecting the lines at the rail instead of at the injector as I was able to use it as leverage to help pull them out. Finally got them all pulled out after a good 2 hours, the back two injector seals were just plain gone...Took all of the injectors to a local shop to have them tested, three were marginal (if that), the fourth was shot. I think I was getting 58-63 between the pulsed rates for all of them where the spec stated it should be 83. There was something else that was bad on the one injector that was way out of tolererance. Rather than slapping in a mix match of injectors, I ordered a set of injectors from a company called International Fuel Systems in Toledo, OH. Reasonably priced ($309) each for remans. To clean out the carbon from where the injectors were and all of the crap, I hooked up a cheap 1/2" hose to my shopvac and duct-taped it tight. I put the 1/2" tube down the injector seat area and got a 1/4" tubular brass brush and ran the shopvac constantly to suck up the carbon while I cleaned the injector seat area with the brash brush. Two of my washers that initially didn't come out when I pulled injectors, I was able to suck them out with that 1/2" hose. Once I got as much scrubbed sucked out as I could, I then pulled the hose out and wrapped up the same brush with some rags (old T-shirt) and saturated it with carb cleaner to clean out the seat housing.

That is about where I am at this time. Injectors that I ordered should be received at that place tomorrow and figured I'd contribute my experience for anyone else out there that may be running into injector replacement. Only thing I'm curious is if I need to contact GDE or the dealer to have the new injectors remapped to the ECU.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:04 pm 
LOST Addict

I have pulled cleaned replaced injectors several times but have always been able to reuse the originals. I have read on here that the injectors when changed do need to be remapped to the ecu though I am not exactly clear why maybe they have a little different resistance etc that would need calibration to the ECU. Between the dealer and GDE there would be no decision to make. GDE hands down. Quick, exact, courteous, expert , reasonably priced service from someone that has experience and knows not just should know.

I would email Keith at GDE and ask him. You can call them also but may have to leave a message but they will call back.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:57 pm 
LOST Member

TKB4 wrote:
I have read on here that the injectors when changed do need to be remapped to the ecu though I am not exactly clear why maybe they have a little different resistance etc that would need calibration to the ECU.
A little different flow rate from injector to injector. That's the reason iirc.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

Yes, indeed...just got the ECM back from Green Diesel to have them put the new injectors codes in. Happy and sad at the same time. No more coal rolling - sad, better fuel economy and no smoke, better MPG - happy! All is good, running like a champ now.