It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ultra-Gauge
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I put one of these in my Sprinter, and you can have up to 8 gauges on one page. I have heard that OBD gauges have been know to cause conflict with the CRD. Has any one tried the ultra-gauge? Besides that, it is a nice multi gauge for the money.

http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/index.htm

http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/T ... t_demo.htm

Post subject: Re: Ultra-Gauge
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:26 pm 
LOST Addict

Much cheaper than a Bully Watchdog, or whatever it's called. I suspect these things are in danger of being pushed out of the market by the Andriod Apps like Torque Pro which do pretty much the same thing for a few $ assuming you have an iphone or Android device and a cheap OBDII bluetooth plug.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

irollgen4s mentioned it a while back - haven't seen any updates after the original posts.

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=688350#p688350

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:23 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ATXKJ wrote:
irollgen4s mentioned it a while back - haven't seen any updates after the original posts.

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=688350#p688350

It looks like it is lacking in gauges when plugged into the CRD, most of the gauges are duplicates on what is on the dashboard.

When I plug it into my Sprinter I get over 50 gauges with very useful information.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:05 pm 
LOST Member

They have their place. As that they are a one off purchase, compatible with at least the 2006 CRD and give a myriad of information.

They are very capable but the CRD is not blessed with many sensors. Compared to the lights on the dash, the numbers tell me a whole lot more.

SO; I have one - not for long but no issues.

Straight up comms established (connection), subtle mounting with auto power down with ignition off and auto light level settings, I am running a splitter to 2 parallel com ports - one for the general stuff that I will get from the UltraGauge - mine cycles through 15 gauges on a number of screens - is compact and will give me a very good snapshot of what is happening.
If I forget my phone, :grim: I still have data.

ALSO:
I can mount it in parallel with an Elm scan (Wifi) device and smart phone - I know the baude will be lower but I can wear that or if I need more data logged I can a few options .

These vehicle are shy of sensors in the right places.

Plan is to eventually compensate for the extreme shortage of essential sensors through the Kiwi system of daisy chaining desired sensors over and above the hard wired ones I already run like EGT, Boost, intercooler air in and out (dual gauge display). I now have a check on boost. I could treble hook many gauges but the vehicle itself is the limitation.

The problem with the whole vehicle is if you are a data fiend, there are just not enough sensors supplied at the outset to get the most from whatever system you employ against what CJD provided us with.

The Smartphone and Pro Torque App can provide me with data logging and if I need to I can couple the AE in the system for much data logging should I run into trouble...that would give the phone and the AE data logging to let me monitor PIDs that glitch.

It is time for a trade-up in phone to a Smartphone due to family circumstances and this is how I will decided on the SmartPhone.

IMPORTANT NOTE: No evidence yet of the ScanGauge interrupts to a happy and contented ECU.

I now have a device that should serve as an Evic in the Ultra-Gauge package but that it the bit I haven't yet set up, nor the many warnings....but I tend to drive by the numbers which are easy to read and can be positioned at a comfortable level - I have just worked out a change that will allow a mount right next to the instrument panel giving continuity of data panorama.

It is a matter of deciding what YOU want. If I have an issue will go close to knowing what's cooking.
I don't have to touch a mobile phone to get data - and we al know how that is going - but I can if I need/want to and I don't have to carry my laptop with me.
I would've had too many gauges to fill in for those missing sensors.

Rules are harsh in Australia about touching a phone whilst driving.
You do not need to touch an Ultra-Gauge once set up.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:48 pm 
LOST Member

If this is a scanguage, I tried one about 3 years ago. It worked well, until the jeep reset the computers, then the readings went nuts. This happens after about 20 minutes of operation. Apparently, the jeep violates OBDII protocols and uses two engine computers, and one hands off to the other at a preset interval. During this hand off, the Scanguage gets fouled up. There was a lot on this at this website about 3 to 4 years ago. Possibly, Scanguage has fixed this--I would call the company and check before buying one.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:30 am 
LOST Member

I agree. ScanGauge II was not compatible with the Export 2006 CRD 2.8. I had to reset things with AE and then it would run along for a short time (I was lucky to get the 20 mins you did) then it began corrupting the cars systems. ScanGauge was not for my CRD.
What you describe re ScanGauge is absolutely correct.

This is Ultra-Gauge.....different animal and I have had no ECU corruption after running for a few hours.
I have not had to go into the system with Chrysler enhanced AE.
At the very least I have gained along term hour meter (in minutes). That is a useful indicator to me. Long term run and short trip. To install an hour meter it would've cost me at least USD80 for a VDO (delivered here) and then I have to fit it. This was plug and play. So for just my hour meter I am content but there is more info trickling from it as I get my head around it. I was planning on fitting hour meter but it was low on my list - I just have one now :D
I also have at my finger tips a code reader that tells me pending or embedded and CEL clear also.
That means if my wife has the Jeep she can phone me with codes and I can tell her to either tow, what to check or just shut down, wind the windows down then up and try a restart :rockon: .
What it can deliver is limited by the available CRD sensors.

At the price it has to have shortcomings.
I wouldn't rave - but it is a little better than OK but by no means fantastic in the KJ diesel. In its favour I haven't had time to get my head around what it can fully access yet.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:09 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Auberon wrote:
I wouldn't rave - but it is a little better than OK but by no means fantastic in the KJ diesel. In its favour I haven't had time to get my head around what it can fully access yet.

