It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: The CRD drive line noise thread
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks, hope it is not that later, Yikes!

LN

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

Have had a "thunking" noise coming from under the right front for the last year, gradually getting worse. Seemed to be related to wheel speed, worst at about 45 mph while coasting. Turned out to be a badly worn spline joint between the right side inner CV joint housing and the stub shaft coming out of the differential. This joint is easily checked by pushing the inner CV joint housing back and forth (see video clip by Topon above) There should be almost no play in a good joint. Also, a rub ring on the inner CV joint housing is a sign there is too much play. The fix is to replace both the stub shaft and the CV joints (Jeep calls it a "half shaft"). I ordered the parts from the dealer. Current P/Ns: right half shaft 52111780AB, axle shaft 05066057AB. I also replaced the left half shaft (CV joints, P/N 52111781AB. It turned out none of the CV joints themselves were bad, all seals were intact, only the spline joint was worn. Also, as noted elsewhere, the axle shaft easily came out of the differential but the spline joint to the half shaft wouldn't come apart. I returned it to the dealer to recover the core charge and even they couldn't get it apart so if you are replacing CV joints better count on getting a new axle shaft as well.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:54 am 
LOST Newbie

Growl at 20mph and higher pitched whine at 40-50mph then fairly quiet above that. 150K miles. Changed differential oil and the front drive shafts and wheel bearings. Disconnected the drive shaft to the front differential and noise is still there so I'm suspecting the differential. Could bearings be changed while still on the vehicle or does the differential have to be removed?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:26 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

jtz54 wrote:
Growl at 20mph and higher pitched whine at 40-50mph then fairly quiet above that. 150K miles. Changed differential oil and the front drive shafts and wheel bearings. Disconnected the drive shaft to the front differential and noise is still there so I'm suspecting the differential. Could bearings be changed while still on the vehicle or does the differential have to be removed?

You can do it in the vehicle, you need to pull the cover and the C clips then you can slide out the axles and change the bearings.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:54 pm 
LOST Member

My turn! I've got an annoying rattle/hum, sounds like it's coming from the front end, most pronounced while coasting and is dampened when under power or braking. Pretty much occurs at all speeds up to 50 mph (haven't exceeded that in a while). To me this rules out tire wear. I just checked serpentine pulleys and they all seem fine. Also just replaced the front diff mounts and the front drive shaft rear CV. On that note, does the thrown grease from that front drive shaft rear CV stink for a while?? I can't even drive with the drivers window open for the stink of something burning. Thanks folks, will also post this in the main "Liberty CRD..." thread.

In action on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oCq4Xa1lH4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

jtz54 wrote:

Did you find the problem mine has the same symptoms.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:22 am 
LOST Member

HELP. Impossible to find clunk thunk or whatever these nightmare noises are!! 1st problem is banging noise on the slightest of bumps or shift from side to side on uneven ground that sounds like I'm bottoming out. Also when I come to a stop that go forward I get another clunk. I've replaced the rack and pinion, JBA upper arms, new brakes-rotors and pads,CV axles and shaft, new u joints in the rear drive shaft, rebuilt the rear of the short shaft, new swaybar bushings(moog) New tie rod ends, old man emu struts and coils HD 2 years ago. This obnoxious noise has been going on for 3 months. Motor mounts? Trans mounts? Lower ball joints? Lower control arm bushings??? Please any help would be appreciated

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:18 am 
LOST Newbie

Shadow, I just did the laundry list of items that fixed my CLUNK. IMO it was a bad motor mount that was causing my clunk. Take your time wrenching the motor mounts, read the detailed instructions they help.

Some key points
Get the painful side done first (drivers side bottom nut) PIA. The rest are pretty straight forward.
18mm deep socket 3/8 drive
3/8 universal swivel
Minimum of 14" of 3/8 extensions

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=82778

brakes ... rotors pads
boomerang... oem
motor mounts "isolators" oem
Moog lower control bushings 6 in total
Upper control arms JBA
struts / shocks
Greased the drive line splines

shadow63 wrote:
HELP. Impossible to find clunk thunk or whatever these nightmare noises are!! 1st problem is banging noise on the slightest of bumps or shift from side to side on uneven ground that sounds like I'm bottoming out. Also when I come to a stop that go forward I get another clunk. I've replaced the rack and pinion, JBA upper arms, new brakes-rotors and pads,CV axles and shaft, new u joints in the rear drive shaft, rebuilt the rear of the short shaft, new swaybar bushings(moog) New tie rod ends, old man emu struts and coils HD 2 years ago. This obnoxious noise has been going on for 3 months. Motor mounts? Trans mounts? Lower ball joints? Lower control arm bushings??? Please any help would be appreciated

DACCO R36LS Torque Converter
DIY tune by Yeti stage II
Weeks full EGR delete
Cat cleaned
Muffler delete
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzcATT ... pHsGJ7Dy-w

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:31 pm 
LOST Member

I have clunk from rear when I go over a bump. I started noticing the clunk after I replaced rear shocks and springs. I suspect the shock bushings may have too big bore. OME shocks.

