It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mixing Bio and Petrodiesel
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

I wonder if someone would share with me exactly what their procedure might be for mixing Bio and petrodiesel in the tanks of their Libertys. It is difficult to know upon fill up just how much is left in the tank when you want to mix, say B10.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:16 pm 
LOST Addict

I splash blend every tank. Usually put the B100 in before fueling with dino-diesel. As a general rule, I try not to ever run a diesel under 1/4 tank, thus @ 16 gal refuel in the CRD. If you want 10% blend, put 1.5 gal in for 15 gal of dino-diesel. I buy B100 in 5 gal fuel cans and leave it at home. Splash it in at home and drive to the station for the dino.

I personally like @ B20, think the CRD runs it best at this blend. It also depends on my mood. If our troops have a bad day in Iraq, usually splash in a more!!! It's entirely your choice who to support, tractor jockey or cammel jockey. I live in soybean country, it's not a difficult choice for me.

Thankful to now be an EX-CRD owner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I ran my 2003 Dodge cummins @ 100% a few times and it ran great, why not run a higher % than 20?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:07 am 
LOST Member

I really wish we had a biodiesel pump around my house.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Post subject: Why not higher percentage?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:12 am 
LOST Addict

I would love to. I did have @ 75% in for a short distance to the fuel station once. It bucked and stumbled badly. Went away as soon as the rest of the tank was filled with dino. For all I know it could have been just incomplete blending or cold B100 into a warm fuel tank. It's been cold in Ohio but have been bumping up the % as it gets warmer. I do notice that the B20 fires a bit slower on a 0 degree morning. Have to crank it for a few seconds but when it does fire it doesen't hammer like the rods are coming out as with straight dino.

I also go to a B20 pump near downtown Cleveland (close to the office) but they are a bit pricey compared to diesel away from the city. The B100 pump is a 25 mile drive, buy enough to blend for a month and much less expensive ($2.50/gal). And yes, it is tempting but I don't think my condo association would tolerate home brewing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:50 pm 
LOST Member

I burned B100 all last summer, and just switched back to B100 for this summer. I just completed about a 500 mile road trip on B100. :)

I towed my boat all around through the mountains last summer using B100.

During the winter I switched to B20, as I ski and it gets cold in the mountains. :) I use B50 in the spring and fall.

When you blend in the tank it is best to put the petro diesel in first, then put the bio on top of it. Bio is heavier and putting it in on top will help blending.

Here are some good tips:
http://www.sqbiofuels.com/winter_use.htm

Blending is best done at 10 degrees above the cloud point.
Here is a (long) PDF of the biodiesel cold weather blending study:
http://www.biodiesel.org/resources/reportsdatabase/reports/gen/20050728_Gen-354.pdf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:19 am 
LOST Addict

Anyone considering their own bulk fuel storage?

If I had the garage space and could get away with it, I would get a 100-150 gal tank and get on a delivery schedule with a local fuel oil supplier. You could control your blend concentration and fuel quality. I'm not allowed to store fuel at my the condo, even my fuel cans are a no no. If you live where it gets cold, you have to keep the tank indoors and reasonably warm (above the gel point). Many of the local oil suppliers around here have ties to ag co-op's and I hear they sell B100. A lot of farmers around here run the stuff in very high concentrations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:56 am 
LOST Junkie

I have done some research and it proved to be favorable to mix B5 or B10 with ULSD petrodiesel or just run B5 or B10. Since most diesel fuel line pumps are self-lubricating, the loss of Sulfur to act as a lubricant is actually harmful to the pump's lifespan. The introduction of either B5 or B10 actually improves the lubricity of the fuel and negates the harmful effects of ULSD on the fuel pump.

New EGR Flow Control Valve @ 25,020 miles
New Transfer Case input/output seals @ 32,787 miles
SEGR Kit @ 52,000 miles
SunCoast TC and Transgo Shift Kit @ 52,000 miles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:48 am 
LOST Junkie

Biodiesel is ever so slightly denser than petrodiesel, so if you are going to blend it in the tank, better to put the bio on top of the petro.

Of course, the best and most accurate way to do it is to put a gallon (or whatever your ratio of bio to petro is) in 5 gallon cans, fill 'em to the mark with petro, shake so they are well mixed, and the fill your tank from the cans. The ratio above would, of course, yield B20.

But most folks consider that to be more trouble than it is worth, and just estimate how much fuel they'll need to fill the tank, the dump stuff in and keep their fingers crossed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:31 pm 
LOST Member

Yep. I splash blend to B50 in the tank. Though it's likely a little higher as when I get the fuel light, I dump in 10 gallons of B100 at home, then top off w/ D2 from a local station. Never had a problem and driving around will mix the fuel just fine. N even if it doesn't - no harm in running B100 or B0 unless it's cold where you are.

GDE Eco Tune and DPF delete
CB Engineering DPF delete pipe
EHM

Past (sold to Mountainman):
2005 Patriot Blue Liberty CRD Limited