It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: The CRD drive line noise thread
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:54 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Did you have an annoying drive line noise that was hard to detect?

What did it sound like?

What was the problem that fixed it for you?

Post it here so we can all learn and keep our CRDs running smooth.

Last edited by flman on Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: The CRD drive line noise thread
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

06 CRD Libby LTD

Was making a roaring noise, got worse at speed, sounded like failing CV joints or bearings.

The real problem was the tires were very noisy, Bridgestone Dueller AT Revo, rotated the tires front to back and a lot less noisy now. I will never buy those over rated tires again.

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

06 CRD Libby Sport

Clunk, clunk around any turn left or right, thought is was C Clip slop.

It finally got so bad that it would make the identical clunk when the vehicle was started, so engine mounts, it had that typical sound like it was grinding nuts when the mounts start to rattle, so I ordered new ones. Turns out the real problem was the top bolt on the right engine mount was loose and required no torque to remove it. Any ways the engine mounts were rattling as well, so I killed 2 birds with one stone. Jeep idles with no rattles, sounds great.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Rumbling WUMP WUMP WUMP sound came out of nowhere, ended up being passenger front wheel bearing.

Changed both out and nary a problem since.

GDE ECO Tune / Fumoto Valve / E-Tecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs / 2nd Gen Fuel Head / Mishimoto RED Hoses / Rockers/Lifters @ 114k / Hayden FC + 11 Blade Nylon / Sears P1 Battery / Transgo 45RFE-HD2 Reprogramming Kit / Timken Front Bearings

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:28 pm 
LOST Junkie

Hexus wrote:
Rumbling WUMP WUMP WUMP sound came out of nowhere, ended up being passenger front wheel bearing.

Changed both out and nary a problem since.

Sorry for the dumb question, but do you mean that you replaced the left and right wheel hub bearings? I've had a noise for months now that roars as I drive. I had the passenger side front wheel hub bearing replaced (I think that's what they replaced) and the noise is still there. I was told before to replace the other bearing by members on this board, and I didn't know if they meant the driver's side wheel hub bearing or another bearing on the passenger side. I was thinking about replacing the passenger side axle shaft for $80 but I'm not even sure that's the problem. What other bearings are common failures up there? The noise really only seems to be coming from the passenger side.

Build Date 1/05
200k miles.
Original Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I get a Four Cylinder throb at 20 PSI of Boost (measured at manifold) at 1600 RPM with my Boost Trained Ram TCM. :wink:
Push the accelerator down a little more for a down shift or back it off to 18 PSI boost at 1600 RPM and it goes away. :wink:
Last summer I had a bad shake until I replaced the Drive Shaft U Joints, then it went away. :mrgreen:

Fuel cooler, Oil Separator, Progard 7
Gauges EGT Boost Trans Temp Oil Pres, Michelin LXT AT2 245 70 R16
7,000# Draw Tight hitch, PML EX Deep Trans Pan
Centrifuge, SunCoast, Transgo, RAM TCM, InMotion Stage 2
Wife's 99 TDI VW Beetle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Big Montana wrote:

Sorry for the dumb question, but do you mean that you replaced the left and right wheel hub bearings? I've had a noise for months now that roars as I drive. I had the passenger side front wheel hub bearing replaced (I think that's what they replaced) and the noise is still there.

You can rotate the tires really cheap and see if that changes things, my tires sounded like a mechanical problem in nature, I thought it was bearings and CV joints, drive line, etc?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have a very slight side to side wobble in the ride between 15 and 40 mph that's only noticeable on smooth pavement (i.e. rush hour traffic slow-and-go). Almost seems like something rubbing the driveline causing this, but it's so slight, it's more of an annoyance and it's been happening for about 5-1/2 years (so not exactly getting critical). Obviously the behavior has carried over through several sets of tires and lots of rotations as well as a set of new brakes on all four corners.

I'd love to know if anyone has the same thing or knows what it is.

