It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: high idle
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:29 pm 
LOST Member

There is NO WAY to tune and have it compliant! Any tuning or modifications of any kind will make it non compliant... read the rules and you will see for yourself. Even though the NOx levels are lower with a GDE tune, it is still a modification and thus a no no. The diesel crowd was just an overly easy target. The gas guys are just as illegal! Do you not think a tune or other mod is different for them, swapping the stock converter on a diesel for a low stall is an emissions crime as well, I encourage you to read up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:43 am 
LOST Addict

My66dodge wrote:
There is NO WAY to tune and have it compliant! Any tuning or modifications of any kind will make it non compliant... read the rules and you will see for yourself. Even though the NOx levels are lower with a GDE tune, it is still a modification and thus a no no. The diesel crowd was just an overly easy target. The gas guys are just as illegal! Do you not think a tune or other mod is different for them, swapping the stock converter on a diesel for a low stall is an emissions crime as well, I encourage you to read up.

This does not surprise me at all. The EPA is an un-elected bureaucracy with WAY too much power.

Post subject: high idle
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:35 am 
LOST Addict

My66dodge wrote:

I dont believe this is true. There are 700hp supercharger kits for the 5.0 Mustang and F150 that are CARB compliant and can be sold in CA and the other 49 states. You just need to go through the process of getting approved.

https://www.roushperformance.com/2018-m ... ase-1.html

Right at the bottom in bold it says 50 state emissions legal and has the CARB EO number.

I also dont buy that GDE’s tunes had lower NOx. Soot and CO2 are very likely lower due to leaner operation and higher efficiency, but usually that means NOx is also higher since you are burning hotter. That is the whole point of the EGR. Reduce the available oxygen and cool the combustion.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:01 am 
LOST Member

Understood but I know people in Portland who have GDE tunes and they pass annual emissions testing, I would love to collect the emissions data but we don’t have a 5 gas analyzer at our shop to check for NOx so

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:49 am 

Lowering emissions, especially NOX, and higher efficiency in the same sentence is an oxymoron.
Lowering combustion temperatures to lower NOX output does nothing to help engine efficiency, it only hurts it. :banghead:
That is one of the reasons Jeff uses a higher temperature thermostat in his HDS custom thermostat housings; to increase combustion efficiency. :rockon:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve