It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: anyone get their free hitch yet?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:48 pm 
LOST Addict

papaindigo wrote:
Quote:
they refused to install just the hitch without the HD cooling crap.

I can sort of see their point on your 3.7L KJ as most gasser tow pkgs I've paid for include hitch, trailer light/brake wiring, better brakes, heavy duty alternator, and extra automatic transmission cooling. In contrast the KJ CRD tow pkg is just hitch and wiring so if all they install is a hitch even if it is, as it appears to be, identical to the original OEM hitch you cannot legally use it for towing unless wiring is added.

Yes because you can not tow without lights on your trailer

Sent with the power of children's screams!!!

2002 KJ Limited 3.7, 5.25" lift via coilovers, custom HD rear springs, 32.2" tires on moabs (soon 33s) 4.56/JBA diff, OX lockers front/rear, NP241OR, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers, rock rails and roof rack, Viair OBA.

2006 KJ sport 3.7, 4" Ironman lift, 32" tires, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers and rock rails.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

So it sounds like a free hitch rated for about 5000 lbs, that ought a do.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:10 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
papaindigo wrote:
Quote:

I can sort of see their point on your 3.7L KJ as most gasser tow pkgs I've paid for include hitch, trailer light/brake wiring, better brakes, heavy duty alternator, and extra automatic transmission cooling. In contrast the KJ CRD tow pkg is just hitch and wiring so if all they install is a hitch even if it is, as it appears to be, identical to the original OEM hitch you cannot legally use it for towing unless wiring is added.

Not always - I've been told by a trailer place that Georgia (and I think Florida too) the trailer lighting requirement can be exempted if the tow vehicle lights can be seen around the trailer. I've seen plenty of little cargo trailers and single jetski trailers that don't have lighting.

Whether those are legal or not, I don't know, but I also have a very small cargo trailer that I've pulled through Florida a few times, and all the way to Virginia and back through Atlanta, with nary a problem. It also doesn't have a plate on it, but the thing is practically a skateboard behind the car. People have actually DRIVEN INTO IT while I've been stopped in front of them b/c they forgot it was there.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:33 pm 
LOST Addict

Im saying thats how Chrysler looks at it, its call CYA.

2002 KJ Limited 3.7, 5.25" lift via coilovers, custom HD rear springs, 32.2" tires on moabs (soon 33s) 4.56/JBA diff, OX lockers front/rear, NP241OR, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers, rock rails and roof rack, Viair OBA.

2006 KJ sport 3.7, 4" Ironman lift, 32" tires, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers and rock rails.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:01 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

papaindigo wrote:
Quote:

The tow package for gas KJ's(only for 3.7 V6 models) is HD cooling that adds a mechanical fan(electric fan is primary still),the hitch,wiring,and models with the 42RLE trans get's a PS cooler(gas KJ's with 45RFE have the PS cooler standard).That is it,no different brakes(same brakes as the CRD's),no bigger alternator(only for Renny models with lightbar from factory),and all KJ's regardless of trans do not have any sort of extra trans cooler(gas KJ's with 45RFE have a in-radiator trans cooler,best of all the coolers,even CRD's).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:34 am 
LOST Addict

geordi wrote:
papaindigo wrote:
Quote:

Not always - I've been told by a trailer place that Georgia (and I think Florida too) the trailer lighting requirement can be exempted if the tow vehicle lights can be seen around the trailer. I've seen plenty of little cargo trailers and single jetski trailers that don't have lighting.

Whether those are legal or not, I don't know, but I also have a very small cargo trailer that I've pulled through Florida a few times, and all the way to Virginia and back through Atlanta, with nary a problem. It also doesn't have a plate on it, but the thing is practically a skateboard behind the car. People have actually DRIVEN INTO IT while I've been stopped in front of them b/c they forgot it was there.

Ohio has the same, if the tractor vehicle's lights are visible, you don't need trailer lights.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:28 pm 
LOST Member

I'd have to look at my hitch again, but I don't recall the 2" portion hanging that much lower than the bumper on an OEM tow package hitch. I believe mine is pretty much flush with the bottom of the bumper.

This is not my jeep, but this is what mine looks like installed:

4x4kayak2112 wrote:
Got my recalled on 8/11/14

ImageImageImage

Tow Package | Engine/Tranny/TC Skids | Fumoto F102S | Roof Rack | USA Spec PA-11CHR | EVIC | auto dimming mirror | Yoko Geolander A/T-S LT225/75R16

Last edited by SFHLibertyCRD on Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:44 pm 
LOST Addict

SFHLibertyCRD wrote:
I'd have to look at my hitch again, but I don't recall the 2" portion hanging that much lower than the bumper on an OEM tow package hitch. I believe mine is pretty much flush with the bottom of the bumper.

