It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Excessive White smoke after MAP Cleaning and EHM
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

I was really planning on my first post being a Hey, how are you? just fished my first steps of maintenance on my new CRD. After doing the EHM and cleaning my MAP sensor I have white smoke pouring out my exhaust. On the first test drive I noticed some white smoke, so I hit the freeway to burn out some residual oil or something. it seemed to clear till i got home. The next drive the smoke came back faster and more intense that I actually smoked out a Cummins Dodge following me, he pulled over as a cloud of white smoke covered the street. Any Ideas or suggestions? I tried the search and it seems to be only about turbos or the hoses blowing up. Btw no power loss, it has 65k miles stock except the mods just mentioned. I have owned it for 2 weeks. Thanks in advance

82 VW rabbit truck aka Caddy
1.6diesel under construction but still runs

Post subject: Re: Excessive White smoke after MAP Cleaning and EHM
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:17 pm 
LOST Junkie

Has your oil level dropped? Check the oil. It sounds as though your turbo took a crap. What does the smoke smell like? Oil, diesel, coolant?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:21 am 
LOST Newbie

Update. Yes. checked oil earlier it was fine. did ORM and took another drive and then checked oil again. Well I guess I need more oil, and a turbo. :cry: So is it sheer coincidence that it happened on my first drive after MAP cleaning and EHM? Guess I have a lot more reading to do.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:25 am 
LOST Junkie

xseadogx wrote:
Update. Yes. checked oil earlier it was fine. did ORM and took another drive and then checked oil again. Well I guess I need more oil, and a turbo. :cry: So is it sheer coincidence that it happened on my first drive after MAP cleaning and EHM? Guess I have a lot more reading to do.

I'm afraid so. Talk about luck, or lack thereof. Be sure to get a NEW Garrett turbo, avoid the rebuilt ones! Don't keep running or driving until it is repaired or you may damage the engine.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:05 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

At least you didn't lose rockers/lifters when your turbo went. Turbo isn't bad at all, take your time, clean out the oil tubes, can do in your driveway in a couple hours.

EGR valve was more difficult, honestly.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

GDE ECO Tune / Fumoto Valve / E-Tecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs / 2nd Gen Fuel Head / Mishimoto RED Hoses / Rockers/Lifters @ 114k / Hayden FC + 11 Blade Nylon / Sears P1 Battery / Transgo 45RFE-HD2 Reprogramming Kit / Timken Front Bearings

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:13 am 
LOST Addict

If you end up needing a new turbo, we have a few in house for $800 plus shipping. This is much cheaper than other places. I am surprised you do not have a CEL. do you have a good code reader to check the stored fault codes?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

No CEL's, no access to a reader, I guess I'll take you up on your offer for the turbo,And have to get the GDE code reader sooner, than later(getting a tune will have to be a silver lining).
The worst part is that I was trying to clean out the cat with the smoke, so I really hope nothing got messed up. like the rockers mentioned above. time to go get dirty.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:05 pm 
LOST Addict

Does it make boost? rev engine to 2700 rpm and see if the hoses flex and get pressurized. The white smoke could also be an injector issue and not turbo. You can check the vane movement at idle in park. Pull vacuum line off top of turbo, control arm below actuator should drop about 1/2 in and rise back up when vacuum is plugged back in.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:24 pm 
LOST Junkie

GreenDieselEngineering wrote:
Does it make boost? rev engine to 2700 rpm and see if the hoses flex and get pressurized. The white smoke could also be an injector issue and not turbo. You can check the vane movement at idle in park. Pull vacuum line off top of turbo, control arm below actuator should drop about 1/2 in and rise back up when vacuum is plugged back in.

His oil loss is what leads me to think it is the turbo. Continued running of the engine could cause damage quickly...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well there is plenty of oil, it's just on the skid plates. I had been wondering where it was hiding. With my limited time I took the skids off and chased the oil leak up to the air side of the turbo, and there was about a tablespoon or more of oil in the top hose after I drained it. So I definitely don't want to start it again. I started to move the air box and overflow but had to call it a night.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:41 am 
LOST Newbie

So after reading, rereading, and saving a few threads. I want to get my shopping list for sure.
Turbo
Turbo gasket
Samcos
Airbox to turbo hose
Oil and filter

Not sure if I need these or just a good cleaning?
Oil lines, or just replace crush washers?

