It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GOING PRICE FOR A WATER PUMP REPLACEMENT
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:48 am 
LOST Member

Hey all, I;m having my timing belt changed and wanted the water pump replaced at the same time. I'm told by the dealer that the cost would be $740 to add the water pump to the job. Anyone have any experience on this it seems really high?

Thanks,

GDE ECO Tune
Fumoto
Samco Hoses

Post subject: Re: GOING PRICE FOR A WATER PUMP REPLACEMENT
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:14 pm 
LOST Addict

Ask what the price is for just the pump. Also, you can save a lot of labor by leaving the back of the old pump in place and just replacing the front.

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I suspect, Sir Sam or perhaps geordi will know for sure, that the WP adds about 1 hr of labor plus the part so that seems rather high especially since last I paid attention a dealer TB with WP job (parts and labor) was on the order of $1,200-1,500.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:45 pm 
LOST Member

My local $tealership quoted me $2200 Parts and labor fo TB, WP, TB tensioner and rollers. Got it done for $1200 at an actual diesel shop. Pee on the dealer. Call around. There is a list by state on here somewhere, you'd have to search it.

2005 Blue KJ Sport CRD, GDE, Magnaflow muffler, Destination AT, Amsoil filters, Fumoto, Timing belt and waterpump @ 99,600, 11 blade nylon fan, 2905 hayden fan clutch, EURO TC

Arguing about whether the glass is half full or half empty misses the point: the bartender cheated you.
Unknown

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:51 pm 
LOST Member

Here it is:

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=60730&hilit=diesel+shops+by+state

2005 Blue KJ Sport CRD, GDE, Magnaflow muffler, Destination AT, Amsoil filters, Fumoto, Timing belt and waterpump @ 99,600, 11 blade nylon fan, 2905 hayden fan clutch, EURO TC

Arguing about whether the glass is half full or half empty misses the point: the bartender cheated you.
Unknown

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:10 am 
LOST Member

I came across the same issue when i was shopping round for the timing belt replacement job now manual say 6 hours for that and 6 hours for water pump separate but when you get them done in one go overlap take care of most and we agreed to pay one hour extra and settle the job for 7 hours of labor, so shop around and get one of the recommended diesel shop nearest to you.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:21 am 
LOST Member

Thanks everyone, I'm stuck with this dealer because it's part of a deal I made when I purchased the CRD however, I was not smart enough to include the water pump at the time. The price for the water pump is $325. The dealer charges $125/hr shop rate so they are charging about 3 hours plus the price of the pump. I'm going to try to get the pump at cost to reduce the cost alittle. I normally would not use a dealer for anything.

Thanks,

GDE ECO Tune
Fumoto
Samco Hoses

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:42 pm 
LOST Junkie

I had gotten a quote from someone I know for 5.2 hours to do the timing belt job. Adding the water pump was another .5 hours. I forget what program they used. I was hoping to do it myself with some help soon, still am. Money is tight due to some health troubles that had me not working until the past few days. The price that dealer is quoting you is very high! I know there is markup on the parts, but wow, that labor is insane. FWIW, the pump, my cost, from Mopar is about $210.00 plus shipping. Try to get them to replace only the front half of the pump. That will save a bunch of labor time.