4x4kayak2112 wrote:

ImageImageImage

I have a cut factory bumper aka "Mudd's cut rear bumper" I cut the bottom 4 or so inches off the bumper.

So if you did have "uncut" bumper it would sit flush

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:54 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks, that makes sense. I knew something didn't look right in the pics.

4x4kayak2112 wrote:
SFHLibertyCRD wrote:

4x4kayak2112 wrote:

I have a cut factory bumper aka "Mudd's cut rear bumper" I cut the bottom 4 or so inches off the bumper.

So if you did have "uncut" bumper it would sit flush

Tow Package | Engine/Tranny/TC Skids | Fumoto F102S | Roof Rack | USA Spec PA-11CHR | EVIC | auto dimming mirror | Yoko Geolander A/T-S LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:56 pm 
LOST Member

If anyone with an factory tow package goes in and is successful getting one replaced, please post back. I wouldn't mind a new hitch as this one spent too much time in the rust belt. I was thinking maybe I could convince them it's "compromised" because of the rust.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:19 pm 
LOST Member

I consider my free hitch adequate for any towing my CRD can handle.

GDE FT ECO tune, GDE TCM ECO tune, ARP studs, HDS-001 203F T-Stat, 3.7L nylon fan & Hayden 2905 clutch, Carter P76148M in-tank pump, Racor 245R122 filter head & 2 micron R25S fuel filter, Provent 200, Samcos, Fumoto F-102, Litens 920834A de-coupler, PML rear diff cover, OEM trans pan with welded in bung, JBA UCAs, full skids.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:24 am 
LOST Member

Just got mine on yesterday!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:23 pm 
LOST Addict

cevans wrote:

I have an aftermarket hitch, which is rated for 7500 lbs with weight distribution for some reason, and installed the 7 pin wiring myself. Not sure if I should try to go get the Mopar one or not. I would like the 7 Pin harness properly mounted to the bar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:32 pm 
LOST Addict

The recall one will not come with a wire mount bracket.....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:33 pm 
LOST Member

Did you already have a tow package or was this a new install?

cevans wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:56 pm 
LOST Member

Ah, thanks for this clarification. Then if I already have OEM tow package with wiring, I don't want the new hitch because there will be nowhere to mount the wiring. Probably not worth the time to go in to have some bolts replaced if that's all it'll be.

4x4kayak2112 wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Just to summarize the chat on this and perhaps clarify, I hope, a bit. The recall relates to installing a Mopar hitch assembly, without trailer light wiring, to minimize the chance of a fuel tank puncture from a low speed rear end collision or inspection of an existing Mopar hitch to see if it will provide protection (this may or may not include checking clearance between hitch and a fuel tank skid if one is installed) and replacement of the 2 rear bolts on that hitch or replacement of any after market hitch with a Mopar hitch. Right off I'll note that there is no legal requirement that you and your CRD participate in this recall at all. If you do and have:
1. factory or dealer installed Mopar hitch without fuel tank skid - inspection and 2 new bolts
2. factory or dealer installed Mopar hitch with fuel tank skid - inspection and 2 new bolts. MAYBE the fuel tank clearance check and MAYBE a push to delete the skid if there is not enough clearance. If so just tell them thanks but no thanks you will keep what you have.
In both of the above situations you should have the factory round 7 pin, I think, plug mounted on the hitch to the left of the receiver and a round to flat trailer plug adapter.
3. an after market hitch or no hitch with or without fuel tank skid. You get a new Mopar hitch without wiring and hopefully no hassle over fuel tank skid (if hassle tell them to forget hitch and keep skid).
In any of these scenarios you can easily install a 4 or 5 wire flat plug or you can install an aftermarket round plug (FYI there are several options that mount the round plug to the hitch, similar to OEM, for $10-30 in materials). You will also need to get receiver bar, bar pin, and ball.

On the CRD the towing pkg was the hitch, the wiring, and IIRC the receiver bar the ball mounts on with the bar pin.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:02 pm 
LOST Addict

4x4kayak2112 wrote:

I thought the Harness mount just bolted on. I know you can buy it separately through mopar.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I looked at my 05 factory installed Mopar hitch and the round wiring plug is in fact bolted on but it's bolted on to a bracket that's welded to the hitch. However there are a host of vendors that sell brackets that could be mounted (drill and tap or weld) to the hitch which will then allow bolting on the round wiring plug receptacle.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:18 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
The wires can also be held by a ziptie to the bar...

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next