It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 2006 CRD - Is it a fuel pump problem - or???
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:58 am 
LOST Junkie

81Willis wrote:
Update,

could not remove the tip of the injector, so we decided to pull the cylinder head. Turns out that the damage to the injector was caused by the head of one of the valves breaking off. It seems like I have heard of this happening before on this forum. The cylinder head is junk now, some of the rocker arms busted, the piston is knackered and who knows if there is a bent rod.

No way to know which failed first, the valve or the injector. Both seem unlikely. What did the glow plug look like? Was it ceramic?

On a more helpful note, replacement of the rod/piston assembly is doable, and reman heads are available too. While you are in there you might consider ARP studs, and I would definitely use metal 7v glow plugs. Good luck with the repairs and sing out if we can help!

2005 Liberty CRD- ARP studs, Fumoto, Hayden FC, inline Tstat, ETechno 7v GP, Platinum P1, in-tank lift pump.
1983 Volvo D24T
1981 Volvo D24
Dodge Cummins TD
Case 580B
Mitsubishi MT180 diesel
Kubota BX25 diesel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

The tip of the injector is still in the head, so it seems more likely that the valve head failed and then broke the injector tip. I'll be pulling the short block out next. There is a used engine available with 82k for just under $4000. This seems to be the best option.

What are we looking at to replace the cylinder head and have a machine shop replace the liner/piston. I also need to buy rocker arms and a new injector. IIRC there are several head gasket thicknesses. How do you determine which to use if you are replacing the head?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:17 am 
LOST Newbie

We are looking at buying a factory rebuilt engine, and I was hoping to hear from someone who has done this to find out what is included in the longblock. Does it come with all the rocker arms, cams, water pump, etc? I saw the list of gaskets and other parts that are not included, but I would like to know what is included. Am I correct to assume that none of the fuel system components are included?