It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thermostat again
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:40 am 
LOST Newbie

Hello
Ok I have searched my brains out and going nuts here. My Thermostat is bad and has the same symptons as everybody else. Looks a lot easier to change then those glow plugs I did last week. So it should be a straight forward deal. But here is the deal, Napa doesnt list one so its a dealer item only, and my dealer is a joke. I dont really wanna go modifiing the housing and all that stuff, thought I would just get one from the dealer and put it on. But I need the part number for it. Ours is a 2006 limited CRD with 82000 miles.
Thanks for anyhelp.
Shawn

p.s I didnt see a sticky on the thermostat on how to actually fix it for good, Am I just missing it?

Post subject: Re: Thermostat again
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

Tried Rock Auto, no dice.

http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_ ... ts_id=2719

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:31 pm 
LOST Member

SKA_Diesel wrote:
Hello
Ok I have searched my brains out and going nuts here. My Thermostat is bad and has the same symptons as everybody else. Looks a lot easier to change then those glow plugs I did last week. So it should be a straight forward deal. But here is the deal, Napa doesnt list one so its a dealer item only, and my dealer is a joke. I dont really wanna go modifiing the housing and all that stuff, thought I would just get one from the dealer and put it on. But I need the part number for it. Ours is a 2006 limited CRD with 82000 miles.
Thanks for anyhelp.
Shawn

p.s I didnt see a sticky on the thermostat on how to actually fix it for good, Am I just missing it?

I put the inline in my truck and couldn't be happer. It was the best $10 I spent on the truck.

You only love it if you change it!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:31 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

There currently is not a good fix.

you can replace the OEM every year or so - and it'll stay about 170-180F but the thermostat's ~$140

Kap was working on a real fix - where he cut open the housing and set them up to use a normal $20 thermostat - but he's been working on the first group for a couple of years - is getting close to finishing - but isn't going to do any more.

the in-hose version is cheap - works with a variety of temps (I'm running 190F) - but it's suspect in that it's not opening the same way as the factory version and the factory OEM is still inplace - so it may eventually fail closed.

(standard failure is open early - but if it cycles that way for a long time - the expansion wax may leak out and not open at all)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'd disagree only to the extent that the life of the OEM tstat seems to be on the order of 35-45K miles or in my case after about 5 years. I have no clue which was more "important" to the failure but given Kap's opinion of the weakish tstat spring I'd guess cycles from cold to hot so they may fail quicker on vehicles like mine (38k miles) that don't do a lot of highway miles and last longer on vehicles that tend to be driven long distances. If that's right then a replacement cycle of something like 5-7 years may be what you would see with an OEM.

That said:
1. as noted the failure mode seems to be open or opening early, I don't recall any mention of one failing closed, and that's extremely easy to spot. If your temp gauge doesn't reach a slight bit left of dead vertical then your tstat is failed or failing.
2. there is plenty of chat on the inline option which seems to work for lots of folks so long as there is a small bypass hole in the skirt of the inline although some have reported temp spikes when towing. I elected though to go with a new OEM just because I'm the nervous type and probably a bit dumb if only because I've had 2 of Kap's mods pass thru my hands-1 to my son stoutdog whose OEM was failing and 1 to a local friend whose OEM had failed. Fortunately I'm on Kaps short list and he should finish up relatively soon after the 1st of the year once he is back down under from coming back stateside for Christmas as his power equipment problem has been solved.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:27 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'd disagree with a 5-7 year replacement.

True - my original stayed in there 5 years - but at least the last couple of years it was in the 1/4 to 1/3 range on the gauge.

so when I replaced it - I'd plug in the scan gauge and check - the 1st winter it locked in at 176F
the second winter it only hit 166F on a regular basis - so it lost 10 Degrees in one year.

then I put the inline on it - and it's stayed at 190F - no issues on it's second winter now.

(note summer's are 90-100F... it always warms up)

the fail closed- was Kap guessing - based on what he'd learned about thermostats - I don't think anyone's seen that.

so if you want to run the OEM - I'd be looking at changing at least every 3 years - probably 2 for best mileage - for the moment I'm running the inline but I will take that out when I go back to Colorado - it's too easy to overheat climbing mountains and I don't trust that restriction in the lines.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:25 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sorry I was not saying the OEM "will" last 5-7 years just that based on my experience it may. Regardless of hypothetical duration when your temp gauge no longer reaches just a hair left of vertical it's time to replace an OEM tstat.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs