It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: What CRD oil filter do you use?
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:09 pm 
LOST Addict

I use a Fram Ultra XG8A. This is the one that is spec'd for the Ford 5.0 and is larger than the stock sized filter. I have a Amsoil bypass kit but have been to lazy to try and find a place to fit it. since its pretty large.

Fun fact; The XG8A fits the amsoil bypass kit so I plan on using that as the primary filter and just using the amsoil bypass filter as to save a few bucks.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:06 am 
LOST Addict

funnyman06 wrote:
Well this will get me throughly broken in and then I will probably order my oil change stuff from IDParts.com. Move back to a 5-40 full synthetic. Engine only has 4000 miles on it right now.

You can buy shell rotella t6 or mobil 1 turbo diesel truck pretty much from anywhere. Idparts.com has I believe also a 5w30 diesel oil, which is good in winter time. I mostly use 0w40 from Mobil 1, you can safely use it also an easy 7-8k miles if you have a gde tune or disabled the egr. 0w40 Mobil 1 is more fluid at both cold and hot - which is good- than 5w40 Mobil 1 td truck (hot by about 2-4 psi, cold by 20+psi on gauge), I had both in my jeep and I'm basing the statement on observations from the oil temp and pressure gauges.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:02 pm 
LOST Addict

I have use several filters on mine over the years.. Mostly I use NAPA Gold but I have used Mopar a few times as well as Purcolator Pure One and Motorcraft FL400 a few time. I use whatever I can get that is not made by Fram.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:24 pm 
LOST Member

NAPA Gold oil filter # 1773 works fine for me.

I'm always happy with WIX filters, too, # 51773.

[edited because I had to find the WIX # I use in my log book.]

- Weeks Kit Stage 1.
- Weeks Kit Stage 2.
- JBA 2.5 inch Silver kit and UCAs installed at 125K miles.
- Weeks supplied Samco Intercooler Hoses and clamps.

Waiting for time, limber fingers, and good weather to do my HDS Model 001 Thermostat unit swap.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:19 pm 
LOST Member

yes 1773 did come in discussion couple of times but 1773 filters for bigger particle size and 1515 is more efficient so for same price choose what you may like. and about Fram less said is better.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:22 am 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:
I am running the new Purolator Synthetic Oil Filter: PLS3001
99.9% efficient @25 microns using ISO 4548-12 multi-pass fully synthetic media, wire backed support.
:SOMBRERO:

Same filter I am using with Rotella T6.

06 CRD - Hayden 2905 fan clutch, GDE Hot Tune, Elephant hose mod and Maf unplugged, ATS stage 2 Trans and multi disc converter with Co Pilot done, GDE Trans Tune, Rock Father 3" lift, Bilstein struts and shocks, JBA Cut CV axle on short side, JBA rear axle upper control arm adjustment bracket, 235/85/r16 Laredo Tires

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:35 am 
LOST Addict

I have heard that a Wix 51773 will fit too, which is even bigger than the FL1a, PH8a filters.
But may not be too good for off road ground clearance.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:53 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Bosch Distance plus oil filter #3500, is the absolute best.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:38 pm 
LOST Member

Problem is these all just stop boulders and in by-pass stop nothing.
One would hope to never get to that particular running condition so that the performance factors of by-pass etc should in fact remain relatively meaningless - with an intuitive and dynamically changing filter and oil schedule that should be adapted specifically for the conditions you are driving under and your loadings of dust/short runs/ relative humidity etc. and these always change.

What a filter will hold (dirt holding reserve) and release the by-pass to full flow should really never come into the equation either even if you are driving constantly in bulldust in Australia. Changes should be far more regular than this and sludging should never occur.

It appears the primary killer of CRD engines (all marques) is a failure to filter down to 2 micron for fuel, engine oil and air.
This is reinforced in a recent magazine article here in an article showing a consensus compiled by recognised experts in the field of diesel engine repair and tuning. This should be factored in if the motor is expected by the owner to attain greater than design service life - which is about 250 000 km generally before major o/haul.
What appears to be lacking in all the specs being quoted is the absolute micron filtration rating according to SAE testing procedures.
The ONLY filter I have seen this for is the Purolator Pure One PL25230. Hence , this is my preferred primary filter.

Even the fuel system needs a preliminary filter of 30 microns absolute followed by a 2 micron absolute unit with water separating filter medium. Racor satisfy this.

I'll follow this up in time with detail in a separate thread discussing why ULSD is so bad for our particular motor given its release timing in the timeline of ULSD and CRD introduction.

Will try to explain why sulphur or rather its extraction by whatever method is so important to lubricity as this is misunderstood too, by some. Shortening the document is the problem - it is long and detailed.

For Lancer, and his question re K&N - mate, suggest you stay clear of them as they are not prepared to offer anything but the most crude filtration performance specs other than they will stop rocks and argue that unless a filter has been guaranteed tested per SAE standards it will not comply. In the early days of ownership I had lengthy correspondence with K&N about this and did not get answers that satisfied.

Hence, my favour of the Pure One Gold unit Pure One PL25230 along with by-pass filtration.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:57 pm 
LOST Junkie

Hi Auberon, I didn't bother with the K&N, the price asked was ridiculous.

