All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Ultra-Gauge
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Auberon wrote:
Today on a short run I got the following feedback:
Fuel P
Boost (which incidentally corresponds precisely with my stepper motor gauge)
MAP
MAF (g/s)
IAT
Water Temp
SPEED
Short trip run time
O/all run time
Long-term run time
V batt (per ECM)

Will report back when I know how long it reports these reliably (before something gets confuddled) bearing in mind mine is 2006 and if I can add any more. The fuel trim stuff was just not reported as it pick up no fuel sender signal.
Must say it is reassuring the more data I see regarding the happenings under that sheet of metal.

How long did you have it installed? Is there much difference between the AU and US CRD?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:24 am 
LOST Member

That's sad - after all that effort.
I suspect I won't have reliable gauge reporting - as in continuous - but will advise.
There must be some subtle differences between your 06 Sport & Mine. Also been thinking about the other questions raised in this thread and what I come up with so far is:
As it's an Export and not monitoring the baggage of EGR I may have enough spare memory to make a link. :ROTFL:
I also kept it out of Jeeps hands since well before they tried F-37 here. They haven't laid eyes on her as they corrupted everything they touched. You chaps know the drill.
If it stops after 20 mins or so (which I suspect) I will still get them back on restart to get an overview so I'll live with that.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:32 am 
LOST Member

Ultragauge keeps reporting for the most part - it has the odd drop out but I think that is due to internal cabin temp. It has been terribly hot here at times and it is supposed to switch off at elevated ambient temps.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:57 am 
LOST Newbie

I have the f37 and I suspect thats where the problem really lies. If its pre F37 then it seems to work. Post F37 no go. I just got the green deisel eco tune. I have will have to ask Keith if he can do anything...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:05 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

nealio wrote:
I have the f37 and I suspect thats where the problem really lies. If its pre F37 then it seems to work. Post F37 no go. I just got the green deisel eco tune. I have will have to ask Keith if he can do anything...

F37 is in the TCM AFAIK?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:09 pm 
LOST Newbie

So any other hypothesis why the ultraguage works in the older crd's but not the newer?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:20 pm 
LOST Junkie

How does the OEM temperature gauge work? Is it controlled by the computer? Is it connected directly to the sending unit?

If it is controlled by the sending unit and reads accurately, could somebody make a graduated overlay for it so you could tell what temperature you are actually running?

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 142,000 miles New engine 2-2014, Green Eco tune, FS2500 bypass filter Weeks elbow, European Torque converter, brakes front UCA's wheel bearing and front hubs. Front hitch OEM lift pump
98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td
94 K3500 cc srw 5 speed 6.5td
91 International Model 6 speed spicer 4700

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:37 pm 
LOST Addict

jrsavoie wrote:
How does the OEM temperature gauge work? Is it controlled by the computer? Is it connected directly to the sending unit?

If it is controlled by the sending unit and reads accurately, could somebody make a graduated overlay for it so you could tell what temperature you are actually running?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=75603

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:19 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The CRD KJ Anti-lock Braking System is not a team player, and is specific to the Diesel communication intranet
- any scanner being used to get real-time rolling data is talking\requesting, then listening for response
- ABS is talking\requesting then listening for response when wheel speed-sensors indicate vehicle movement
- unfortunately, ABS has no 'buss-busy' flag to put it on 'wait-to-talk' when other devices are using the comunications buss
- ABS just buts-in, talking\requesting without regard that buss is already busy
- result: contention, bumping scanner off-line and logging ABS errors, which must be cleared with DCJ-compliant scanner\resetter

Scantool mfr's cannot overcome this 'defect' in the KJ's intranet
- ABS, being critical safety device, gets first choice in the system intranet, but was not programmed to share
- the other KJ smart-modules were programmed to allow for this 'defect', so there is no intranet contention
- DCJ dealer scantools are seldom used for real-time data collection rolling down the street, but no reports of contention
- aftermarket scantools seem functional when KJ is in PARK, not so much when polling data in DRIVE and rolling

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

So I got another UG for the Jeep, in some ways I wish we had a cat sensor, but otoh they like to cause CELs so maybe a pyrometer is actually cheaper?

