It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: anyone get their free hitch yet?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:41 am 
LOST Member

NY Times article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/14/automobiles/chryslers-solution-for-jeep-recall-runs-into-resistance.html?pagewanted=1&src=recg

#1 2006 Silver CRD Limited, flipped spare tire, ASFIR skids, GDE TCM & Ecotune, blue SAMCOs, 5V glow plugs, Rotella T6, intank fuel pump, Gen2 fuel head, new crank sensor, JBA 2.5 in silver package, Provent and ARB bumper
#2 2006 Metallic Green Limited; currently DOA
#3 2005 Silver project; currently not running...don't judge me

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi guys, I got my recall letter this past Monday and had the hitch installed today. As I was leaving the Service Dept. they gave me a letter that reads as follows:

Aug. 01, 204

Uniform Dealer communication to Customer when the vehicle has had a trailer hitch assembly installed where none existed before.

Your vehicle has been inspected in connection with the rear structural reinforcement recall campaign, and an original equipment manufacturer (OEM) trailer hitch assembly has been installed. This assembly is intended to upgrade the rear structure and better manage the crash forces in certain types of low speed rear impacts.

DO NOT attempt to tow with the campaign installed trailer hitch assembly. Your vehicle was not equipped with a Chrysler OEM trailer tow package and this campaign trailer hitch assembly does not include the necessary wiring harness and/or other heavy duty components required for towing.

I called Chrysler in Michigan and they confirmed that you cannot tow with this hitch because it is not "classed". Looks like Chrysler has fixed the problem with an inferior part. I ask why it has the 2" receiver and hookups for safety chains if it cannot be used to tow. The reply was "Some people just like the look of a trailer hitch on their vehicle" At that point I just hung up!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:50 pm 
LOST Junkie

kwb1956 wrote:
Hi guys, I got my recall letter this past Monday and had the hitch installed today. As I was leaving the Service Dept. they gave me a letter that reads as follows:

Aug. 01, 204

Uniform Dealer communication to Customer when the vehicle has had a trailer hitch assembly installed where none existed before.

Your vehicle has been inspected in connection with the rear structural reinforcement recall campaign, and an original equipment manufacturer (OEM) trailer hitch assembly has been installed. This assembly is intended to upgrade the rear structure and better manage the crash forces in certain types of low speed rear impacts.

DO NOT attempt to tow with the campaign installed trailer hitch assembly. Your vehicle was not equipped with a Chrysler OEM trailer tow package and this campaign trailer hitch assembly does not include the necessary wiring harness and/or other heavy duty components required for towing.

I called Chrysler in Michigan and they confirmed that you cannot tow with this hitch because it is not "classed". Looks like Chrysler has fixed the problem with an inferior part. I ask why it has the 2" receiver and hookups for safety chains if it cannot be used to tow. The reply was "Some people just like the look of a trailer hitch on their vehicle" At that point I just hung up!

What a crock of $hi+!! Why did they put a hitch on then?! Seems to me this is a liability/lawyer talk. Since they were too cheap to install a harness with the hitch, etc. I see no issue in towing with this hitch. But lets just say that the vehicle is traded in and/or resold... will the new owner know about this being a hitch that Chrysler says you are not allowed to tow with? Heck no. So once again Chrysler fails. The reason that they gave was asinine.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:55 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

MRausch82 wrote:
kwb1956 wrote:

Aug. 01, 204

What a crock of $hi+!! Why did they put a hitch on then?! Seems to me this is a liability/lawyer talk. Since they were too cheap to install a harness with the hitch, etc. I see no issue in towing with this hitch. But lets just say that the vehicle is traded in and/or resold... will the new owner know about this being a hitch that Chrysler says you are not allowed to tow with? Heck no. So once again Chrysler fails. The reason that they gave was asinine.
The hitch is labeled as such right on it.

This is for those vehicles that do not have the tow package so if anything happens if your towing and say get in a accident or try and use say the lifetime power train warranty because you burned your trans since no HD cooling towing more then 3500lbs Chrysler is covered and not liable for anything.

Just remember the government okay'd this since they also know it's a bullsh*t recall but had to please the whiners and media.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:55 pm 
LOST Junkie

only problem I see is I have a hitch I put on mine, Reese class 3 that is somewhat square in places. The second letter I just got tells me they will remove my hitch if they determine it has any sharp edges or other puncture risk.

So they intend to put a non rated hitch on to replace? Screw that I am afraid.

Plus, the CRD tow package was ONLY the hitch and the harness, Nothing else changed from a non tow package CRD, any argument they would make is complete garbage.

The good news is that the more people that don't comply the harder it will be for Chrysler to close the case.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

cerich wrote:
The good news is that the more people that don't comply the harder it will be for Chrysler to close the case.

Or 10 years past then it's null and void.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:20 pm 
LOST Junkie

cerich wrote:
Plus, the CRD tow package was ONLY the hitch and the harness, Nothing else changed from a non tow package CRD, any argument they would make is complete garbage.

My thoughts exactly. I didn't think there was any difference with the cooling, etc. at least not on the CRD.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:58 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

MRausch82 wrote:
cerich wrote:

My thoughts exactly. I didn't think there was any difference with the cooling, etc. at least not on the CRD.

You do know that CRD's are a very small percentage of KJ's made so it was a blanket statement.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:37 am 
LOST Member

I have a 2006 with the tow package form the factory, and Thursday got the recall notice to come in to get a new hitch installed.

0w40 oil
Mostly stock
Diesel's are towing machines

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:55 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote:
an original equipment manufacturer (OEM) trailer hitch assembly has been installed.

Quote:

I cannot speak for the gasser but for the KJ CRD I'd read this and the rest of the recall notice to say that 1) they installed an OEM trailer hitch (rated or unrated I cannot say but the only OEM hitch assembly that was originally installed was IIRC Class 3 and 2) your vehicle does not have the Chrysler tow package so you cannot tow. The last statement is true as far as it goes but on the KJ CRD that tow package consisted of nothing but the hitch, the wiring harness, and a round to flat trailer light plug adapter. On that basis if you do get the "free" hitch installed I see no practical reason why you could not use it to tow provided the proper trailer wiring harness was installed.

The fact that DCJ is not installing the wiring is annoying but no big surprise given the purpose of the installation.

Exactly how much protection the hitch provides has been debated but as a matter of personal experience I can say my fuel tank did not leak when my original 05 Sport was totaled when I stopped for a red light and the dump truck behind me did not.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Does any one know if they will put the hitch on a Libby with a fuel tank skid plate?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:01 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

They should and it will fit as stoutdog's 06 came from the factory with a Mopar hitch and Mopar fuel tank skid. However, there has been one report of a dealer using some sort of measuring device (see viewtopic.php?f=1&t=80172) to determine clearance.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:34 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
I have the letter in hand about this, I will scan it in and post it - It says NOTHING about putting in an inferior unrated hitch, but it also states that if there is already a factory hitch, they will inspect / replace the rear bolts if able. If there is an aftermarket hitch, it will be REMOVED and a factory hitch installed.

Doesn't matter to me - My CRD has a hitch from Etrailer.com and isn't exactly mobile at the moment anyway. I suppose I could send the letter to Larry, but I doubt he will go through the effort to tow it to the dealer for them to remove my hitch and install this fig leaf.

It is all about doing as little as possible, save that money for the shareholders.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:13 pm 
LOST Addict

My CRD has the factory installed hitch. I don't plan on taking to the dealer for the recall.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:32 pm 
LOST Junkie

geordi wrote:
I have the letter in hand about this, I will scan it in and post it - It says NOTHING about putting in an inferior unrated hitch, but it also states that if there is already a factory hitch, they will inspect / replace the rear bolts if able. If there is an aftermarket hitch, it will be REMOVED and a factory hitch installed.

Doesn't matter to me - My CRD has a hitch from Etrailer.com and isn't exactly mobile at the moment anyway. I suppose I could send the letter to Larry, but I doubt he will go through the effort to tow it to the dealer for them to remove my hitch and install this fig leaf.

I have that same letter with the same wording. BTW: I didn't realize you got another CRD... Welcome back! I, too, have that disease... :-)r

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:46 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
I don't have another CRD - The letter is about the one that I sold, that is still disabled in Larry's front yard outside of DC. He obviously hasn't transferred the ownership with Chrysler, not that it matters much.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:45 pm 
LOST Junkie

tjkj2002 wrote:
This is for those vehicles that do not have the tow package so if anything happens if your towing and say get in a accident or try and use say the lifetime power train warranty because you burned your trans since no HD cooling towing more then 3500lbs Chrysler is covered and not liable for anything.

This is correct. This recall applies to the gasser KJ and CRD KJ alike. Not all gassers have a tow package. Chrysler is adding a hitch, sure, but no wiring for tail lights, no HD fan, etc. so I am not at all surprised they are covering their bases.

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD
Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon 2.8L Duramax

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:33 pm 
LOST Addict

Diesel also never had the lifetime powertrain warranty (sham that it was) because they were afraid of having to support the vehicles that might actually be USED.

If I remember correctly, the exclusions were:
No RAM trucks
No postal service use
No diesel vehicles
No Commercial vehicle use
No taxi use
No limo use
No second or more owners
I can't remember if towing was mentioned or not, but I'm sure it was covered somewhere.

and the thing had to be inspected by a dealership EVERY YEAR starting with year 5, within 30 days of the day you bought the thing, or the warranty would be voided.

Suzie Soccermom would be highly unlikely to remember that first appointment, which I suspect was Chrysler's goal. Sell the promise, but count on a sizable percentage failing to follow the enormous list of exclusions, and voiding themselves out.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:47 pm 
LOST Member

I recently had a "free hitch" installed on my wife's 2006 CRD. I bought the CRD used in 5/2014 with 45k miles. It did not have a hitch or a harness when I purchased it. The free hitch did not come with a "Not for Towing" disclaimer. The only label on the hitch states "Chrysler recommends you remove the ball and ball mount whenever your vehicle is not actually in use of towing." It seems Chrysler is OK with using this hitch for towing.

GDE FT ECO tune, GDE TCM ECO tune, ARP studs, HDS-001 203F T-Stat, 3.7L nylon fan & Hayden 2905 clutch, Carter P76148M in-tank pump, Racor 245R122 filter head & 2 micron R25S fuel filter, Provent 200, Samcos, Fumoto F-102, Litens 920834A de-coupler, PML rear diff cover, OEM trans pan with welded in bung, JBA UCAs, full skids.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:15 am 
LOST Newbie

racertracer wrote:
Are we in fact going to get the hitch... does anybody know if we as diesel KJ owners get a Hitch from this recall?

Went to the dealer for a tire problem and was told that my 2006 liberty crd has a recall. I said Oh really. They said I get a hitch installed for some tank problem. I told them to go ahead and install it. Was no charge but no wiring harness. Looks like class 2 hitch. Nothing extra.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next