Another thud I feel seems to come from under the engine/transmission. I feel thud when I come to sudden stop and then let go the break. It feels like transmission shifted from 2nd to 1st. If I break slowly then there is no "shift thud" felt. I am suspecting motor mounts. I will report back if the thud goes away after I replace the motor mounts.

Both sounds come in 2WD and 4WD.

2nd gen fuel head with 2nd stage 2 micron filter, in-tank lift pump, G2 Rear Diff Cover

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:54 pm 
LOST Member

Well just picked up my 06 CRD today and ready to start learning about it (have read the NOOB guide). But I come to this thread because I was hearing a noise on the drive home (mostly hiway but some stop and go city and a few miles of dirt roads) that I can't quite make out. I did some "playing around" with the noise and this is what it's characteristics are:

1. Only happens at 1700-2000rpms. Higher or lower rpms and the noise stops.

2. It is a ticking, maybe plastic doesn't have a sharp metallic sound to it, but I could be mistaken. Appears to be coming from under the dash, say 2' or so in front of the steering wheel. But my directional sound placements have been known to be off before.

3. Does not appear to be any loss of power or other symptoms associated with the sound. Still moves fine, engine speeds up and down thru the noisy range just fine. The noise just comes and goes as you move the rpm thru that range (either going up or down). Happens at higher and lower mph, so presumably the tranny is in different gears.

My first thought was perhaps an engine related thing, sticky injector. But also thought of engine mounts and perhaps some resonance at those rpms.

Any guidance here? Is this the right place or should I be asking this in an engine related thread?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:10 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

shadow63 wrote:

When I had the clunk I also had the rattling motor mounts, not related to the clunk exactly. But when I went to change them I found the nut on the top right motor mount was not torqued and took no effort to get started. Is you clunk on the passenger or driver side? Mine was most noticeable on heavy turning and quick jerks of the steering wheel. I thought it was something in the rear axle at first?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:03 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks for all the responses I had two bad motor mounts one was rattling and one was cracked. All fixed!!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:08 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

shadow63 wrote:
Thanks for all the responses I had two bad motor mounts one was rattling and one was cracked. All fixed!!!

Were all the nuts tight when you removed them?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:46 pm 
LOST Member

Yes .1 rattled and the other was cracked

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:07 am 
LOST Newbie

Loud chirping noise at idle, it was the alternator pulley. Replaced it before it disintegrated....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:51 pm 
LOST Member

pjigar wrote:
I have clunk from rear when I go over a bump. I started noticing the clunk after I replaced rear shocks and springs. I suspect the shock bushings may have too big bore. OME shocks.

Another thud I feel seems to come from under the engine/transmission. I feel thud when I come to sudden stop and then let go the break. It feels like transmission shifted from 2nd to 1st. If I break slowly then there is no "shift thud" felt. I am suspecting motor mounts. I will report back if the thud goes away after I replace the motor mounts.

Both sounds come in 2WD and 4WD.

The thud after sudden stop turned out to be due to worn out engine mounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2nd gen fuel head with 2nd stage 2 micron filter, in-tank lift pump, G2 Rear Diff Cover

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:55 pm 
LOST Member

New to owning a CRD. 2006 Liberty Sport. I suspect a motor mount issue, but the mounts are NS1 from Chrysler. Is there an aftermarket alternative?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:09 pm 
LOST Addict

mrhemi wrote:
New to owning a CRD. 2006 Liberty Sport. I suspect a motor mount issue, but the mounts are NS1 from Chrysler. Is there an aftermarket alternative?

Try IDparts.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:36 am 
LOST Member

Turned out it was the motor mount brackets that were NS1, not the isolaters themselves. Got them changed out this weekend past and no more noise / vibraation. Both isolaters were rattling inside.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:44 pm 
LOST Junkie

Well I replaced my mounts years ago, but I'm beginning to think that may be a problem again.

I noticed this began yesterday.

I stopped at a stop sign and when I began to accelerate, it felt like I had a rear tire rubbing against the frame of the Jeep. I was turing right. My first thought was that I broke a spring or something and I was riding on my tire. Then, while accelerating, the noise seemed to decrease. The same symptom only pops up sporadically. I can have stops that are normal and stops that produce the loud vibrating noise like I'm rubbing a tire.

Now, in most cases at a stop light, the jeep idles smooth and clean. On two occasions though, the whole car strained and vibrated as if there was a tire rubbing even though I'm not moving. On both occasions, I shifted the car into neutral and the idle smoothed out. When I put it in drive, the noise would be gone.

As of today, the jeep is worse. It vibrates all the time while driving. I can feel a clunk and vibration in the seat and the accelerator. While at highway speeds, the sound reminds me of a car with a hole in the exhaust. It vibrates and roars. The performance of the jeep does not seem to be affected though.

161k miles. GDE tunes, newer motor mounts. New joints on both drive shafts. I rotated the tires last night and looked for problems with brakes and arms. Everything seems fine. None of my boots are cracked. Rotors move easily by hand. Axle fluid is good. I didn't check transfer case.
I'm thinking drive shaft, motor mounts, cv joints, or dear god the torque converter.

Any thoughts? Did I forget anything to check?

Build Date 1/05
200k miles.
Original Owner

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next