Light Khaki 2.8CRD: TJM alloy bumper; Skid Row &Asfir skids;ext. breathers; SAMCO hoses; Grabber At3 235/70/16; Fumoto; Euro TC; Odyssey PC1500;GDE FTEcotune; OME lift; lightforce driving lights;ARB diff cover;nylon fan+Hayden2905;ss vortex exhaust; Airflow snorkel; Frontrunner roofrack; rock rails

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:34 pm 
LOST Member

flash7210 wrote:
I have heard that a Wix 51773 will fit too, which is even bigger than the FL1a, PH8a filters.
But may not be too good for off road ground clearance.

that is the one I have used since I got my CRD's

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:48 pm 

Using the new Purolator PSL30001 Synthetic Spin-On Oil Filter which is 99.9% efficient with wire backed synthetic media, NO PAPER. It is designed specifically for synthetic oil. It has a Nitrile gasket and a built in silicone anti drain back valve.
Prior to this new filter becoming available, I use the Pure One PL30001 as I have on several other vehicles for many years...

As to the fuel system, running a Donaldson P550588 11 micron primary fuel filter with a clear bowl drain / Racor WIF sensor on the OEM filter head and a Donaldson P551313 2 micron secondary fuel filter on a WIX filter head. This setup requires an in tank fuel pump.... :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

Last edited by WWDiesel on Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:18 pm 
LOST Member

Hi can you post pictures of your setup and details for these mods. thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:01 am 
LOST Member

WIX or MANN for me.

Eventually i will be installing a remote filter head with a large truck oil filter and a large bypass filter. Should add about 2 - 3 liters extra oil to the capacity.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD 271'000+ KM's, ORM, Muffler Delete, MOROSO oil/air separator unit, 1000 CA battery, ARB Bull bumper, OME coils/shocks 2" lift. Custom BushRoo roof rack & Bush Joey hitch rack. Mobil1-301 oil filter & Mobil 1 DELVAC ESP 0W40 Full Synthetic oil, custom rear hatch cargo rack. RACOR 245 filterhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

Amsoil EAO34.

Suncoast TC shift kit
40MPG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

So, I found myself in a bind this weekend with a laundry list of things needing to happen before an upcoming Motorcycle trip that I'm using my CRD to tow with. It wasn't until late Sat evening that it dawned on me that I didn't have an oil filter on hand and I really wanted to get the oil changed over the weekend. I knew my only choice would be Walmart that evening and I sure didn't want to run a Fram. I went through this thread noting all the different oil filters and headed off to Wally World to see what I could find. I had seen the Bosch 3500 come up in this thread and maybe another thread as an oversize filter that worked. That sure beat a Fram so bought it and changed my oil on Sunday. Everything seemed fine and even drove the CRD Sunday evening to dinner.

Monday afternoon, (I work from home) I went to get the mail and noticed a trail of oil under my jeep running down my driveway. :furious:

I crawled under real quick and sure enough it was coming from the oil filter. I moved some motorcycles out of the way and squeezed the CRD back into the garage and onto the ramps. I was able to tighten the filter some more, which helped slow the constant drip to a trickle, but it wasn't stopping. As i examined things closer, I noticed the filter was actually bottoming out on the frame bar on the bottom. The filter actually seemed to be sitting at a bit of an angle in this direction, but it wasn't cross threaded which I verified later. Maybe a faulty filter with the guts in there a bit off center? Either way I lost a quart of oil over night in my driveway since the filter didn't make a good seal. The weird thing is it didn't show up until after I drove it.

Anyway, I ended up running to Napa since it was Monday and grabbing the Napa Gold that seems to be the most popular choice in this thread. I pulled the old filter off and you could definitely see where the filter case had bottomed out keeping it from making a good seal. I put the Napa Gold one on and it doesn't touch at all and so far not leaking.

So maybe I had a bad filter, but it does appear the Bosch 3500 filter case is a bit deeper and might actually stop the filter from getting all the way tight. Just keep that in mind. Think I can return it to Walmart as a faulty filter. :D

11 Mini Cooper - Wife's
Motorcycles:: KTM 650 ADV (Katuki), 05 BMW 1200GS, 08 Yamaha WR250R

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:19 pm 
LOST Addict

I've used the Bosch filter before. Didn't have a problem. You somehow found a bad one.
I'm currently using a Fram XG8A with no issues.

When in doubt, go with the Motorcraft FL1A. Available virtually everywhere.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:00 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Never had a problem with the mighty Bosch Distance Plus 3500 Oil filter spinning on. It's my filter of choice.

We know that this huge filter needs a little negotiation to properly install it. The huge filter does touch the frame only a 1/16" - 3/32" of an inch at the very start, before it begins to thread into place. If you angle it just right while turning, it flows into the spot nice and tight. The filter needs to be pushed upward a little while you turn it into place.

This is definitely a manly filter and if we don't baby the install, it will rest in place perfectly once you get past the process of correctly starting the first few threads.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

Okay, thanks guys. Maybe I'll hang on to it and examine the way it installs next time a little closer. I just didn't want to chance it with this up coming trip.

11 Mini Cooper - Wife's
Motorcycles:: KTM 650 ADV (Katuki), 05 BMW 1200GS, 08 Yamaha WR250R

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:36 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
Using the new Purolator PSL30001 Synthetic Spin-On Oil Filter which is 99.9% efficient with wire backed synthetic media, NO PAPER. It is designed specifically for synthetic oil. It has a Nitrile gasket and a built in silicone anti drain back valve.
Prior to this new filter becoming available, I use the Pure One PL3001 as I have on several other vehicles for many years...

I had been running the larger Mobil1 and switched to the WIX 51515, but for the last few changes I've been using the PL30001 (mixed media). It's $8 and has a textured finish, so you can actually take it off with your hands. The PL30001 is also a little bit shorter than the other large capacity equivalents, so it fits easier behind the skid plate. I suppose I should start using the PSL30001 with the full synthetic media, but I can't bring myself to spend the extra $5. :oops:

05 CRD Limited (black), factory skids, Fumoto Valve, ARP Studs, Hayden HD fan clutch, EGR delete, Seyfert CRD Stage 2, 225/70R16, EGT gauge

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next