It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What are you all doing regarding rust?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:33 pm 
LOST Member

At about 193,000 miles I am starting to see rust at the bottom edge of all 4 doors and on the roof seam above the tailgate.

Estimate for repair is about $2,800 from a local body shop.

What have you all done regarding rust on these vehicles?

Post subject: Re: What are you all doing regarding rust?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:14 pm 
LOST Junkie

fatweasel wrote:
At about 193,000 miles I am starting to see rust at the bottom edge of all 4 doors and on the roof seam above the tailgate.

Estimate for repair is about $2,800 from a local body shop.

What have you all done regarding rust on these vehicles?

Not the answer that you want to hear, but I'm letting mine rust. I may replace the doors some day from a southern vehicle, but I'm not going to spend a ton of cash in Michigan to fix rust on a 13 year old vehicle with almost 180k. I'm afraid to look under the plastic running boards because I'm sure it looks like Swiss cheese. I already paid about $450 to have the back rust fixed by the rear tail light, and that bought me another 5 years. Now it's almost through in other areas.

I'll save the $2800 for my second timing belt, or new suspension work, or new head gasket and valve work, or new turbo. Mine's past the beauty pageant days I'm afraid. Someday I hope its a nice trail Jeep on the farm.

Build Date 1/05
200k miles.
Original Owner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:24 pm 
LOST Addict

2800 for fixing the doors and tailgate? Geez... You can do the doors very easy, with painting, the tailgate painting can be a bit more difficult if you want to paint the whole thing and don't have some form of professional spray nozzles with air compressor (or electric). If you have huge holes, you'll need some patches, you can go fiberglass for big holes or welding. Big hole in my definition is 2+ inch.

You can pry out the lower door seam, clean it with a grinder with wire brush installed and clean all the rust till you see bare metal. Once there is no rust left, use phosphoric acid (home Depot and Lowes has it in gallon bottles) to clean the metal, apply plenty of acid with a paint brush few times every couple minutes and let it sit for 30 minutes, then prime it one hand then use bed liner two hands. I'm talking about the inside lower part. Then gently hammer the pried seams back to the door after the bed liner is done. Apply bed liner again where you touched the seam with the hammer and then move to the door side facing outside. Here you should be a bit more careful and take your time since this is visible to outside.

What I did when fixing the doors on my old Cherokee, I used regular filler, my biggest hole was probably 1/2 inch and was on the very low side. After the filler dried, I sanded it to be as straight as possible, then I primed the whole side of the door under the plastic trim (so just the part of the door under the trim - using painters tape on the trim and nylon to protect the original paint), bed lined it and then paint it black (or whatever color you want and you can easily obtain - I used spray cans for convenience. I went all way to the trim so I will have an easier job when painting. The reason for bed liner is that being rougher in texture than paint, it looks more like an orange shell, and painting it is more forgiving if you don't keep a constant angle and paint flow (which is common with spray cans). You need to use paint over the bed liner so it would not fade, bed liner is not uv resistant.

Regarding the tailgate, you can either prep it yourself and just let a shop paint it, either bed line the whole thing then paint it. It will be more obvious than the doors though. The doors will look relatively good, and since the curvature is facing more the road, it won't be obvious that you did anything funny there. Plus, it's a jeep, it's supposed to look rough.

So you have a choice to have it look good, on a budget with your work, let it rust and look bad, or let a shop do it and look very good, but at a big price.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:24 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
http://www.linex.com/bedliners/xtra

My brother put a layer of this stuff in red, on a Ford Festiva. Got t-boned by a Ford Ranger. Blew a tire, did some minor damage to the Rt rear quarter, taillight, and Bumper, and totaled the Ranger. The coating wasn't even scratched. Looks weird though. Has a texture like cottage cheese.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set