So far I am monitoring Boost, Rail Pressure, Engine temp, voltage, intake temp, and MPG. I might switch the intake to Load, but I do have 5 more screens and can have 8 parameters per screen but he requires switching and more then I need.

I have only fastened it to the radio with blue painters tape for now, no sense in getting too permenant unless it does not screw up on me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Review my previous post above yours: every available after-market real-time scanner interferes with ABS function shortly after shifting into DRIVE and wheel speed-sensors begin to indicate vehicle movement - if UG shows no symptoms and the ABS indicator doesn't alarm during the first trip to the store or grandma's house, maybe this one will be functional, and everyone will want one - certainly looks better than ScanGauge, eh

Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

gmctd wrote:
Review my previous post above yours: every available after-market real-time scanner interferes with ABS function shortly after shifting into DRIVE and wheel speed-sensors begin to indicate vehicle movement - if UG shows no symptoms and the ABS indicator doesn't alarm during the first trip to the store or grandma's house, maybe this one will be functional, and everyone will want one - certainly looks better than ScanGauge, eh

So far it has passed the 1st test, the trip to grandmas up a steep hill pedal to the metal. Keep in mind the 06 OBD has less problems then the 05.

I have had one in my Sprinter for over a year now, and yeah it is much nicer then the Scangauge for a permenant install. I think it can even read a few more things that the scangauge wont like BS1 and BS2 on the cat.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:06 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Both '05 and '06 KJ CRD are the only EFI systems that encounter any malfunction with ScanGauge and others - we all tried that back in ought seven, or so - no others have since showed functional - only DCJ's MOBILE STARSCAN has proved functional for monitoring the 2.8L CRD KJ in motion

People got aftermarket real-time scanners and power boxes in their MB Sprinter, Cummins Ram, GM Dmax, Ford Powerstroke, etc, etc - reasonably certain there is absolutely zero similarity between any of those and the DCJ KJ CRD system, so wouldn't be wise to compare any of those as justification for ignoring pertinent data previously accrued on this KJ forum

Point being: caution

All that is required is for the attached scanner to check for bus traffic and immediately pause and go tri-state to prevent contention with ABS, which is specific to this CRD system only - CPU operation is several orders of magnitude faster than bus speed, so it could be done if OE's were willing to modify their systems for the zero-market of the KJ CRD - so far, none have been willing to do so, considering our limited dead-end market

What is scary is the scanners interfere with ABS function\control of the brakes - who wants that at any speed, even in the driveway?

So, be very cautious - if the ABS indicator comes on, stop, kill the engine, dis-connect the UG, crank it back up, if you can clear the DTC's with UG, re-connect and do so, dis-connect it again B4 shifting into DRIVE and proceed cautiously from there -

Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears

Last edited by gmctd on Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:52 pm 
LOST Member

Cool. Look forward to hearing more reports on this flman.

I've used DashCommand on my iphone with a wifi dongle and rarely get dropouts while driving around. But they do happen.

Tow Package | Engine/Tranny/TC Skids | Fumoto F102S | Roof Rack | USA Spec PA-11CHR | EVIC | auto dimming mirror | Yoko Geolander A/T-S LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:58 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

GM, the 06 is CAN while the 05 is ISO, the 06 has no problem with the NY DMV OBD emissions inspection, and the 05 does, my Innova 3160 works fine on my 06 for others with the 05 it does not work. There is a difference between the 2. If it causes me hiccups, I will put it in my other Sprinter.

One of the earlier posters to this thread has had no problems with the UG.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

05 Problems viewtopic.php?p=814456#p814456

06 None viewtopic.php?p=688449#p688449

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Protocol understood - testing is good - no problem with testing - and thanks for the links
- again, ScanGauge caused ABS brake failure in both '05 and '06 protocols
- point is, if you get an ABS indicator and UG hiccup, do not ignore it - take the action I indicated to restore ABS function B4 proceeding

Complete success will encourage me to get one and do further testing on my '05 to investigate in\compatibility - and I have one other trick up my sleeve to enhance '05 compatibility with STARSCAN

