It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: injector removal without tool?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

Alright guys before i go insane. I have a 05 crd vm 2.8 that I'm removing the head to see whats goin on. Failure of the headgasket I hope and not the head. Anyway, injectors are giving me trouble.. used pry bar j-bar etc. First one came out alright but the second won't budge at all.. I'd rather not order the tool since its 300+ which i would rather use on parts so who fabed one up? Pics? I heard talk here and there from diff posts but as anybody made an effective alternative? Thanks on advance!

Post subject: Re: injector removal without tool?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:09 pm 
LOST Junkie

Spray them down with some good penetration oil. With the hold down and bolt removed try twisting the injector back and forth until it loosens a bit before attempting to remove.

Be sure to mark the location as it dose make a difference.

Good luck.

KJJET

K&N Air Filter, 2nd gen Fuel filter head
NEW Rockers & lifters
Mobil 1 0w-40
Stant 13519 195 deg inline Thermostat.
0 281 002 845 MAP
Etecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs
Advance Gold 800CCA Battery
Traded it for a Quality VW TDI

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:07 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
NO PRY BARS! The valve cover isn't that strong underneath you!

Ok... There isn't anything holding the injectors in, except accumulated filth in the hole. Once you remove the crows-foot clamp, that is it. Now, the way I was able to remove mine without using the tool (Which I had, but was a monumental PITA to use) was fairly simple:

Leave the hard line connected to the injector body, snug the nut up FINGER TIGHT only, then using ONLY YOUR HANDS and not any tools, rock the injector gently back and forth using the injector line as a little bit of a handle. You are attempting to slightly rotate it in the bore, nothing more. As it begins to rotate (it doesn't have far to go in either direction) then you can start attempting to lift with a crow's foot wrench in the slot and levering against something SOFT like a cork or rubber plug as you extract the injector.

They WILL come out without too much argument. I used a shotgun-bore cleaning kit from Walmart (about $6) soaked in brake cleaner to clean out the injector bores. If the copper washer doesn't come out with the injector, there is a narrow copper bottle-brush in that kit that is perfect to stuff into the center of the crush washer and it will pull right out.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the quick response guys. Soaked all the bases in pb blaster over night and gonna go for second round of pulling today

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

Got them out. The 13mm crows foot and extension worked great. Thanks for the help! Saved me 400 bucks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:14 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Good to hear!

When you go to reinstall them, (your local Bosch shop can provide fresh copper crush washers) the torque is ONLY about 30 lb-ft on that crows foot clamp. Also make certain that the 4 steel "buttons" are still in the valve cover under where the other end of the crows-foot contacts. They should be, but if there is an empty recess.... You need to find that button.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:13 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

For what it's worth the FSM says 24 ft lbs for injector retaining bolts. X2 on the buttons, otherwise the foot presses on aluminum and the injectors won't stay solidly held down.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:14 pm 
LOST Addict

Thanks Papaindigo, I didn't have the FSM in front of me. I was going from memory for the torque spec.

Call me lazy, I think when I was reassembling my engine so many times, the torque wrench was already set on 28 for the timing tensioner and I probably just left it there. 24/28/30... Still isn't that much pressure. Just don't overdo it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

This is my first vm so ill take whatever suggestions you guys have. I'm pulling the head after cruiseing along 65ish then white smoke engine stumbleing to a stop and all my coolant went into my oil pan. Towed home and presure tested it. As fast as I can pump it you can hear it hissing center of the motor. Hope its not too ugly under there hopeing the best but expecting the worse. ..125k on the motor now bought it with 95k rocker failure when I bought it last year litterally driving home from after I bought it. (Sand lot) dealer put new rockers, belt, tensioner etc. It was good till now. I'm a Detroit,Mercedes,diesel tech. I work for Ryder so I'm just trying to absorb as much info as a can. This whole belt driven gear train makes me nervous. Seems like a failure prone system. Anything else u guys can think of to help me out will be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:28 am 
LOST Addict

dieseltech87 wrote:
This whole belt driven gear train makes me nervous. Seems like a failure prone system.

