It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: injector removal without tool?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:47 pm 
LOST Member

geordi wrote:
The shotgun bore cleaner is what gets soaked in brake cleaner, and then used to swab out the injector bore - the hole in the head.

Leave the injectors alone other than wiping off with a soft cloth.

Thank u. I thought that was the case.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:59 pm 
LOST Member

geordi wrote:
NO PRY BARS! The valve cover isn't that strong underneath you!

Ok... There isn't anything holding the injectors in, except accumulated filth in the hole. Once you remove the crows-foot clamp, that is it. Now, the way I was able to remove mine without using the tool (Which I had, but was a monumental PITA to use) was fairly simple:

Leave the hard line connected to the injector body, snug the nut up FINGER TIGHT only, then using ONLY YOUR HANDS and not any tools, rock the injector gently back and forth using the injector line as a little bit of a handle. You are attempting to slightly rotate it in the bore, nothing more. As it begins to rotate (it doesn't have far to go in either direction) then you can start attempting to lift with a crow's foot wrench in the slot and levering against something SOFT like a cork or rubber plug as you extract the injector.

They WILL come out without too much argument. I used a shotgun-bore cleaning kit from Walmart (about $6) soaked in brake cleaner to clean out the injector bores. If the copper washer doesn't come out with the injector, there is a narrow copper bottle-brush in that kit that is perfect to stuff into the center of the crush washer and it will pull right out.

Quick question: do you disconnect the short individual injectors' fuel lines from the common rail prior to attempting this extraction method? My injectors are soaking in PB Blaster overnight, will get to them tomorrow. Thanks! A.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:44 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
yes, leave them attached to the injectors. It makes it easier to put them back later and the attachment is multiple pieces that you don't want to unthread from the injector.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:35 am 
LOST Member

So I presume you disconnect those short fuel lines from the fuel rail to pull the injectors one by one, right?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:04 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Again - yes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:40 pm 
LOST Member

Voila! Got mine out tonight! :pepper: Great instructions, thanks geordi! I guess I still don't quite get the "finger tight snug nut" idea, but anyways. Applied copious amounts of PB Blaster 24 hours in advance. Only the #1 required a tiny bit of a help by craw's foot wrench. Then when I got to #2 and tried to loosen the fuel line nut on it, the injector suddenly moved (twisted)! After some further twisting back and forth I was able to pull it out with just my fingers (lucky sensored word!) with the short fuel line still attached. On the two remaining ones I didn't even bother to disconnect the fuel lines, just disconnected the other end of the short fuel line from the rail and started twisting the injector gently. Here is an extra "twist" I came up with: once the injector budges and starts rotating even by a tiny bit, apply yet another big load of PB Blaster to it. It immediately starts to move easier and with increasing amplitude. My theory being that twisting helps the Blaster to penetrate down and loosen the gunk there - this is of course just a theory. Once it could be twisted with just two fingers, it is ready for twist & pull, fingers only. Good thing it worked the way it did; I swear I won't be able to detach the fuel line from #4 because of the overhanging cables and the proximity of the firewall. Just my 2c. A.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:02 pm 
LOST Newbie

I just removed all of my injectors and installed special tool vm.1072a to test the compression in #1, but now I can't remove the tool!

The actual injectors came out with very little resistance so why would the tool get stuck?

I have applied pb blaster (though I haven't waited 24 hours as was suggested above) and I can twist it back in forth fairly easily, but it will not budge vertically at all!

Any suggestions?

thanks in advance

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:55 pm 
LOST Addict

Bearing in mind that I don't have the tool cases open in front of me... Can you use the Miller injector pulling tool to extract the compression tool?

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

geordi wrote:
Bearing in mind that I don't have the tool cases open in front of me... Can you use the Miller injector pulling tool to extract the compression tool?

Thanks, but I don't have that one... I only bought the adapter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:05 pm 
LOST Member

This is a dead thread but it is the top Google result so here goes:

I've got a handful of CRD injector pullers in stock for just $99 a piece. Or, rent it for $35 (plus $100 deposit), which includes prepaid return shipping.

https://www.idparts.com/fuel-injector-p ... -7312.html