It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: The CRD drive line noise thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

Since this thread appears to be concentrated on, well, drive-lines I've got a quick question.
My sister's planning on towing the Lib out to Holbrook AZ where I'll meet up with her in a friends pickup and tow-dolly in order to tow it back to Clovis.
Is the drive-shaft pretty easy to remove?
As in no special tools apart from some sockets and such?

The Lib sounds like it's running fine after my stepdad cleaned out some of the connections going from the TCM to the transmission itself.
I just don't want to chance it and would rather tow it.

New Torque Convertor.

2005 Montague Paratrooper MTB
2001 Rans V-Rex Recumbent
1985 Schwinn World Tour, Fixed-gear

Yanking tankers full of Moo-Juice!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:34 pm 
LOST Junkie

Just disconnect the drivetrain per the manual as you would to tow behind a motorhome.

Shifting Into Neutral (N)
Use the following procedure to prepare your vehicle for recreational towing.
CAUTION!
It is necessary to follow these steps to be certain that the transfer case is fully in N (Neutral) before recreational towing to prevent damage to internal parts.
1. Depress brake pedal.
2. Shift transmission into N (Neutral).
3. Shift transfer case lever into N (Neutral).
4. Start engine.
5. Shift automatic transmission into D (Drive) or manual transmission into any forward gear.
6. Release brake pedal and ensure that there is no vehicle movement.
7. Shut the engine OFF and place the ignition key into the unlocked OFF position.
8. Shift automatic transmission into P (Park) or ensure manual transmission is in any forward gear.
9. Apply parking brake.
10. Attach vehicle to the tow vehicle with tow bar.
11. Release parking brake.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:29 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

bentstrider83 wrote:
Since this thread appears to be concentrated on, well, drive-lines I've got a quick question.
My sister's planning on towing the Lib out to Holbrook AZ where I'll meet up with her in a friends pickup and tow-dolly in order to tow it back to Clovis.
Is the drive-shaft pretty easy to remove?
As in no special tools apart from some sockets and such?

The Lib sounds like it's running fine after my stepdad cleaned out some of the connections going from the TCM to the transmission itself.
I just don't want to chance it and would rather tow it.

Been a while since I had mine out, but I thought it was external torx or allen? Got take a look by the rear differential.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just wanted to add my experience. '06 CRD with 169K on it. Wump, wump starting at 20MPH, at 55, could not hear the motor so loud inside. My son told me a wheel hub. I checked them out by just raising the vehicle and rotating the tires. The driver side felt like it was binding. So I bought 2 new hubs, one for each side. Did the driver side today. Took it out for a road test and WOW, I killed the Wumper. :o) Next weekend the other side. I also found a pin in the brake caliper bracket that was frozen. I notice the new pads I put in were wearing on the inside the most. So took care of the pin as well. I did have to use heat to remove the 3 hub bolts. And mine were the inverted 6 point star bolts. :? Used grease on the splines. Checked the CV boots and they were OK!

07/2013 - 168K
04/2015 - 255K
07/2015 - 265K
02/2016 - 295K
07/2016 - 302K
06/2017 - 327K
12/2018 - 398K
03/2019 - 405K
10/2019 - 436K
--------------------

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well have at it folks; mine sounds like you are riding on the rumble strips as you go down the highway when you are loading the throttle. Let off the fuel and she simmers down. But mash it again and sounds like a rumble strip again. Doesn't do it hardly at all coasting. No issues at slow speeds. Most noticeable 50+ fast you go the more rumble strip it is. Light in the steering wheel heavier in your seat... Noticeably (seems so anyway) louder toward the back of the jeep or from back seat.

Didn't notice till tire rotation... But it was very faint and tires were only showing moderate tread lifting (cupping, fading, chaffing) an that was about 1,000 miles ago. Just took it on long trip and really noticed it getting from bad to worse...

Steering feels fine no change in noise left or right steering.

I have u-joints that jumped in on the way by advanced... That's my bet but being I just put a water pump on (went fine) I am going to seek advise and take a break.

update- rear u joint at diff had a dusted bearing replaced u joint and all is well!

Thanks thanks thanks for all you do to support these unique vehicles.

1985 CUCV 1009 Blazer
Massey 1225 tractor

VW Passat and Subaru outback the beater cars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

tonycrd wrote:
Bad 'cloink' at braking/accelarating: rear balljoint. It's easier to replace the whole 'boomerang' instead of only the bj. :wink:

Thanks for posting this! This is exactly what is going on/wrong with my Jeep.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well... I had the boomerang replaced. Mine was shot, including the outer rubber mounts.
The Jeep is for sure tighter feeling and has a little less noise.. but it still has issues.
Another look, at the front end, shows I have a lot of lower control arm bushing contact on the sub frame. The quest continues...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

I had the same "Was making a roaring noise, got worse at speed, sounded like failing CV joints or bearings." I took it in to an independent shop to replace the U joints and found out the transmission rear mount was broken. Took about 3 weeks to get the new part and had the U joints replaced as well. Noise is gone.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

So I'm new to these CRD's (owned other diesels) mines an 06 with 130 KM yes KM not miles.
Anyway I have a funny noise thats coming from the engine I do believe. Its a slight rattle or so it sounds like,right at idle or low RPM goes away as soon as I accelerate up to speed. But at stop lights or just sitting at an idle or in reverse it starts to rattle again.
Kinda an odd one for sure, wondering if my engine mounts are loose, because it kinda sounds like a bolt is rattling around.
Any help is appreciated .

