It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alternator decoupler and other rolling pulleys
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:48 pm 
LOST Member

Hi lately I have been having a chirping sound and it has been diagnosed as a bad decoupler pulley so instead of replacing that I thought of getting reman. Alternator including decoupler for 150 bucks with lifetime warranty from Oz now I am wondering if I can replace the other rolling pulleys on serp belt too I think there are two of them and Napa generic one can be used as a replacement. I just need the part numbers or description of those to let NaPa guys get me the right stuff. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Alternator decoupler and other rolling pulleys
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:08 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

NAPA 36101 (just lose the big washer) or Precision Parts EP101 for serp belt idlers

While in there if you have your fan off I'd recommend replacing the fan clutch with a Hayden 2905 heavy duty clutch (ca. $50 from Amazon at least in the US) which is much better than stock and kicks in sooner than stock if the coolant temp starts to go up. Also consider a fan shroud mod for access viewtopic.php?f=98&t=64278&p=709322#p709322

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:48 pm 
LOST Junkie

As far as the pulley's I used OEM. Belt? I only use Goodyear Gatorback belts on everything I drive.

K&N Air Filter, 2nd gen Fuel filter head
NEW Rockers & lifters
Mobil 1 0w-40
Stant 13519 195 deg inline Thermostat.
0 281 002 845 MAP
Etecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs
Advance Gold 800CCA Battery
Traded it for a Quality VW TDI

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:58 pm 
LOST Junkie

Should the serpentine belt pullies/tensioner be replaced at the timing belt service interval? I was thinking of doing mine. I try to run Gates belts on my American vehicles, and Contitech on my European vehicles... if Conti is not available, I get Gates. I have also been known to run Dayco on my S10, but it seems to me that they crack sooner, but that may be my imagination. I I need to do my timing belt service asap!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:13 pm 
LOST Member

I did my serp. Belt (gates) with timing belt and kinda skimped on the other pulleys and lo behold it came back to bite me in the rear end within 3000 miles.

Last edited by Srytrucker on Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:16 pm 
LOST Member

Just for reference I think I need 3 one for tensioner and 2 rollers. Confirmed need 3.

Last edited by Srytrucker on Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:43 pm 
LOST Member

Srytrucker,

Regarding your first post about alternator decoupler:

I wonder how good quality our OEM alternators is??? People here have bought Autozone alternators with decoupler and a lifetime warranty.

The guys at TDIclub think the VW OEM alternators and starters are good, and the replacement (ie Autozone) are Chinese garbage. Decouplers are changed out and both starters and alternators rehabbed. Litens makes a good decoupler in Canada.

Are our starters and alternators throw-away stuff? I really don't know.

PS If one manufacturer (nominally) located in the US starts sourcing Chinese bearings, the rest will soon follow.

Last edited by TJ2 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:54 pm 
LOST Member

Alternator is not the problem OEM is Denso read Toyota made in Japan but the decoupler goes and to replace you are looking at 70-80 bucks now most CRD are getting old people tend to replace the whole unit for lack of break downs down the road and lifetime warranty helps Autozone has Chinese units and some issues noted but Advance Auto and Oriely has US reman. Units with lifetime warranties so hopefully will provide better service.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:41 am 
LOST Junkie

MRausch82 wrote:
I have also been known to run Dayco on my S10, but it seems to me that they crack sooner, but that may be my imagination.

Not your imagination. I worked for one employer where we used Goodyear belts and then another employer where we used Dayco belts on the exact same application. I found the Dayco belts had about half the life span and stretched a lot more.

Provent @ 43,000 km
SEGR in progress
SAMCO Sport hoses @ 48500 km
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:04 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Been searching for the actual service intervals on accessory pulleys and tensioner. Did anyone figure out what/if the formal numbers are? I suspect at 10Xk miles, I need to just replace all the idlers and the tensioner on the accessory system, but I still want to know how long Jeep/Mopar/VM say they're supposed to last.

Dan

Fumoto drain | ProVent CCV Filter
Stanadyne FM100 filter | Cummins fuel pump
GDE Eco | SEGR | BoulderBars | FrankenLift | Frankenskids

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

dgeist - I've not seen a formal pulley change/service interval and unfortunately my experience with bearings of identical quality is that actual life span can be surprisingly uneven. Best I can say is weigh and balance recommended change interval of associated items vs how hard is the pulley to get to vs. what do you actually see while doing the service. A couple of examples when recently doing my serpentine and timing belts at ca. 50,000 miles, about time on the serp belt but early and based on years for the TB:
1. serpentine belt bearings are easy to get at and none were leaking grease so I reused.
2. timing belt pulley(s)/tensioner are hard to get too but both idlers were leaking grease so I replaced them but tensioner was not leaking grease so I left it alone. As those TB items are not accessible unless doing a timing job I would assume a minimum estimated life of 100,000 miles which is the recommend TB interval based solely on mileage.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs