It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Glow plugs, 5V or 7V?
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:15 am 
LOST Addict

I am just browsing here today but curious since I'm at 83,000 miles and not GP problems yet. I been wondering if I should change to metal soon or just have it done with the 100,000 mile service?

are the E techno 7v a lot better and cheaper than the new Oem 5v? I checked at today's exchange rate for the euro 4 of the 7v with standard shipping is $185 What is the 5v kit going for?

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:54 am 
LOST Junkie

I also have the original Plugs installed and working good @ 106k. I plan on changing mine to 7v steel. Cost is less and you do not need to flash the ECM.

With 5v steel GDE would flash for $50 + shipping. The Jeep Dealer is over that, + i don't want them to touch my Jeep.

K&N Air Filter, 2nd gen Fuel filter head
NEW Rockers & lifters
Mobil 1 0w-40
Stant 13519 195 deg inline Thermostat.
0 281 002 845 MAP
Etecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs
Advance Gold 800CCA Battery
Traded it for a Quality VW TDI

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:59 pm 
LOST Member

If I order the steel 7v drop ins and I have GDE Ecotune do I need to get it reflashed?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:38 pm 
LOST Member

JDaPP wrote:
If I order the steel 7v drop ins and I have GDE Ecotune do I need to get it reflashed?

nope, just droop them in and go :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:47 am 
LOST Member

Awesome, thanks. Follow on question, I have seen a couple of threads talking about I need a manifold gasket when I do the replacement. Is there anything else I need?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:55 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

That should be all. See how to's at viewtopic.php?f=5&t=56696&p=630729&hilit=glow+removal#p630729 and viewtopic.php?f=98&t=70159

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

I just had our jeep throw a P0671. Glowplug #1. Cleared this a couple of times. But

I called my mechanic to get a new one as I don't want to touch the ceramic one and break it. Mechanic just called back and Chrysler quoted $900 for 1 GP.

Ouch.

I have 121K on the jeep and no issues till now.

This jeep will be in the family for several hundred thousand miles (as all our cars). I am wondering of the long term affects of using the GP from the england source. Has anyone actually used these for over 40k miles since installation?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:56 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_ ... ts_id=3816

$24.95 each, this IS the european steel 7v replacement.

ID Parts just started sourcing them.

If it's #1, it's one of the easiest to get to and you can replace it very very simply. There are a few write ups on this very board on how to replace them, doesn't take much mechanical talent honestly.

You should go ahead and replace all 4 for $100 before you pay the dealership $2500+ because a tip came off and goes through a valve and causes all kinds of nasties.

If you want to pay them and use the $25 part, that would work as well, but the ONLY solution Chrysler has is to order all 4 5V plugs, flash your ECU, and charge you for all of it.

Good Luck, whatever you decide to do.

GDE ECO Tune / Fumoto Valve / E-Tecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs / 2nd Gen Fuel Head / Mishimoto RED Hoses / Rockers/Lifters @ 114k / Hayden FC + 11 Blade Nylon / Sears P1 Battery / Transgo 45RFE-HD2 Reprogramming Kit / Timken Front Bearings

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:04 pm 
LOST Junkie

All 2005MY vehicles had the ceramic glow plugs (7V) as factory equipment.
These parts went out of production some years ago, so there was a campaign to have available the 5V metallic glow plugs + new glow controller + ECU flash available at the dealer.

The best course of action for you depends on the climate that you'll see in the winter time.
If you'll see -20C or below, do the 5V OEM metallic plugs since you'll have a better cold start performance.

The 7V aftermarket parts (Etechno) won't give a comparable cold start when using the OEM ECU calibration, but in mild temps it will still start.

As FYI, 2007MY KJ vehicles for export market had the 5V metallic glow plugs as factory equipment.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:26 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

MrMopar64 wrote:
The 7V aftermarket parts (Etechno) won't give a comparable cold start when using the OEM ECU calibration, but in mild temps it will still start.

Is the 7v ETechno glow plugs performance comparable to the original ceramic glow plugs?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:24 pm 
LOST Member

Hexus..I going to try to remember this in a couple of months..
my wife's jeep has the original 7v plugs..and by Dec..she should be in need of a 2nd
timing belt plus other parts(not done the first time). for $100 plus shipping..cheap!

if I could I would just remove the plugs and screw a bolt into the hole..then firgure a resistor/light bulb to fool the computer to thinking the plugs were working..no more glow plug failures..where we live its not that cold..so this solution won't work for everyone..

-dkenny

all Biodiesel powered when its warm enough

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:50 am 
LOST Addict

bugnout wrote:
MrMopar64 wrote:

Is the 7v ETechno glow plugs performance comparable to the original ceramic glow plugs?