When you initially plug it in, how many gauges does it detect?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:21 am 
LOST Addict

Auberon wrote:
This is Ultra-Gauge.....different animal and I have had no ECU corruption after running for a few hours.

Interesting, so I wonder what they know about our CRD that the other tool manufacturers don't?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:18 am 
LOST Member

Apologies for the delay in reply.
Fist connection said 15 gauges but I am yet to see them.
So far the useful gauges I get are:
Accurate rpm
V batt (which is the same as U-Gauge V)
Hour meter (total run time) to 999.59 mins.
Throttle position %.
Pending Codes.
Clear codes but I haven't had to use either Pending codes or Clear.
Also U-Gauge temp but that is just the temp inside the cabin/gauge.
Sometimes Short trip hour meter is displayed (this one seems to be intermittent).

It is running on J1850 protocol. I gained nothing when I tried to force CAN and 1940.
They seem very aware of the baude rate limits of all ECU's.
I reckon this is why there have been no issues with comms.
I cannot link to any data relating to DISTANCE. That cuts out a lot of possibly available gauges.
That's OK for about 70USD as long as it sits solidly mounted in the corner between the dash shroud and A column doing just what it's doing now.
I think I've had no problems because I haven't pushed the refresh rate beyond the slowest rate of every 2 minutes

On to the Phone & APPs.
Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:37 pm 
LOST Addict

If you can you force it to use ISO9141-2 you may have many more PIDs available. At least this is the case with Torque.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:00 am 
LOST Member

You are, of course correct my - typing was terrible.
I tried to force it to read ISO 9141 not 1940 as I typed. That would indeed give data feed from pins #7 and #15....The little box didn't like my pushing it into that mode this time.
Will give it another shot and if I have any any luck advise.
Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:01 am 
LOST Member

After the Ultra-Gauge has been on for about 8 running hours I tried to force 9141 (thought it would be stable by now) after replacing 2 Glow plugs and I got start with error code self-cleared it U/Gauge indicated 42/79 gauges. Doing a longer run into mountains out of NW of Sydney tomorrow so will see what this reveals.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:56 am 
LOST Newbie

I am having an issue with my ultra-gauge, did anyone figure out if specific pins have to be bypassed or the refresh rate changed? BTW I have 43/80 guages but CEL lights, and after 10-20 mins of operation ultraguage shows 'err' on all screens.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:07 am 
LOST Addict

Please explain winding windows up and down as part of a "reboot".

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:45 am 
LOST Member

Sorry Doc the windows up and down comment was just tongue in cheek and kind of a reference to the early days of windows software coming over from the handy-dandy access that the DOS operating platform gave "in the know" operators.
The jeep platform is a bit like it - especially in the 06 models where it changed to being a bit less cooperative than the 05 series and before.

There are certain things you can ignore. Most are cleared by a simple shutdown and re-starting the ECU in countdown mode for example a phantom CEL which will go away after 5 warm-up/start cycles meaning it is of no consequence. It usually means with decent diagnostics there is nothing wrong - no residual codes or other issues.

nealio, The Ultra Gauge needs to be run on the slowest refresh rate. I think that is every 2 minutes. By the time it cycles through the gauges that is just about taken up. It states it somewhere in that horridly wordy manual for the thing.

It has a place for some things still like the hour meter and TPS but I have been concentrating on doing the timing belt job (gimped leg offers a truckload of pain all the time so being super-organised is critical often needing to walk away from the job immediately and just leave it. Pain is why I'm awake now and writing this at 0200 hours.

I liked the Ultragauge as it gave me a couple of gauges (for very little coin) that I was looking to fit but didn't have to worry about bumping my implanted pain control electronics modules. It does not give a lot. But it does not upset the ECU. Plans/priorities have changed - and I must admit I am remiss in leaving this just ticking over.

Working on cars with these implants and severe pain is tough.......and fitting extra gauges like a dual CAC gauge on the CAC for air temp in and out and how best to measure boost both near the turbo and after the turbo so I can gauge efficiency of the aftercooler has been taking up my time.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

Not only slow refresh rate but forcing the chrysler protocol. So far it appears to have solved my CEL and err issue but still monitoring.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:40 am 
LOST Newbie

anyone having luck with finding rail pressure values, cheaply? Looking into torque pro.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:39 am 
LOST Member

Today on a short run I got the following feedback:
Fuel P
Boost (which incidentally corresponds precisely with my stepper motor gauge)
MAP
MAF (g/s)
IAT
Water Temp
SPEED
Short trip run time
O/all run time
Long-term run time
V batt (per ECM)

Will report back when I know how long it reports these reliably (before something gets confuddled) bearing in mind mine is 2006 and if I can add any more. The fuel trim stuff was just not reported as it pick up no fuel sender signal.
Must say it is reassuring the more data I see regarding the happenings under that sheet of metal.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

After a month of farting around I admitted defeat and moved my ultraguage to another vehicle. I have a 2006 sport and after a loong but very supportive process with the UG staff we mutually decided UG is incompatible with my jeep on the current firmware. Maybe its just mine?