It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: What CRD oil filter do you use?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:55 pm 
LOST Addict

racertracer wrote:
Centrifuge? Can you elaborate on the model and from what company your centrifuge is from?

I only know that they exist and some long haul truckers have them.
Sorry, dont have any details.

Here is one example
http://www.spinnerii.com/index.cfm/lev1/726/How.The.Centrifuge.Works

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I couldn't locate a motor oil centrifuge that would operate on our low-pressure oil pump... my WVO centrifuge will not spin unless the oil is super hot, the viscosity is high and pressure reaches 1900 - 2200 psi.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:45 pm 
LOST Addict

I was recommended minimum 10k oil changes, this with the 0w40 Mobil 1 that some of you don't like. I have to dig the emails for the report from Blackstone labs. I have the gde tune though and my oil looks very good, better at 8k than most gasoline at 3k. I still change between 7-8k.

Just some food for thoughts. If the oil filter becomes clogged, and will force the oil through bypass, don't you guys think this should show in oil analysis? My opinion is that if you change a better oil than what I have the analysis for (the 0w40), you're throwing the money away, even if it's not a fortune.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:52 am 
LOST Member

mass-hole wrote:
Doesnt pretty much every car ever operate at over 12 psi at anything but idle? So if this is the case then wouldnt every car that uses a 12 psi bypass just run open all the time if the pressure ACROSS THE FILTER was actaully 12 psi?
Yes to both of those, but those are two totally different issues. Oil pressure gauge is measuring the difference between atmosphere and filter inlet, whereas the filter's internal bypass valve is measuring the difference between filter outlet and filter inlet. Two totally different things. The oil pressure being over 12psi does not necessarily mean the pressure differential between the two sides of the filter is over 12psi.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:13 pm 
LOST Member

In my opinion and others, excess differential pressure is usually a combination of high viscosity oil and cold temperature....not contamination under normal conditions. differential testing done with new/old oil with various viscosities and filters show the bypass will open during cold starts only. Check bobistheoilguy.com forum for much discussion on this matter. I run the biggest filter I can regardless of bypass rating because more surface area results in lower differential.

Florida HD billet TC [500+flbs torque]
DIY T'stat Mod {Kap's design}
'03 Ram TCM

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:25 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
And usually longer life.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:25 pm 
LOST Member

This is a common issue (from reading regularly published fact checked articles) of CRD motors of this modern low sulphur, long change intervals world.

The consensus published in this country is that long change intervals can do much harm to all Marques of CRD engine.
Regular maintenance IS undisputedly required adjusted to intervals that relate to driving conditions and the owner needs to think on their feet or at the advice of the mechanic for the duty the engine serves.

Short runs require shorter change intervals as do long periods of idling.
Quality parts (like the NAPA GOLD) are needed as another absolute and additionally, oil AND filter changes need to coincide as do FUEL filter changes. Seems the industry pundits in this country feel the need to put forward puts forward the idea that CONTINUAL cleanliness IS next to godliness on a regular basis by them what know.
I happen to agree with these thoughts BUT make the qualification that these points are most strongly made (about every 6 months ) in magazine articles for 4wd'ers in this country and stress that they are based on a [u]consensus of those who work on these engines professionally[/u] as maintenance bods with high reputations to live up to in this country.

An additional caveat is that the oil should suit the duty cycle/operating conditions of the engine as should change interval etc. This has to be flexible.

As a personal observation I am truly surprised at actually how long my EGT takes to come down to the lower limits of my gauge for safe shutdown from a running temp of 250C plus. I've read that some folk think an easy run up to stop is adequate and this concerns me given what MY gauge tells me about when to shut down.
I still continue to clean the MAP and MAF at each oil and filter change and change ALL filters relating to engine cleanliness and it has been mooted as maintenance needed regularly (I think in the articles) as this has an effect on the cleanliness of an engine.

In no way have they (contributors to the articles no-doubt for legal reasons) ever suggested removal of EGR. That would mean our authorities would go through their shops like a dose of salts but they clearly do not like EGR or DPF's.
We are lucky with the KJ that we didn't get lumbered with DPF's as well.

On bypass pressures: Although interesting to discuss, bypass pressures should be of NO VALUE if the engine is maintained on a regular and adaptive basis. It should only come into play if you ran it too hard and for too long. Crikey even blokes who go on long country trips carry spare filters and oil etc with the [color=#4040FF]expectation[/color] that the filters will be loaded with bulldust or the like so they can change the oil etc out bush so they can change according to operating conditions.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:17 pm 

joe_ wrote:
mass-hole wrote:
Doesnt pretty much every car ever operate at over 12 psi at anything but idle? So if this is the case then wouldnt every car that uses a 12 psi bypass just run open all the time if the pressure ACROSS THE FILTER was actaully 12 psi?
Yes to both of those, but those are two totally different issues. Oil pressure gauge is measuring the difference between atmosphere and filter inlet, whereas the filter's internal bypass valve is measuring the difference between filter outlet and filter inlet. Two totally different things. The oil pressure being over 12psi does not necessarily mean the pressure differential between the two sides of the filter is over 12psi.

Absolutely Joe, exactly what I have been saying! :banghead:
Without measuring oil pressure on BOTH sides of a filter with either two gauges or a dual input differential gauge, one cannot say with any certainty that the bypass valve operates even on a cold start. I for one am not fully convinced it does! :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:13 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

FYI this was Warp's centrifuge install

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=51648

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7