It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2006 CRD - Is it a fuel pump problem - or???
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:32 am 
LOST Newbie

2006 Liberty purchased a couple months ago with 149K miles. Seller says (and confirmed by service records) that the timing belt, water pump and related items were replaced at 125K miles. This is my #2 CRD. I like its twin brother so much I bought this one and thought I got another good one until this:

So I'm driving down I-15 on the 4th of July at 70 mph with cruise control on (road is level, not towing), and everything's fine until . . . I hear a noise (not a loud bang or thump, more like grinding) from under the hood, and immediately it loses power. I bump it to neutral, engine goes to idle, I stab the throttle a couple times and it revs weakly to about 2800 rpm. I look back and see black smoke in the mirror. Start steering toward the emergency lane with the engine idling, and in about 10 seconds, the engine quits - as if I turned the key off - no seizing or more noise. I get it towed back to my shop.

Fresh oil change about 100 mi ago, the oil is not even black yet. Oil level is fine. No leaks or drips. Half tank of fuel. My first guess is that the turbo bearings seized - but with the intake hose off I can reach the turbine wheel and it spins with no effort, no slack, no end play, and runs true. I point a compressed air nozzle at it, and it will spin effortlessly - so - its not the turbo. I can peek down the oil filler tube and see the cam turning when the starter is engaged, so the timing belt is still intact.

Try a restart at the shop, and the starter cranks it fine, but will not even act like its going to start - no fuel. I try the hand pump on the fuel filter, and feels like its hard against fuel, not pumping air. I even crack a line coming off the fuel filter, and get fuel out when I pump.

I'm at the limit of my experience and intuition - I don't know what to suspect is the real culprit - the high pressure fuel pump maybe?? Ouch!! HELP GUYS . . . .

Post subject: Re: 2006 CRD - Is it a fuel pump problem - or???
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:55 am 
LOST Junkie

Black smoke means more fuel than needed for the air flow into the engine.

So it's either excess fuel, or insufficient air. I would not look at the fuel pump first, as it is unlikely to have overpressurized the injectors. Simply from a conceptual standpoint, I would look at things like the intercooler hoses, the intercooler itself, the FCV, basically anything that could restrict airflow.

Given the fact that it won't start at all now, I think I would look at the FCV first.

But the real question to be answered first is- what codes do you get? THat will help more than anything.

2005 Liberty CRD- ARP studs, Fumoto, Hayden FC, inline Tstat, ETechno 7v GP, Platinum P1, in-tank lift pump.
1983 Volvo D24T
1981 Volvo D24
Dodge Cummins TD
Case 580B
Mitsubishi MT180 diesel
Kubota BX25 diesel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:30 am 
LOST Member

The black smoke indicates a lack of air or too much fuel. You can check to see what the fuel pressure at the rail is. You can tear apart the FCV (flow control valve) and check to see if the butterfly valve is open (if it's open, then leave the FCV unplugged and try to start again). The EGR could be stuck open.

If the above checks out ok, then I would look at the rockers next. I just replaced the rockers on a CRD with 125k miles. Two of the rockers had the rollers jammed way down to the point where the cam was wearing into the rocker arm. It was smoking badly, but would run. Cylinder #1 had a ton of soot built up in it and when I pushed down on the valve, it broke some loose. The chunk of soot then prevented the engine from turning over (no clearance) when I tried to crank it by hand.

Here is a picture of the rocker: Image

Here is a picture of the head: Image

Here is a pic of the piston: Image

2006 Inferno Red Crystal Pearlcoat
2006 Midnight Blue Pearlcoat
2006 Gold Limited
2015 Black Ecodiesel
2015 Black Ecodiesel 2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:19 am 
LOST Addict

Lucky catch, I wouldn't see that rocker holding much longer. Btw, where was that rocker located, which cylinder?

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:04 pm 
LOST Junkie

Could be rockers, could be a number of things, but I'd check the easier stuff first. PITA things like getting at rockers I leave till I have ruled out the easy ones.

What codes do you get?

2005 Liberty CRD- ARP studs, Fumoto, Hayden FC, inline Tstat, ETechno 7v GP, Platinum P1, in-tank lift pump.
1983 Volvo D24T
1981 Volvo D24
Dodge Cummins TD
Case 580B
Mitsubishi MT180 diesel
Kubota BX25 diesel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

He just dropped this off at my house and I am trying to figure it out now. I am going to start reading through the service manual, but while I'm looking I'll ask a few questions.

