It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: KEY - STUCK...
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi All,

Ignition key is stuck in lock, will start, run, but won't turn back all the way to remove key.

Does anyone know if this is an electrial locked/or mechanical lockled lock (that prevents from removing key in lets say "R".
Almost seems like it's related to shifter position ?.

Gabe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:42 pm 
LOST Addict

Yes, jiggle the shifter in park.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:06 pm 
LOST Member

I just recently took my shifter loose so I could get the plastic cover that has the prndL1L2 off to polish it because it had some scratches in it and when I put it back with the allen screw when I tightened it too much I could not get the shifter all the way back into park so I backed out the screw and all was back to normal except the shifter cover still comes up a little bit and when that happenes I notice it will not let me take the key out of the ignition so I have to make sure it is all the in the down position I need to talk to a tech at the dealer to see what I am doing wrong in regards to that screw that holds the shifter cover in place. I hope my story helps a little bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks!, yes wiggle the shifter a lot seems to do it, key is out again.
Also took the shifter cover off, and can see the knob that you squeeze to get it out of "P" lifts a metal rod up/down, which also seems spring loaded to return the metal rod.
When it does not return all the way up in "P" or N" your key will be stuck because the cable that unlocks the keylock on the key cylinder does no go back enough.
Oiled shifter, cables, the works. does not seem to make much difference, I think a spring or something related has become weak and needs firm "P" action now to release.

Thanks for the help!

Gab.

Post subject: Re: KEY - STUCK...
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:03 am 
LOST Member

I have this problem and it has steadily gotten worse. I have done the jiggling, the moving, etc which has worked but it becoming less effective. Does anyone know of a way to disable the interlock or the part numbers for the metal rod and spring in the shifter so I can replace them out? Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:41 am 
LOST Junkie

JDaPP wrote:
I have this problem and it has steadily gotten worse. I have done the jiggling, the moving, etc which has worked but it becoming less effective. Does anyone know of a way to disable the interlock or the part numbers for the metal rod and spring in the shifter so I can replace them out? Thanks.

I have posted this link in the General Discussion section as well:

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/key-stuck-ignition-fix-35927/

Does not affect me because I drive a manual! :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:57 am 
LOST Addict

You can probably pull the lever through it's range without having to press the button on the shifter?

There's a two piece spring loaded plastic push rod that connects the button on the lever to the rest of the mechanism below. The spring is supposed to be kept under tension but the piece of plastic that retains this tension is tiny and weak and breaks off.

I found out just out of warranty that this $2 part is not available so the whole shift lever has to be replaced for $$$. I made a replacement out of metal.

You may wish to simply disable the interlock altogether.

Another piece of stellar Chrysler engineering.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:27 am 
LOST Member

I still have to push the button but it is real weak to return. I will take it apart and see if I can use some of the techniques from the link above. That explains why I couldn't find the part number though. I hate chrysler. Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:40 am 
LOST Member

Thanks for all the help. Used the spring technique on pg 3 of the link above, so far so good. I also found that if I took the palm of my hand and gave the shift lever a good pop from behind that worked every time, or as they say 60% of the time it works every time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:33 am 
LOST Addict

I cut the cable on the shifter interlock and don't miss it one bit. :-)r

K&N, Samco Hoses, Michelin 245/70-16 LTX A/T2, Fumoto F-102, V-Force Muffler, Mopar, Hitch, Trailer Wiring, Skid Plates, Slush Mats, Rear Shelf, Predator Stage 1, Transgo, ORM & CodeReader, Facet 40109 Pump
"IT'S A DIESEL THING, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND"
Certified Services Auto & Truck Repair

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:09 pm 
LOST Member

There appears to be a rash of the key getting stuck in the ignition as mine would not come out this morning. Wiggling the shifter does not help me my case. The only way I could/can get my key out is to do as was suggested in the links below.

I followed this link: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/key-st ... fix-35927/ to this YouTube video link: 2005 Jeep Liberty Stuck Key - YouTube and after watching the video found that I had the same issue with the cable not fully returning to the key cylinder mechanism to allow key removal.

To remove my key all I have to do is slightly push the cable forward on the shifter mechanism beneath the silver shifter cover and the key can easily be removed. Now when I reinsert the key I have the same problem all over again. You can actually see the cable move ~ 1/16" back towards the shifter as soon as the key is turned forward and does not return when trying to turn the key back to the fully off position.

So the question is did the plastic that retains the tension on the spring and the two piece plastic push rod break off?? Any pictures of what this piece looks like?

Also does anyone have any other suggestions for retensioning this spring? If not it looks like I'll have to disassemble the whole shifter and take a closer look.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:24 pm 
LOST Member

Mine got really bad, where the only thing that worked was smacking the stick from behind to help push the cable forward. I added a helper spring as discussed in the link posted 2 up from my last post. I have had no issues since then.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:46 am 
LOST Member

JDaPP wrote:
Mine got really bad, where the only thing that worked was smacking the stick from behind to help push the cable forward. I added a helper spring as discussed in the link posted 2 up from my last post. I have had no issues since then.

Whoops - I missed that post. I went out and bought the spring so I'll put that in according to the post to see if that resolves my issue.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:52 pm 
LOST Member

Well the KJ referenced in the pics from the spring repair fix link must be an '05 as the shifter cable retainer was different on my '06 - it did not have the slits in the retainer to hook the spring to. I had to find a different spot to attach the spring on mine. Also the spring did not quite take care of the spring return on mine as I had to loosen the set screw on the shifter knob and readjust the knob/lever height on mine so the key could be removed when in park.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:43 pm 
LOST Member

Yep. Having the key-stuck, no locking shifter issue myself.

Stealership just quoted $950 to fix. I told them either I'm smoking crack, or I just heard them give a stupidly expensive price for a small problem.

Told them to either bodger a fix, or put it back into minimum driving condition.

Going to try the spring-fix tomorrow.

If you're in New England and need your KJ TB done, PM me.

Retired:
Tractor: Dark Khaki '06 CRD Sport, GDE ECO & Trans Tunes, 2.5" lift + 245/75r16. - Sold 27Apr16
Ghost: Silver '06 KJ CRD Limited, bunch of goodies done - Sold 18Apr16

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:04 pm 
LOST Member

Try smacking the shifter with your hand from behind. That seemed to help in a pinch.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:18 pm 
LOST Member

JDaPP wrote:
Try smacking the shifter with your hand from behind. That seemed to help in a pinch.

I tried percussive calibration - no joy.

Retired:
Tractor: Dark Khaki '06 CRD Sport, GDE ECO & Trans Tunes, 2.5" lift + 245/75r16. - Sold 27Apr16

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:38 pm 
LOST Member

Tried the spring trick. No Joy.

Found an outfit that had a salvage 2007 Jeep Liberty (06 & 07 Libs used the same part) shift assembly. Bought it for $50+shipping. Item has a 6 month warranty on it. Should fix what ails me.

Retired:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

Regarding stuck key: What worked for me was a solution found on another Jeep forum. Put shifter in Low gear to access set screw near base of shifter knob. Set screw takes a torx driver but I used an Allen key with no problem. Loosen screw all the way . Lift knob up and hold while retightening screw. The amount the knob raised was hardly noticeable but when I move shifter to Park the key comes out. Hope it lasts.