Previous SG test-to-failure was verified with AUTOENGINUITY ENHANCED and DRBIII

I have not yet purchased UG because the big 24v Ram is EDGE'ed, but is pre-CRD

Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears

Last edited by gmctd on Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

gmctd wrote:
Protocol understood - testing is good - no problem with testing - and thanks for the links
- again, ScanGauge caused ABS brake failure in both '05 and '06 protocols
- point is, if you get an ABS indicator and UG hiccup, do not ignore it - take the action I indicated to restore ABS function B4 proceeding

Complete success will encourage me to get one and do further testing on my '05 to investigate in\compatibility - and I have one other trick up my sleeve to enhance compatibility with STARSCAN

Previous SG test-to-failure was verified with AUTOENGINUITY ENHANCED and DBIII

I have not yet purchased UG because the big 24v Ram is EDGE'ed, but is pre-CRD

UG is pretty cheap to buy, and pretty sure you can return it if it does not work out?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:03 am 
LOST Member

UG continues to run (for the most part) on my Export 06 CRD in order of 28 000km continually.
As I wrote not great but better than adding gauges for each parameter it is capable of measuring.

I am still unsure which is the most revealing protocol. 1850 or 1941. However, I would disagree that CAN is the best it displays nothing in CAN and that does cause the BUS to default. This is the communications protocol (commsys) between the modules and it CANNOT be interrupted EVER! CAN will close the commsys down completely.

ABS overrides all data a sit takes priority by design. Safety gets the most consistent traffic around the LAN. For those critical - this is current stock standard practice for control of engineering processes. It is a bit before its time for s simple vehicle but compare it to the MB supercars where there are over a hundred computers communicating through a CAN LAN with one even on each window winder and the rain sensor (as there are on Jeep Grands). On Jeep grand if window is replace it needs a reset at the dealer for the rain sensor.

[b]CAN is a LAN.[/b] and that is all in twisted wire form. Pure and simple. Like 0's and 1's CAN is, after all, High and Low only.....allowing prioritising of messages and safety messages get HIGHEST priority, then misfires etc....hence, ABS' ability to override all other incoming data. Just as it is supposed to do.

Safety Priority 1
Read DATA is ISO.
The commsys is CAN.

To add some understanding to this....the only way a unit can work is to operate purely and ABSOLUTELY as a true "SLAVE". This word is important in the relevant language installation as a slave is utterly CRITICAL to get a moderately continual read without interference with the bus. It can draw no power from the system. It cannot be relied upon to read data and use the power to transmit that data to the device. EVER. The Code reader can only display data at best must never become part of the loop unless it has the capability of isollating and testing per known parameters.

This is a fundamental premise of Hacking automotive data.....remain undetectable by the system and this is Hacking not simple reading.
Probably why Giotto does it better as its independently driven via the CPU as a SLAVE until asked for more on special performance occasions (diagnostics).

It has to draw power from the 12V supply only and data is piggy-backed from DLC. This is fundamental to any system (including for the most part the CJD systems) but they are able to communicate both ways on the bus. If you don't understand this look at using Arduino and RasberyPI programming as hacking tools.

It drops the ability to display occasionally but the only consequence is that the display goes blank occasionally. Nothing else is affected.

I am heading to sorting the reason for this myself.....UlltragGauge folk were next to useless. It (Jeep) still operates perfectly normally.
It is NOT what has been mooted here.

I leave it on CONTINUALLY ...that's right ALL the time and take what I can read from it.
I have forced the 9141 protocol.
It has caused NO INTERRUPTION to my cars' running.
However, UltraGauge were next to useless with answers to questions and almost condescending.
The ticket system they use is downright useless and terribly time consuming.

On the comment that it displays what is on the dash:
Seriously, It is NOT displaying just what is displayed by the vehicle.
Where do you get Boost (absolute MAP), MAF - constantly , IAT, Coolant temp in degrees and Calculated engine load etc.....and as I have the Sport where do I get other gauges?

That MAF reading is more than useful than at idle. It tells you when the thing is tending to over fuel/under air. Once you know the pattern. If a hose blows you know for sure rather than listening to whistles and if your air intake system is functioning within normal known parameters for a given engine load.

There's more benefit but I don't have the time to justify it to the non-believers.
Starscan and DRBIII apply to different years with the changeover being 05 to 06.