Any suggestions?
And again Thanks for the help

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:36 am 
LOST Junkie

The air side of the turbo? Do you have excessive blowby or the EHM? Maybe someone else can confirm this, but if you have oil leaking on the air side, that may be from the crankcase vent system. Oil there is normal, enough that it is leaking is not. I would confirm this before tearing into a turbo. You may have another issue all together.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

Pretty sure it is the air side, but didn't have time to get up or down to it. I was running the truck just after the EHMod and MAP cleaning. I used .75'' heater hose with a chunk of a litter box air filter rolled into the end sitting in a homemade catch can. There was a little drop of water in the can. With the CAC hose puncture problem, you don't lose oil though right? I'll double check the original CCV hose and see if it had a lot of oil in it

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:45 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

xseadogx wrote:

I am thinking you should stop reading? The CRD newb guide is not gospel, I never read it myself? :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:46 pm 
LOST Addict

I believe you screwed up the EHM. If the crankcase is not vented, you will blow plumes of white smoke out the exhaust. Remove the hose from the cam cover and it should stop smoking. If not, it will soon blow oil out of the rear main seal. Also, make sure on the line to the turbo that it did not suck the plug into the turbo.

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

Last edited by DOC4444 on Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:05 pm 
LOST Member

DOC's post is the first one to make sense to me, although I can't think how an EHM could be screwed up.

This is where it would be good if your state, province, or country were posted under your avatar. These symptoms are exactly what you could expect from an EH that froze shut.

Post subject: Excessive White smoke after MAP Cleaning and EHM
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:04 pm 
LOST Junkie

TJ2 wrote:
DOC's post is the first one to make sense to me, although I can't think how an EHM could be screwed up.

This is where it would be good if your state, province, or country were posted under your avatar. These symptoms are exactly what you could expect from an EH that froze shut.

I think this is what happened to me this winter when he had a week of 0 degree weather. My ehm dumps rights by my oil drain valve and one morning it smoked white for a little bit. Hasn't done it since

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

jws84_02 wrote:
TJ2 wrote:

I think this is what happened to me this winter when he had a week of 0 degree weather. My ehm dumps rights by my oil drain valve and one morning it smoked white for a little bit. Hasn't done it since

I am thinking, if you do not have the EGR dumping soot and mixing with the oil, why do you need this CCV bypass? I have never seen a diesel with the EGR disabled cause any type of build up in the manifold from the CCV, and I have owned a lot of CCV equipped diesels.

Oops, I almost forgot about that $40 hose that might rot due to CCV oil, or might just dry out from the heat of the turbo?

According to the poll they go bad with or without the CCV mod.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=60636

So is risking an expensive seal job and maybe destroying your engine is worth $40 every 100K, that you are going to spend modded or not?

I can not understand why newbs are told they desperately need to do this?

:ALONE:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:40 am 
LOST Newbie

After reading Doc's post I realized I didn't drill vent holes in the top of the bottle that I made for my my EHM like I originally had planned. So I went and blew on it to see if it would allow air to escape and didn't. I had a little time and checked the turbo and rear main seal, oil is coming out the intake side definitely but no a lot, the rear main, it was fine. I am getting seeping from the front main seal. I drained the oil and have probably 3 quarts not counting in the filter. So with the oil loss not being from the turbo do I still have to worry as bad about starving the vital parts? Or is the amount lost too much?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:00 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

xseadogx wrote:
After reading Doc's post I realized I didn't drill vent holes in the top of the bottle that I made for my my EHM like I originally had planned. So I went and blew on it to see if it would allow air to escape and didn't. I had a little time and checked the turbo and rear main seal, oil is coming out the intake side definitely but no a lot, the rear main, it was fine. I am getting seeping from the front main seal. I drained the oil and have probably 3 quarts not counting in the filter. So with the oil loss not being from the turbo do I still have to worry as bad about starving the vital parts? Or is the amount lost too much?

OH Boy, I really hope you did not screw up your engine with this mod?