You shouldn't be nervous. Timing belts are a proven, reliable technology which, if maintained correctly, will not be a likely failure point in your engine. The biggest issue with them is the high labour cost to replace. Now, if only manufacturers would put some more thought into accessibility.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:03 pm 
LOST Junkie

dieseltech87 wrote:
This is my first vm so ill take whatever suggestions you guys have. I'm pulling the head after cruiseing along 65ish then white smoke engine stumbleing to a stop and all my coolant went into my oil pan. Towed home and presure tested it. As fast as I can pump it you can hear it hissing center of the motor. Hope its not too ugly under there hopeing the best but expecting the worse. ..125k on the motor now bought it with 95k rocker failure when I bought it last year litterally driving home from after I bought it. (Sand lot) dealer put new rockers, belt, tensioner etc. It was good till now. I'm a Detroit,Mercedes,diesel tech. I work for Ryder so I'm just trying to absorb as much info as a can. This whole belt driven gear train makes me nervous. Seems like a failure prone system. Anything else u guys can think of to help me out will be greatly appreciated.

This motor seems somewhat prone to head warping; I put ARP studs in my first one and it has been leak free since.

2005 Liberty CRD- ARP studs, Fumoto, Hayden FC, inline Tstat, ETechno 7v GP, Platinum P1, in-tank lift pump.
1983 Volvo D24T
1981 Volvo D24
Dodge Cummins TD
Case 580B
Mitsubishi MT180 diesel
Kubota BX25 diesel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:49 pm 
LOST Addict

Larry, what torque specs did you use for the studs? I know there are different numbers for the center and the outer studs, I'm just curious how far apart your numbers are. Do you think the factory bolts can be run to the same values for the same effect? I'm thinking that maybe the studs might be more consistent (obviously because of quality of manufacturing) but maybe the 1/2" thickness of the bolts just bypasses any tolerance differences?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:26 am 
LOST Addict

Diesel,

We are particularly interested in what you find because your situation is tbe one we are all wondering about. Namely, when you have a rocker failure due to soot in the oil and you fix it, what happens next?

Sorry you are in this situation, but we all just need to move forward to the point that we know from experience what to advise in the case of a motor that has suffered rocker failure due to soot. This appears to be unique to the NA market, so experience elsewhere is of little value.

Good luck and please keep us posted, with pictures, if possible.

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:38 am 
LOST Newbie

Got the head off and I dropped a intake valve cyl no 2.. ROCKERS DID NOT COLLAPSE! They look and feel brand new.. piston looks like hamburger meat. Half the valve is molded into the head and the liner loosened up. Which means it might of ate into the block. Bought this friggin jeep last year. I still owe money on it!. Im going to step back and weigh some options. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Labor is free but parts alone look like its dipping into the 6k 7k range

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:45 am 
LOST Newbie

Scratch the dropped part. The valve snapped in half the keepers are still intact as well as the seat and spring. Cam gears were tight and seemed to be torqued ok. Its strange. Ill open up a new topic with pictures

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:24 pm 
LOST Addict

Ouch, that sucks.

You are only the second member I have heard about that swallowed a valve, I can't recall if the other one also had the valve shaft snap in half. This could just be a freak failure or defect in the valve shaft itself that caused it to let go.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

Can't decide whether to build or have a crate delivered to my door.. or sell it as is and get a ford escape!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:29 pm 
LOST Addict

So does it look like the valve stuck open or is it the more common scenario where the belt slipped?

Please post those pictures and so sorry about your loss.

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:29 am 
LOST Member

geordi wrote:
NO PRY BARS! The valve cover isn't that strong underneath you!

Ok... There isn't anything holding the injectors in, except accumulated filth in the hole. Once you remove the crows-foot clamp, that is it. Now, the way I was able to remove mine without using the tool (Which I had, but was a monumental PITA to use) was fairly simple:

Leave the hard line connected to the injector body, snug the nut up FINGER TIGHT only, then using ONLY YOUR HANDS and not any tools, rock the injector gently back and forth using the injector line as a little bit of a handle. You are attempting to slightly rotate it in the bore, nothing more. As it begins to rotate (it doesn't have far to go in either direction) then you can start attempting to lift with a crow's foot wrench in the slot and levering against something SOFT like a cork or rubber plug as you extract the injector.

They WILL come out without too much argument. I used a shotgun-bore cleaning kit from Walmart (about $6) soaked in brake cleaner to clean out the injector bores. If the copper washer doesn't come out with the injector, there is a narrow copper bottle-brush in that kit that is perfect to stuff into the center of the crush washer and it will pull right out.

Georgi, did u use the wire brush to clean the seats or a soft brush like the one we use to clean the dishes...

As for the soaking the injector in break cleaner I assume you mean the tip only??

As always thanks for ypur help.

Cheers
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:38 pm 
LOST Addict

The shotgun bore cleaner is what gets soaked in brake cleaner, and then used to swab out the injector bore - the hole in the head.

Leave the injectors alone other than wiping off with a soft cloth.