I have read about people testing fuel pressure on these, is this done by taking a reading from the sensor? Or is there a port somewhere that I can put a guage on? (If any of my guages will read high enough)

I have tried testing the injector pulse with a noid light to no avail, no signal seems to be going to them. Would this point to a bad crank position sensor? Where is that located and can I test it?

We are suspicious of the CP3, but I tend to think that wouldn't fail at this mileage.

I am somewhat suspicious of the rocker arms, as if the belt jumped time, but the belt was recently changed, so that would mean that whoever did the belt didn't do it correctly.

I'm going to keep plugging away, I'll keep posts of what else I find.

Checked the following: no DTCs, swapped ASD relay, checked FCV, verified fuel at filter and primer pump pushes fuel through.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:34 am 
LOST Addict

If it idles OK, do a MAF test. That is an easy way see if the rockers may be failing.

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:53 am 
LOST Newbie

Doesn't idle, doesn't start

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:00 pm 
LOST Junkie

So no codes at all?

Does it not crank, or not fire?

If it cranks, what is the battery voltage while cranking?

1983 Volvo D24T
1981 Volvo D24
Dodge Cummins TD
Case 580B
Mitsubishi MT180 diesel
Kubota BX25 diesel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

Nope, no codes at all, cranks good, haven't checked voltage while cranking. Seems to either be getting no fuel, or has lost compression across the board. Made a fitting out of an old fuel filter head to check that the pump is drawing vacuum (per section 14-45 of the shop manual) Will also see if I can find an adapter to do a compression check.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:44 pm 
LOST Junkie

While cranking, observe the cam through the oil filler... is it turning? It is possible it jumped time. If compression does not seem right, or it does not sound right, chances are that it jumped time or has a slipped or broken timing belt.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

Mystery solved. The growling noise was due to the tip of the injector blowing off and banging around in the cylinder. The smoke was from said injector relieving the fuel rail of its 20,000 psi, and the no-start was because the broken injector prevented any buildup of pressure. Now to assess the damage done to cylinder/valves/head. Anyone else seen this happen before?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:45 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

You didn't hear any blow-by on that cylinder when trying to start it?

GDE ECO Tune / Fumoto Valve / E-Tecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs / 2nd Gen Fuel Head / Mishimoto RED Hoses / Rockers/Lifters @ 114k / Hayden FC + 11 Blade Nylon / Sears P1 Battery / Transgo 45RFE-HD2 Reprogramming Kit / Timken Front Bearings

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:42 am 
LOST Newbie

only the nozzle of the injector broke, there was no blow by, the body of the injector was still sealed against the head.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:00 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I would probably pull the head and inspect that cylinder as well as the glow plug in it.

Is it upgraded steel or the original ceramic?

GDE ECO Tune / Fumoto Valve / E-Tecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs / 2nd Gen Fuel Head / Mishimoto RED Hoses / Rockers/Lifters @ 114k / Hayden FC + 11 Blade Nylon / Sears P1 Battery / Transgo 45RFE-HD2 Reprogramming Kit / Timken Front Bearings

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:50 pm 
LOST Addict

We have new injectors for $350 if you need one. That is not a common failure mode on this engine.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

for those who are interested:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Crush washer still in the intake?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:50 pm 
LOST Junkie

Hexus wrote:
I would probably pull the head and inspect that cylinder as well as the glow plug in it.

Is it upgraded steel or the original ceramic?

X2 on the head removal and inspection. That CANNOT be good for the valves.

1983 Volvo D24T
1981 Volvo D24
Dodge Cummins TD
Case 580B
Mitsubishi MT180 diesel
Kubota BX25 diesel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

Update,

could not remove the tip of the injector, so we decided to pull the cylinder head. Turns out that the damage to the injector was caused by the head of one of the valves breaking off. It seems like I have heard of this happening before on this forum.
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=75904&hilit=broken+valve&start=0

The cylinder head is junk now, some of the rocker arms busted, the piston is knackered and who knows if there is a bent rod.

Image Image

Last edited by 81Willis on Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.