Dan

Fumoto drain | ProVent CCV Filter
Stanadyne FM100 filter | Cummins fuel pump
GDE Eco | SEGR | BoulderBars | FrankenLift | Frankenskids

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:23 pm 
LOST Junkie

I think I have a rear differential bearing slowly wearing out.
I'm starting to get a faint whine coming from the rear axle when cruising at 55mph on flat roads while turning slightly to the left. I doesn't really suprise me because the diff fluid had alot of silver flake in it the first time that I changed it at 34,000 miles. Since then, I have changed it yearly with Moble 1 full synthetic at about 18,000 mile intervals.
My 98 Grand Cherokee started making the same noise around 90,000 miles. At 190,000 miles, it is really noisy because I didn't do anything about it except for changing the fluid every 30,000miles :roll:

#1 CRD, 174,000 miles. Eco tune, Samco hoses. Mobil1 0-40w used since day one
#2 CRD 143,000 miles. Bought used (unknown history) with 100,000 miles. Samco hoses.
Eco tune, new rockers, and 5 volt glow plugs installed at 124,000 miles

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:06 am 
Oilburner
Oilburner

Bad 'cloink' at braking/accelarating: rear balljoint. It's easier to replace the whole 'boomerang' instead of only the bj. :wink:

Solo Liberty en Español: Jeepliberty.es

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

I seem to having a similar problem with my crd , Just on turns , and its weird cause its once in a while but My question was where did you get the motor mounts and nuts ? What site ?
Thank you :)

flman wrote:
06 CRD Libby Sport

It finally got so bad that it would make the identical clunk when the vehicle was started, so engine mounts, it had that typical sound like it was grinding nuts when the mounts start to rattle, so I ordered new ones. Turns out the real problem was the top bolt on the right engine mount was loose and required no torque to remove it. Any ways the engine mounts were rattling as well, so I killed 2 birds with one stone. Jeep idles with no rattles, sounds great.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:22 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

crdieseljeep wrote:
I seem to having a similar problem with my crd , Just on turns , and its weird cause its once in a while but My question was where did you get the motor mounts and nuts ? What site ?
Thank you :)

flman wrote:
06 CRD Libby Sport

The mounts have on nut on top and bottom, it was the nut on the top right side. I think Joe Ramas said he had the same issue? It makes sense the nut on that side would loosen as it sets on the aluminum heat shield?

I got my parts here, you can just order two left mounts if you want to be cheap and reuse the heat shield on the right side. :2cents:

http://moparonlineparts.com/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:12 pm 
LOST Member

I have a roaring that's so loud I can't even hear the engine above 20mph. But mine is the horribly uneven wearing but actually decent working goodyear wrangler authority tires. They were on the jeep when I got it, I will never buy a pair after these. My son cant hear his dvd player over the tires. They have 75% or so of tread left, but man it's annoying.

SOLD-2006 Red CRD Sport 4x4. Hot, Fumoto, Weeks stage 1, ARP studs .
SOLD-2006 blue CRD Sport 4x4. Eco, Fumoto.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:48 am 
Oilburner
Oilburner

I don't think those tires are directional so you can rotate them. That should take the noise level down for a while. Then rotate them again. :wink:

Solo Liberty en Español: Jeepliberty.es

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:49 pm 
LOST Member

I have rotated them 4 times in 22k miles. Shouldn't be an issue but it is.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:30 pm 
LOST Member

Revo 2's fixed it. But I put the Jeep up for sale at a consignment dealer in Chesapeake today. I can't justify payments on a vehicle I rarely drive.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

I finally can hear the turbo whine above 30 mph again. For me it was a bad wheel hub bearing. Symptoms were a tire like noise or a roar that would get worse as speeds increased. It would also change if you were doing a left turn as compared to a right turn. Finally got around to replacing the drivers side wheel hub... thought it was a 45 minute job but turned into a two hour job.. Was a pain getting the rotor off and following the ABS wire up to where it plugged in and trying to disconnect the connector... What a pain in the ***. Now to figure out the sway I have in the rear end when I get off or on the throttle.

Sean

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:42 pm 
LOST Addict

Tree Catcher wrote:
I finally can hear the turbo whine above 30 mph again. For me it was a bad wheel hub bearing. Symptoms were a tire like noise or a roar that would get worse as speeds increased. It would also change if you were doing a left turn as compared to a right turn. Finally got around to replacing the drivers side wheel hub... thought it was a 45 minute job but turned into a two hour job.. Was a pain getting the rotor off and following the ABS wire up to where it plugged in and trying to disconnect the connector... What a pain in the ***. Now to figure out the sway I have in the rear end when I get off or on the throttle.

Sean

Last part sounds like your rear control arm bushings are shot.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:52 pm 
LOST Junkie

Noise from front grumbling/roaring increased with speed ,changed both front hubs. Cured
Now got a very very slight noise coming from rear , axle ,wheel bearing , diff not sure yet .

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:33 am 
LOST Newbie

Tree Catcher wrote:
Now to figure out the sway I have in the rear end when I get off or on the throttle.

Sean

Definitely rear control arm bushings. Just replaced mine.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next