It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dash light flare up
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:52 am 
LOST Addict

My dash back lighting has always flared up occasionally from new i.e. briefly gone to full brighness and then back to its current setting. I never bothered raising this with the dealer because I knew it would come back NFF.

It used to do it maybe once or twice a month but just recently it's gotten a lot more regular like a couple of times in a half hour journey.

I know there are a number of members that have experienced this. Has anyone got to the bottom of it?

Post subject: Re: Dash light flare up
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:59 am 
LOST Junkie

dirtmover wrote:
My dash back lighting has always flared up occasionally from new i.e. briefly gone to full brighness and then back to its current setting. I never bothered raising this with the dealer because I knew it would come back NFF.

It used to do it maybe once or twice a month but just recently it's gotten a lot more regular like a couple of times in a half hour journey.

I know there are a number of members that have experienced this. Has anyone got to the bottom of it?

The dash back-lighting is dimmed by the one stalk switch on the steering column so I would suspect that the Multifunction Switch which consists of both the stalk switches may be faulty.

You can check the wiring by downloading the 2006 Service Manual from the link in SAMS NOOB Guide....includes circuit diagrams....you may have a wiring problem somewhere otherwise.

As stated in another thread here...the 2006 CRD has a known problem that the wire harness entering the cabin from the engine bay may get pinched to chassis behind the fuel filter mounting bracket....any funny electrical problems on a 2006 CRD...remove this bracket and check wiring underneath. I have not yet checked the wiring diagram to check if this area of the harness is relevant to your problem though but bear this issue in mind. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:22 pm 
LOST Junkie

Mine does it too. Always has. No idea what it is, and I have not worried about it, haha.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:31 pm 
LOST Member

Mine did that for about 2 weeks and then it stopped working at all. Leaving my dash at the brightest setting, about a month ago. When I turn the knob to illuminate the interior, it does not work anymore. I haven't tried to fix it yet but if I would i would order something like this.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/multi-function-switch-with-fog-lamp-56010126af-m.html
Check the parts fiche to be sure you get the correct one.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:58 am 
LOST Junkie

Yeah if you replace the Multifunction Switch make sure you get the correct one...depends on if you have front fog lamps fitted or not! You need to download the Parts Fiche to check. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:53 am 
LOST Addict

I wasn't too worried about it when it was happening infrequently but since the dash light intensity is controlled by the BCM rather than directly by the dimmer control I'm more concerned about the integrity of the BCM.

Dash lights are not a problem but I don't want to loose exterior lights or the ability to start the vehicle because I neglected to diagnose a failing BCM early enough.