No, neither of the replacements are as good. The ceramics just can't be beat for performance. The order is:

1. OE ceramics
2. 5V Bosch
3. 7V Etecno1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

I am from Wisconsin. I had my original glow plugs last winter and they seemed to have no issues. I guess I am worried that they are the originals and may break. I already have a GDE tune and didn't know that he could program for 5v. Would you suggest to run 5v or 7v? What are the other options to get the 5v steel to work?

- Brian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:13 pm 
LOST Junkie

ech0sh4y wrote:
I am from Wisconsin. I had my original glow plugs last winter and they seemed to have no issues. I guess I am worried that they are the originals and may break. I already have a GDE tune and didn't know that he could program for 5v. Would you suggest to run 5v or 7v? What are the other options to get the 5v steel to work?

- Brian

7v steel drop in's.Is the way to go. No flash and now less $$$ ID PARTS!

NEW Rockers & lifters
Mobil 1 0w-40
0 281 002 845 MAP

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:56 pm 
LOST Junkie

126k total and about 65k miles on my second set of OE ceramics.

Going to switch to 7v steel plugs before winter comes. For some reason my #3 glow plug fails before the other ones. I'm not using coolant or have any engine issues so I'll just chalk this up to bad luck.

I carry a small 900 watt 2 stroke generator that cost me $79 to keep my engine warm in he winters while I'm snowmobiling. I can't risk getting stuck in the mountains overnight unable to start my rig after a days worth of sledding. I can also use the generator to charge the battery if needed. Cheap an inexpensive insurance incase my OEM or new steel plugs don't cut the mustard.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:33 am 
LOST Junkie

Drewd wrote:
126k total and about 65k miles on my second set of OE ceramics.

Going to switch to 7v steel plugs before winter comes. For some reason my #3 glow plug fails before the other ones. I'm not using coolant or have any engine issues so I'll just chalk this up to bad luck.

I carry a small 900 watt 2 stroke generator that cost me $79 to keep my engine warm in he winters while I'm snowmobiling. I can't risk getting stuck in the mountains overnight unable to start my rig after a days worth of sledding. I can also use the generator to charge the battery if needed. Cheap an inexpensive insurance incase my OEM or new steel plugs don't cut the mustard.

That's a great idea. Small generator. I spend allot of time up in the mountains skiing. At 110k i have not had a OEM fail yet, But have just purchased new 7v steel to put in before winter. My jeep always starts within 2 seconds of hitting the key.

NEW Rockers & lifters
Mobil 1 0w-40
0 281 002 845 MAP

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:18 pm 
LOST Member

dirtmover wrote:
bugnout wrote:
MrMopar64 wrote:

No, neither of the replacements are as good. The ceramics just can't be beat for performance. The order is:

1. OE ceramics
2. 5V Bosch
3. 7V Etecno1

Bosch has new gen steel plugs that can heat up just as quick as ceramics. I'm not sure that their peak temp is as high, though. The Etechno double-filament plugs work very well, so practically speaking, they are superior to the Bosch ceramic. (I don't consider a plug that falls apart and drops into your engine a good "performer")

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:07 am 
LOST Junkie

cevans wrote:
I don't consider a plug that falls apart and drops into your engine a good "performer"

Nope, that would cause some poor performance for sure... :-)r

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:21 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I personally have the 7v Etecno plugs and haven't found any issue from starting them at 40 degrees or -40 degrees.

I also know the 5v plugs work fine as I have a friend in Ontario with them.

The 7v plugs are the simpler fix, because if you go to the 5v you have to change the stupid module (booster?) and flash the ECU.

I believe the feeling that one is "hotter" than the other is like saying your Nike's are "More comfortable" than your Adidas, it's all in personal preference.

They both work just fine, and I (again, personal preference) think it's silly to pay anything when you can just buy 4 7v drop-in replacements for $100 and be done with it.

You're going to do what you want, and have to live with the consequences of it, I just wish you good luck!

:2cents:

GDE ECO Tune / Fumoto Valve / E-Tecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs / 2nd Gen Fuel Head / Mishimoto RED Hoses / Rockers/Lifters @ 114k / Hayden FC + 11 Blade Nylon / Sears P1 Battery / Transgo 45RFE-HD2 Reprogramming Kit / Timken Front Bearings

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:33 pm 
LOST Member

Late to the dance as usual, but here it is. I paid the $12 or so for the upper gasket. There is a lower gasket AND an O ring #0514 2806 AA. . O ring cost $2.70 USD. It's an order part, so it takes a few days. I ended up using the upper gasket (Squeeto made his own) and used red RTV on the three connections. O ring arrived after job was done.

FWIW, the fault code said #4 gp was bad. It had 'nodules' on the tip. #3 gp was covered with soot.

None of the plugs had been broken off.

PS Etecno plugs installed.