It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GM Radiator Fan - What I discovered of interest to all
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:22 pm 

For those interested in a better cooling fan setup:
While I had the Jeep apart this weekend to install a fuel return in-line cooler, I decided to change out the stock radiator cooling fan. I had on hand an older used GM 11 blade cooling fan and HD fan clutch for an 05 Chevy so I tried to bolt the GM fan to the Jeep fan clutch and it would not fit or lineup. Then tried screwing the Chevy fan clutch on the jeep pulley hub and it screwed on and fit perfect, (idea came to mind! put the whole Chevy setup on the Jeep). So I went to NAPA and purchased a brand new Chevy/GMC 11 blade heavy duty cooling fan and HD fan clutch for towing and installed it on the Jeep motor. It fit perfect, no clearance problems and the fan actually sets a little closer to the back of the intercooler (CAC) which I like…. :D

It turns out, the Chevy/GMC trucks years 1996 through 2007 HD fan and fan clutch with factory installed towing package are a direct replacement for our Jeep Liberty CRD and the prices for the GM parts are a lot less expensive than having to buy genuine Mopar parts to get the HD Liberty Gas burner cooling fan and clutch that some on LOST have suggested to use… :mrgreen:

These are the part no.s
GM Severe Duty Fan Clutch NAPA PN: 271625
GM 11 blade HD Cooling Fan NAPA PN: 8552223
GM 11 blade fan requires four(4) GM PN: 11516869 bolts, they have different threads and are a bit larger. (bolts to attach fan to fan clutch)

Hayden Fan Clutch for GM is: HY PN: 2986
Four Seasons Fan Clutch for GM is: PN: FS46023 (almost identical to GM OEM fan)

Fan Part No. Interchange
Dorman-620-602
GM-15976889 / GM-3112109 Replaces Original (OE) PN:15976889

The Four Seasons is designed for the GM Truck w/HD Factory Towing Package
A little research shows Hayden and Four Seasons are the same company. (Made in the USA, Texas)
part number converted to Napa Part is: 271625..

Also while I was in there that deep, I cut the radiator fan shroud in half as some have suggested and modified it so the bottom half can stay in place with the top half holding the bottom half in place. Now I can remove just the top half for any future endeavors . A very good mod indeed… :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

Last edited by WWDiesel on Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: GM Radiator Fan - What I discovered of interest to all
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:00 pm 
LOST Addict

NICE, and thanks! Same temp specs I guess since you said direct replacement? I wonder if they might engage a little earlier than the Hayden HD's?

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:05 am 

Temp gauge still reading the same; since I am not towing anything, what I hope for is better cooling in around town stop and go traffic on our very hot 100 degree days and maybe a little better AC performance on those very hot days in stop and go in town driving.... :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:08 pm 
LOST Addict

You would think that it may have a lower threshold since the gas motors typically run a lower temp thermostat?

I still like the idea of an electric fan but thats an investment. I just see it being better for crawling in Moab when its 105 degrees. You can just turn em up and leave them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:39 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
VERY nice work! I'll have to look into this once I finally get a running CRD again.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Did you take any pics? I'm curious if this would work with a gasser?

2007 Wrangler - traded

2010 Wrangler Rubicon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:47 am 

I will post some pictures, and yes it should work on a gasser I would think.... :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:55 pm 

Some pictures of 11 blade fan installed:
pic 1, closeup

pic 2, right side view

pic 3, left side view

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

Last edited by WWDiesel on Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:02 am 
LOST Addict

Good research . Will probably use on crd I tow with. But just a comment, I have no fan at all by curiosity choice after reading post long ago about bad clutches that members weren't aware of till specifically checked I put a hayden heavy duty on crd I tow with and took fan totally off another crd when thermostat went bad and clutch wasn't good and I put in stant thermostat and left fan off. Even with ac on and cooling well and 100 plus temps in west tn and even towing light rig like jon boat or lawn mower never gets above thermostat setting which is about half on temp gauge (195 degrees) The shroud mod is great. First TB job I did took front cap off. Second one I didn't and it went much quicker but glad I did first one cap off just to see everything clearer and learn easiest way to do things

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:
For those interested in a better cooling fan setup:
While I had the Jeep apart this weekend to install a fuel return in-line cooler, I decided to change out the stock radiator cooling fan. I had on hand an older used GM 11 blade cooling fan and HD fan clutch for an 05 Chevy so I tried to bolt the GM fan to the Jeep fan clutch and it would not fit or lineup. Then tried screwing the Chevy fan clutch on the jeep pulley hub and it screwed on and fit perfect, (idea came to mind! put the whole Chevy setup on the Jeep). So I went to NAPA and purchased a brand new Chevy/GMC 11 blade heavy duty cooling fan and HD fan clutch for towing and installed it on the Jeep motor. It fit perfect, no clearance problems and the fan actually sets a little closer to the back of the intercooler (CAC) which I like…. :D

It turns out, the Chevy/GMC trucks years 1996 through 2007 HD fan and fan clutch with towing package are a direct replacement for our Jeep Liberty CRD and the prices for the GM parts are a lot less expensive than having to buy genuine Mopar parts to get the HD Liberty Gas burner cooling fan and clutch that some on LOST have suggested to use… :mrgreen:

These are the part no.s
GM Severe Duty Fan Clutch NAPA 271625
GM 11 blade HD Cooling Fan NAPA No. 8552223

Also while I was in there that deep, I cut the radiator fan shroud in half as some have suggested and modified it so the bottom half can stay in place with the top half holding the bottom half in place. Now I can remove just the top half for any future endeavors . A very good mod indeed… :wink:

Going to NAPA in the morning to get the fan and clutch. Thanx for the info!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:13 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
I will post some pictures, and yes it should work on a gasser I would think.... :wink:

Cool....thanks much for sharing!

