It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sucessfully registered a CRD in Cali!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:01 pm 
LOST Member

All,

Want you all to share in my joy. I just returned from the DMV with California plates for our CRD!

So it looks like having a relative buy the vehicle out-of-state, register and insure it in that state, put 7,500 miles on it, and then do a family transfer (to avoid use tax) works!

Of course now that CRDs are getting older your odds of finding one with >7,500 miles on it is pretty good and that would be simpler than the above. But I wanted a new CRD last October so that's what we did.

Looking forward to many years with my first diesel. :)

GDE Eco Tune and DPF delete
CB Engineering DPF delete pipe
EHM

Past (sold to Mountainman):
2005 Patriot Blue Liberty CRD Limited

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:15 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Very cool! Shame you are not in So-Cal so I could take some measurements for the Amsoil By-pass system. Hopefully I will find one locally in the near future.

Do you see any places you think a filtration system might fit?

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

Excellent! I have gone the other route and found one with 9000 miles on it from CarMax. It is to be delivered today from Tampa!

BTW, I am in SoCal (Orange County), and could possibly meet to take measurements.

-Loyal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

Glad to hear it!!

Our idiot Governor here in Oregon is adopting cali emissions so we will soon have to jump thru the same hoops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Our idiot Washington Governor is going to follow Oregon too. She's not MY Governor. I voted for the guy that actually won the election not the one in office.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:23 am 
LOST Member

Actually, neither Oregon or Washington's governors are idiots.

As soon as ULSD is *standard* everywhere in the USA, we will have diesels that meet CARB diesel standards...

The problem is not within CARB (although I agree - it is not the best implemantation of emission standards) or the EPA standards (although I agree that they are not the wisest either) - the problem is that the fuel standards have been such a moving target.

It is very hard to design and support an emission system on fuel that you can't guarantee what will be in it.

Not only has the moving "deadline" for ULSD been a problem, but diesel fuel in the USA in general. When the fuel you get in one region may be high quality and the fuel in another may suck arse - how do you design, build, and support an engine for that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

valkraider wrote:
Actually, neither Oregon or Washington's governors are idiots.

As soon as ULSD is *standard* everywhere in the USA, we will have diesels that meet CARB diesel standards...

The problem is not within CARB (although I agree - it is not the best implemantation of emission standards) or the EPA standards (although I agree that they are not the wisest either) - the problem is that the fuel standards have been such a moving target.

It is very hard to design and support an emission system on fuel that you can't guarantee what will be in it.

Not only has the moving "deadline" for ULSD been a problem, but diesel fuel in the USA in general. When the fuel you get in one region may be high quality and the fuel in another may suck arse - how do you design, build, and support an engine for that?

We'll just have to agree to disagree on the cranial capcity of our fearless leader, this is not the only boneheaded decision he's made IMHO :lol:

At the very least you would have to agree our governor has bad judgement. There is abosolutely no reason to incure the expense of carb emissions here in Oregon. Yes I was aware of the ULSD fuel situation...etc. But diesels are just a very small part of the big picture. Demanding that every Oregon new car buyer (gas & diesel) pay for CARB standards is just plain arrogant and irresponsible on the Governors part. Its just not needed.
The undeniable fact is that its not the new cars that is the pollution problem, its the old worn out cars that are still on the road. Its these cars that put out 900 times the emmisions, thats right 900 times the emissions of new cars. You know the ones with visible black and/or blue smoke while driving.....that all it takes. So if the Gov. gave a rats rear about polution and not just pandering to the irrational tree huggers, he'd impliment stricter standards for older cars, but since its not PC to pick on the poor (generally who drives these cars) nothing will ever change. Just think about that for a second, for every 100 jalopys taken off the road, 90,000 new cars can replace them with no impact on pollution.

Having Oregonians pay for CARB standards thru higher vehicle prices is just a monumental waste of their money.......but then again when has any government cared about wasting taxpayer money. :roll: :lol:

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread........I'll get off my soapbox now :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:12 am 
LOST Member

Congrats on getting your CRD in Cali.

Unjacked.

2005 CRD Limited 4x4 - Deep Beryl Green - Selec-Trac
Trac-Lok - Skid Plates - BFG Radial Long Trail TA's- Rotella T 5W40 Synthetic.

2007 GC CRD Limited. Silver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:09 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Hi Chris,

Congratulations on getting one! Will your dealer know what to do with it if it goes in for any maintenence or repairs? We're trying to figure out a day to do a run in Hollister, right down 101 from you. It would be great if you could make it (once we pick a day).

03 Freedom with some neat stuff done to it that I learned about here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:42 pm 
LOST Member

I asked them and they said they have 1 tech who's diesel-trained. They don't do Dodge so I'm a little nervous. They did handle the tranny filter TSB without any problems but that tranny is used on gassers too so that doesn't mean much. There's another Jeep dealer that also does Dodge trucks about 20 miles from me. I may go there for engine work (if I ever need any - knock wood) as they should be able to at least spell diesel.

Let me know on the Hollister day. The CRD is bone stock so not sure how much off-roading I could do (I do have the tranny skid to protect the oil filter) but I would love to meet some fellow LOSTers!

GDE Eco Tune and DPF delete
CB Engineering DPF delete pipe
EHM

Past (sold to Mountainman):
2005 Patriot Blue Liberty CRD Limited