It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pulling engine on 2006 CRD.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:09 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Possibly, but both owners were international companies. At the same time, any business will do what is in their own best interest - in this case, (and most) whatever costs them the least in cash.

Witness the cold calculations that GM made about the explosive saddlebag gas tanks on their larger trucks. They figured out that it would be cheaper to pay the death and injury claims versus redesigning the truck the right way.

Same with Ford and the Pinto's gas tank. Ford had even DESIGNED AND TESTED a bladder-liner for the tank that WOULD NOT LEAK in the very type of accidents that doomed the design, and they had also designed it to come with AIRBAGS! That could have been the industry's shining star of safety... But it would have cost more money.

Cynical? Maybe. Cold? Certainly. Reality? Every bit of it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:00 pm 
LOST Member

DOn't know how far you are from west michigan. But local craigslist ad: parting out diesel liberty.

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/pts/4611887115.html

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:34 pm 
LOST Addict

geordi wrote:
Possibly, but both owners were international companies. At the same time, any business will do what is in their own best interest - in this case, (and most) whatever costs them the least in cash.

Witness the cold calculations that GM made about the explosive saddlebag gas tanks on their larger trucks. They figured out that it would be cheaper to pay the death and injury claims versus redesigning the truck the right way.

Same with Ford and the Pinto's gas tank. Ford had even DESIGNED AND TESTED a bladder-liner for the tank that WOULD NOT LEAK in the very type of accidents that doomed the design, and they had also designed it to come with AIRBAGS! That could have been the industry's shining star of safety... But it would have cost more money.

Cynical? Maybe. Cold? Certainly. Reality? Every bit of it.

You are definitely preaching to the choir here.... I am in full agreement here. :D I understand that consumer protection laws are way better in Germany... my friend's Father is from there and he often talks about how consumers are getting ripped off here in North America.

To dntlkbak:

It looks like finding a used one is the only way to go here... I'd try to get that one out of Michigan on Craigslist... sounds like a good lead.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:03 pm 
LOST Member

dntlkbak wrote:
Still havent repaired it yet but Iam now wanting to give it another try, still having a hard time finding a used engine or block. I went to 3 dealers a couple weeks ago and inquired about the cost of putting in a new engine, they said that it would be a new short block and with installation, taxes and core it would come to around $18000, Also they said that I cannot get a core exchange because it is a cracked engine block and Chrysler wont take it back. Chrysler have pissed in my cornflakes on this vehicle and I have lost all respect for that company, Whats worse is when it was first diagnosed by a dealer it was only 10,000km's over and just under 6 months off warranty and Chrysler would not do anything for me, not even suck up the labour for a replacement.

I JUST had a new long block installed in my jeep (Super long story) for $12K It would have been slightly cheaper if we hadnt spent so much time on the original engine deciding what to do. My engine had 131K before giving up the ghost. I REALLY hope this one lasts a bit longer....

Beaverton Oregon