Gen 2 Fuel Head
GDE Eco Tune
ARP studs
Etechno (7v) Glow Plugs
F37
Kap 193 thermostat
Carter Lift Pump (Modified wiring harness)
Fumoto (CRD-108)
Bypass oil filter (2 micron)
Samco
Provent
Sears P-1 Battery
Secondary 2 micron fuel filter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:37 am 
LOST Junkie

Thanks for this. Would Rockauto stock these parts? I ask because Rockauto exports to the UK.

Light Khaki 2.8CRD: TJM alloy bumper; Skid Row &Asfir skids;ext. breathers; SAMCO hoses; Grabber At3 235/70/16; Fumoto; Euro TC; Odyssey PC1500;GDE FTEcotune; OME lift; lightforce driving lights;ARB diff cover;nylon fan+Hayden2905;ss vortex exhaust; Airflow snorkel; Frontrunner roofrack; rock rails

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:42 pm 
LOST Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:52 pm 
LOST Junkie

I had tons of cooling issues this summer while towing heavy (4400lb Full height/width travel trailer). After a radiator replacement and running a straight race fan, she stayed cool. I am looking for a light weight replacement, as I am currently fanless.

1) I take it this is a reverse direction fan, just like ours?
2) Can you hear the fan kick on when it gets hot?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:12 pm 

ChooChooman74 wrote:
I had tons of cooling issues this summer while towing heavy (4400lb Full height/width travel trailer). After a radiator replacement and running a straight race fan, she stayed cool. I am looking for a light weight replacement, as I am currently fanless.

1) Yes
2) I have not noticed any change in fan noise... :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:13 am 
LOST Junkie

ChooChooman74 wrote:

Did you get the rad from a Jeep dealer (oem) or is it aftermarket?

Light Khaki 2.8CRD: TJM alloy bumper; Skid Row &Asfir skids;ext. breathers; SAMCO hoses; Grabber At3 235/70/16; Fumoto; Euro TC; Odyssey PC1500;GDE FTEcotune; OME lift; lightforce driving lights;ARB diff cover;nylon fan+Hayden2905;ss vortex exhaust; Airflow snorkel; Frontrunner roofrack; rock rails

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:44 am 
LOST Junkie

Lancer wrote:
ChooChooman74 wrote:

Did you get the rad from a Jeep dealer (oem) or is it aftermarket?

My mechanic likes OEM, so I figure he got it from his OEM supplier.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:47 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
The OP said he bought the fan from a NAPA Auto, which makes it a lot more accessible to us than what the dealerships (don't) have in stock for a higher price. If you have a fan at all though, you shouldn't be having cooling issues with a diesel engine.

I'm excited for this option, b/c as part of swapping to the better clutch, a better fan can also be used. The factory clutch *IS BAD* if you haven't changed it - they are really that much crap, that I can say this with all conviction.

For anyone just doing normal driving and not climbing mountains and are having heating issues... You shouldn't be. This may sound obvious, but it is true. Having anyone add "universal" coolant to the system may have caused part of your problems. Universal coolants do not mix properly with the HOAT coolant we have to use, and cause wax or goop or jello to develop from the chemical reaction. The innards of the radiator can be inspected by removing the vent cap on the passenger end and shining a light down in to look at the end of the tubes. To do this, rotate the vent counter-clockwise (it may be quite stiff) while gently lifting up. Do this after you have drained the system from the drain at the bottom of the radiator, or you will have quite a mess. Once the vent has been rotated to the stop, you can pull it straight up to remove it.

If you see a lot of waxy goop... Chances are, this is the source of your problem. I wish I could offer as easy a solution as the process to inspect, but that gets into the realm of chemistry where I know less than nothing. I would say that a thorough water flushing probably would help, but I don't know what else might be effective against this waxy goop.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:37 pm 

To build on what Geordi stated,
If you or someone else has put the wrong coolant in the system, it can cause all kinds of cooling issues! Chrysler specifies the HOAT for a reason and should always be used in your Jeep cooling system. It has chemicals in it to aid in the proper liquid cooling movement and adherence to the metal parts to safely extract heat from the engine parts and carry it to the radiator where it can be removed...

In diesel engines, the proper coolant is very important to prevent cavitation and dry spots in and around the cylinder liners and other parts which can lead to engine failure. The constant pinging of the diesel explosion in the cylinder as it fires plays havoc with the coolant around the liner and in the head. It requires a very good type of coolant with the proper additives to keep the coolant in constant contact with all the metal parts for proper heat extraction.

Case in point is the Ford diesels of a few years ago that experienced some cooling issues around I believe it was the No. 5 cylinder when they came out with a new version diesel engine. The coolant was not staying in constant contact with the cylinder liner creating some flaking off of the metal and eventual failure. They solution was to add a chemical additive to the coolant to help alleviate the problem.

As to cleaning the cooling system; use a good name brand cooling system flush available at most parts stores and follow the instructions to the tee. Then refill with HOAT coolant... :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

Did the GM hd fan clutch use the same bolts to hold the fan on as the Oem jeep?