It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: to remove or not remove engine
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:07 pm 
LOST Newbie

After hours of bending over doing a head gasket, studs and various mods and putting them back, I'm thinking it would make more sense to pull the engine, stick on stand and save my back on my #2 crd. any opinions
I have an overhead chain fall trolly and lots of shop room.

Post subject: Re: to remove or not remove engine
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:10 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
That seems excessive to me, I do the same things to CRD motors, and while it is tiring... You don't know how much extra work it will be.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:10 am 
LOST Newbie

True, but you are an highly experienced and competent service provider. To you, time/efficiency is very important. When I was working, I was no different. However, at 72 and retired with zero time constraints the view is a bit different. I replaced every hose, modifying exhaust, pulled egr,water pump, thermostat, rockers, proven, amosil add on filter, etc.
At one point there was nothing attached except the mounts and xmission
I watched my local and competent Jeep service tech do a bare block engine replacement on a crd about a month ago which is when this thought occurred to me. He didn t tell me it was a bad idea, he just said that his shop procedures would not permit that approach with just a head job.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:13 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I guess you would have to check the shop manual for engine replacement time, or another member that did an engine replacement? I think I would rather just fix the engine in place, rather then all the extra labor to take it out, fix it, put it back.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:30 am 
LOST Addict

It is a bit longer process, with a chain fall it will go easier. You can make a lifting eyelet for back of head. An adjustable, low profile engine bracket helps. I remember hitting the firewall a few times. A lift would make disconnecting the bellhousing bolts and TC bolts easier. Using a tranny jack adapter to hold and adjust transmission angle helped with removal and assembly alignment.

Pulling the engine would be a good back saver if you had someone else pull the bellhousing bolts. Working on an engine stand is great especially for intake manifold assembly. It would be good time for a stronger torque converter is you still have a stock unit.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

Tks. For a couple of good suggestions.
I suspect the dealer tech has got a lifting jig for the crd. He s done two that I know of. I did not consider the torque convertor. I have not moved my boat with the jeep yet. I m a little nervous about bringing a 6000 lb boat up and off the ramp. My 3500 dodge needs weight in the bed and I still burn a little rubber. I only tow 20 miles twice a year. But I want to retire the dodge.