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:58 pm 
LOST Addict

Franko wrote:
So I'm new to these CRD's (owned other diesels) mines an 06 with 130 KM yes KM not miles.
Anyway I have a funny noise thats coming from the engine I do believe. Its a slight rattle or so it sounds like,right at idle or low RPM goes away as soon as I accelerate up to speed. But at stop lights or just sitting at an idle or in reverse it starts to rattle again.
Kinda an odd one for sure, wondering if my engine mounts are loose, because it kinda sounds like a bolt is rattling around.
Any help is appreciated .

Thanks

It sounds like the engine mount (or mounts) is actually broken inside. You can't see the break from the outside.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:12 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the feed back, is that a fairly straight forward fix ?
I'll have to look into this more.

Edit found this helpful info: ohttp://www.greendieselengineering.com/ ... t/115.page
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=49882&hilit=engine+mounts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:15 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Franko wrote:
Thanks for the feed back, is that a fairly straight forward fix ?
I'll have to look into this more.

Edit found this helpful info: ohttp://www.greendieselengineering.com/ ... t/115.page
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=49882&hilit=engine+mounts

Mine sounded like I was grinding nuts until I replaced them.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

A word to the wise regarding drive line noise.

Change your gear oil, both front and rear, including the transfer case ..... I replaced mine recently and the drive line noise is gone, no more shake and the MPG is up.

The noise was driving me nuts.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:03 pm 
LOST Addict

I get a clunk, i think from the front, when I do the following:

1. I am moving forward, come to a stop, shift to reverse, move in reverse, brake. When i hit the brakes in reverse it clunks.

2. Just the opposite; I am moving backwards, come to a stop, shift to Drive, move forward, brake. When i hit the brakes it clunks.

So it seems like something is moving and then as long as I don't change direction it is fine where it is. I checked the calipers so see if they were loose and it seems fine

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:49 pm 
LOST Member

racertracer wrote:
A word to the wise regarding drive line noise.

Change your gear oil, both front and rear, including the transfer case ..... I replaced mine recently and the drive line noise is gone, no more shake and the MPG is up.

The noise was driving me nuts.

I can't check at the moment, but are the recommended oil types and procedure for this located in the Noob Guide?

If you're in New England and need your KJ TB done, PM me.

Retired:
Tractor: Dark Khaki '06 CRD Sport, GDE ECO & Trans Tunes, 2.5" lift + 245/75r16. - Sold 27Apr16
Ghost: Silver '06 KJ CRD Limited, bunch of goodies done - Sold 18Apr16

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:56 pm 
LOST Member

bentrod wrote:
tonycrd wrote:
Bad 'cloink' at braking/accelarating: rear balljoint. It's easier to replace the whole 'boomerang' instead of only the bj. :wink:

Thanks for posting this! This is exactly what is going on/wrong with my Jeep.

I had my ball joint fail as well. The pinch bolt must not have been tightened enough from the factory because it had egged out the casting hole. The excessive lean angle of the rear end from the extra slop caused the ujoint at the rear end to fail shortly after. Front driveline ujoint is still original.

2006 Liberty CRD 275K, JBA 2.5 with Fox Shocks, GDE Turbo Kit, GDE TCM Tune, Suncoast TC, OEM fuel filter housing converted to fit Caterpillar Fuel Filter 1R-0749, OEM themostat housing modified to accept Hemi 203 F thermostat.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

Recently, I've noticed a vibration in the gas pedal in gear usually starting out from a stop. It's not severe but wasn't there before. Just had the motor mounts replaced (one was broke) but the vibration is still there. Checked the drive shaft and u-joints but they seem to be ok. There is no vibration in neutral and while revving the engine (was told, might be the turbo but the turbine is fairly tight). Looking for suggestions to track this down.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

Sometimes after I turn the crd off I hear a clicking sound like a starter clicking, it's happened twice so far just curious it last like 5 seconds or maybe 10 if that. I read something that I should unplug the TPS due to the flow control valve but I've unplugged it and I have a gde tune so any help would be great

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:27 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

devilkin4 wrote:
Sometimes after I turn the crd off I hear a clicking sound like a starter clicking, it's happened twice so far just curious it last like 5 seconds or maybe 10 if that. I read something that I should unplug the TPS due to the flow control valve but I've unplugged it and I have a gde tune so any help would be great

I unplugged my FCV when it went bad, no problems in over a year.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

05 Liberty 118000 miles

I have owned this Liberty since it had 4000 miles on it in 2005.

We have had a occasional clunk that existed since new and I have checked everything I could think of and never finding signs or the source of the noise.

Well I read up on this thread and I decided to change the engine mounts. I am happy to report that it has solved every noise issue I have had.

On another note, I cut open one of the mounts and found a fluid inside....... I haven't read or seen anyone mention this before. What is it? oil, water???

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next