It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Scanned some codes today. What to do next?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:18 pm 
LOST Addict

Yeah you get what I was saying. I was calculating what mass rate my crd would flow at gde's altitude.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:59 am 
LOST Newbie

Mine is 17.3 g/s and goes to a little over 18 so I guess I'm O.K..

Last edited by Waynes on Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:18 pm 
LOST Junkie

MAF is not showing on mu initial setup, anything I should be doing to set it up?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:45 pm 
LOST Addict

striperman36 wrote:
MAF is not showing on mu initial setup, anything I should be doing to set it up?

If you press and hold on a blank area of the dashboard, then add gauge, find mass air flow in the long scrolling list.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:48 pm 
LOST Junkie

CATCRD wrote:
striperman36 wrote:

If you press and hold on a blank area of the dashboard, then add gauge, find mass air flow in the long scrolling list.

It's not green as an active scan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:54 pm 
LOST Addict

Striper,

If you do not have the ELM327 pictured first in the ebay listing below, that may be the problem.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid= ... &_from=R40

This is the one everyone I know is using.

If the value you are looking for is not "live" (green) on the list, it will not work.

You also should post on the "Torque" Forum and ask Ian for assistance. Just make sure to indicate what values most of us are reading, but you cannot.

DOC

EDIT: For people who read this at some later date, the "right" adapter has blue and orange/tan graphics on it. The first one listed on this Ebay auction may change to a different one, in time. Do not know, yet, which one Striper has.

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:44 am 
LOST Junkie

DOC4444 wrote:
Striper,

If you do not have the ELM327 pictured first in the ebay listing below, that may be the problem.

If the value you are looking for is not "live" (green) on the list, it will not work.

You also should post on the "Torque" Forum and ask Ian for assistance. Just make sure to indicate what values most of us are reading, but you cannot.

DOC

EDIT: For people who read this at some later date, the "right" adapter has blue and orange/tan graphics on it. The first one listed on this Ebay auction may change to a different one, in time. Do not know, yet, which one Striper has.

I have the 3rd from the top in that list

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:46 am 
LOST Junkie

striperman36 wrote:
DOC4444 wrote:
Striper,

DOC

this is the one I got it on amazon - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004KL0I9I/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

also which torque pro version do you have? There are 3 on the google play store listing.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:05 pm 
LOST Junkie

striperman36 wrote:
striperman36 wrote:
DOC4444 wrote:
Striper,

DOC

this is the one I got it on amazon - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004KL0I9I/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

also which torque pro version do you have? There are 3 on the google play store listing.

Is this still working for you? I'm about to buy one, and all of these devices have crazy reviews. It seems like they vary from "awesome" to "fell apart out of the box."

Is there a modern link to the part that we all know works? When I look at the first link to the ebay list, they all have orange, blue and tan graphics.

Build Date 1/05
200k miles.
Original Owner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:08 pm 
LOST Junkie

CATCRD wrote:
GreenDieselEngineering wrote:
Yes those are symtoms of bad rocker arms. The best test I have found is measuring the air mass at idle. You need a decent tool to measure the MAF. The units of measure vary based on the tool used. A drbIII uses mg/stroke. A good engine is in the range of 640-720 mg/str and an engine with bad rockers (less valve lift thus less flow) is in the range of 500-550 mg/stroke. You must wait at least 60 seconds at idle for the EGR to shut off and make the test valid.

I used the Torque app on my droid to measure the MAF rate on my CRDs at idle. Both are 15.1 g/s, which if you do the math to convert to mg/stroke is about 700 (including an adjustment for the less dense air here at 5000 ft elevation).

So that's pretty encouraging. One has had EGR disabled since 19k with 60k on the odo now. The other was disabled at 25k, with 80k now.

For anyone else with this app, the default units are g/s or grams per second.
The conversion is g/s * 1000 * 60 / 760 / 2 * D

where 760 was my idle speed with a fully warm engine, and D is the air density adjustment from sea level. I used 1.17 to approximate what my engine would be pulling in terms of mass flow at sea level.

It would be interesting if a couple other people here on the board would check this and post results, since I know a couple people have the capability.

So I came out with 16.1 g/s at 775 Feet altitude at 760 RPM with the coolant at 168.8 F, the intake air at 122F and the outdoor air at 81 F

Can someone with better math skills than mine help me to figure out just what my conversion would be? I am not sure what D would be on this formula.

Thank you!

Build Date 1/05
200k miles.
Original Owner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:53 pm 
LOST Junkie

Big Montana wrote:
CATCRD wrote:
GreenDieselEngineering wrote:
Yes those are symtoms of bad rocker arms. The best test I have found is measuring the air mass at idle. You need a decent tool to measure the MAF. The units of measure vary based on the tool used. A drbIII uses mg/stroke. A good engine is in the range of 640-720 mg/str and an engine with bad rockers (less valve lift thus less flow) is in the range of 500-550 mg/stroke. You must wait at least 60 seconds at idle for the EGR to shut off and make the test valid.

I used the Torque app on my droid to measure the MAF rate on my CRDs at idle. Both are 15.1 g/s, which if you do the math to convert to mg/stroke is about 700 (including an adjustment for the less dense air here at 5000 ft elevation).

So that's pretty encouraging. One has had EGR disabled since 19k with 60k on the odo now. The other was disabled at 25k, with 80k now.

For anyone else with this app, the default units are g/s or grams per second.
The conversion is g/s * 1000 * 60 / 760 / 2 * D

where 760 was my idle speed with a fully warm engine, and D is the air density adjustment from sea level. I used 1.17 to approximate what my engine would be pulling in terms of mass flow at sea level.

It would be interesting if a couple other people here on the board would check this and post results, since I know a couple people have the capability.

So I came out with 16.1 g/s at 775 Feet altitude at 760 RPM with the coolant at 168.8 F, the intake air at 122F and the outdoor air at 81 F

Can someone with better math skills than mine help me to figure out just what my conversion would be? I am not sure what D would be on this formula.

Thank you!

Okay, so I followed the formula for 16.1 * 60 (sec) * 1000 (mg) \ 760 (RPM) \ 2 (strokes) and that gave me 635.5 mg\st... Yes? Now, if I go by what GDE said for 640-720 mg/st then I guess I'm close. If I look at the chart for 775 ft in elevation, I'm then thinking that I need to be pulling around 95% of what Keith says I need at sea level so I'm guessing I should be pulling around 608-684. Does that make ANY sense? I'm an English Lit major. If I'm correct then my engine is good to go.

Build Date 1/05
200k miles.
Original Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:40 am 
LOST Newbie

i measure ~15.9 g/s on my Torque Pro app, I am at 2250' elevation, 72* F ambient, 760 rpm at idle, after at least 60 seconds.

I come up with 627,6 mg/stroke.

Keith states " A good engine is in the range of 640-720 mg/str and an engine with bad rockers (less valve lift thus less flow) is in the range of 500-550 mg/stroke". This is at sea level from what i understand.

Adjusting for elevation (with chart from here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=74420&start=60) and using 2.6% adjustment per 1,000 ft, I used 94% (2.6% x 2.2 --which represents 100's of feet---)) of Keith's suggested good range" as my calculated reference range so that range , adjusted, now is 601-676 mg/st.

So I am falling about in the middle.

:pepper: :BANANA: :BINGO:

Weeks' Stage 1 & 2
ProVent 200
Samco Hoses
V6 Airbox
Cummins In Tank Pump
2nd Gen Fuel Filter Head,
Donaldson P551313 Secondary Filter
Fumoto valve
OME lift, JBA UCAs
Backbone Winch Mount